Most efficient tyre width for 17mm witdh (622/700) rim?

BigBen

Guest
Hi All,

I'm using a rear wheel with internal width of 17 mm - which I chose by
ignorance/mistake, but that's anothr story.

I've been using 23mm tyres, and I'm fully aware that the contact
surface of the tyre with the road is far greater that would be in a
narrower rim...

So, with having to try 2 or 3 more measures, which would give the
least contact surface with the road, for the same air pressure -
around 120 psi, possibly 110? 25mm or 28 mm??

By the way, I'm starting to get suspicious on 13 mm width rims... I
have one in the front, and this is now the 2nd tyre, that run on
either, intermidiate recommeded pressure - 100 psi, Hutchinson - and
max. rec. pressure - 115 psi, Michelin Krilium - has started to crack
the sidewalls :p No thorns, stones, or anything like that where I
ride - road only, clean city roads.

I guess my next rim will be 15 mm width ;-)

TIA,

Ride your 2 wheels, but in order to ride them yet another day!
jbr

On Mon, 21 Aug 2006 18:26:31 GMT, [email protected] (BigBen) wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>I'm using a rear wheel with internal width of 17 mm - which I chose by
>ignorance/mistake, but that's anothr story.
>
>I've been using 23mm tyres, and I'm fully aware that the contact
>surface of the tyre with the road is far greater that would be in a
>narrower rim...
>
>So, with having to try 2 or 3 more measures, which would give the
>least contact surface with the road, for the same air pressure -
>around 120 psi, possibly 110? 25mm or 28 mm??

Given the same pressure, the contact area will remain the same. The shape of the
patch will change, but that's about it.

Besides, in any discussion of where the power goes on a bike this is absolutely
trivial.

Ron

>By the way, I'm starting to get suspicious on 13 mm width rims... I
>have one in the front, and this is now the 2nd tyre, that run on
>either, intermidiate recommeded pressure - 100 psi, Hutchinson - and
>max. rec. pressure - 115 psi, Michelin Krilium - has started to crack
>the sidewalls :p No thorns, stones, or anything like that where I
>ride - road only, clean city roads.
>
>I guess my next rim will be 15 mm width ;-)
>
>TIA,
>

>Ride your 2 wheels, but in order to ride them yet another day!
>jbr

On Mon, 21 Aug 2006 18:16:10 -0400, RonSonic
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Given the same pressure, the contact area will remain the same. The shape of the
>patch will change, but that's about it.

Thanks for the thought Ron!

wrote:

>By the way, I'm starting to get suspicious on 13 mm width rims... I
>have one in the front, and this is now the 2nd tyre, that run on
>either, intermidiate recommeded pressure - 100 psi, Hutchinson - and
>max. rec. pressure - 115 psi, Michelin Krilium - has started to crack
>the sidewalls :p No thorns, stones, or anything like that where I
>ride - road only, clean city roads.

Lithium instead of Kriliyum, (sorry), if that makes any diference for
the implied thought...

Ride your 2 wheels, but in order to ride them yet another day!
jbr

In theory you ought to start by selecting the tyre pressure you want
and then select the tyre size for that pressure, and then select a rim.
/* So much for reason. */.

> I'm using a rear wheel with internal width of 17 mm <snip> I've been using 23mm tyres

Very, very small tyre for the rim. With so little depth you will get
impact punctures. The usual references suggest 28mm minimum, and 32mm a
more normal size for 17mm rims. See:

CTC http://www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=3802
Sheldon Brown http://sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html

> I guess my next rim will be 15 mm width ;-)

If only, 15mm is a rare size. Rims seem to be sized 13.5mm (racing),
17mm (touring) or 19mm (mountain, or something). What's missing is a
rim for the _fast_ touring bike. A 15mm rim would suit tyres sized
25..28..32mm perfectly... and I'd really like one. The only 15mm rim
I've seen is made by DT Swiss, called the "RR". Looks like this and is
very expensive:

http://www.dtswiss.com/index.asp?fuseaction=rims.bikedetail&id=8

Anyone know of any other 15mm rims?

On 21 Aug 2006 16:22:27 -0700, "sodaquad" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Very, very small tyre for the rim. With so little depth you will get
>impact punctures. The usual references suggest 28mm minimum, and 32mm a

None so far - about 1000 km on this tyre and rim, at 120 psi.

Other than possible impact problems,any other I should consider?

On the subject of rims and tyres' widths, could the carcass of a 21 mm
tyre be better of in 13 mm rim than a 23 mm tyre?

I can only praise the Maxis Detonator 23mm I have in the rear whell -
fne carcass so far, smooth tyre, and mileage I'll find out.

>> I guess my next rim will be 15 mm width ;-)

>If only, 15mm is a rare size. Rims seem to be sized 13.5mm (racing),

Aparently the Mavic Open Pro is has a 15 mm wide inner well. I'd like
one of those.
http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product-Parent-Mavic-Open-Sport-Black-anodised-alloy-rim-(622)-NEW-REPLACES-MA3-12030.htm

Ride your 2 wheels, but in order to ride them yet another day!
bbb

On 21 Aug 2006 16:22:27 -0700, "sodaquad" <[email protected]> wrote:

>If only, 15mm is a rare size. Rims seem to be sized 13.5mm (racing),

PS - I don't where you are, but if some European country, you might
have there a representative of a Portuguese maker, which sells its
rims as "Vuelta" branded, and they do make 1 model 15 mm width:
http://www.rodi.pt/
ENTER Rims and wheels;
Chose Products;
Then, Rims, Road;
Select the Kronos model (It is available both in 13, and 15 mm witdh.

Next select Agents, to see if there any in your country.

The rims are VERY cheap!

Ride your 2 wheels, but in order to ride them yet another day!
bbb

sodaquad <[email protected]> wrote:

> The only 15mm rim
> I've seen is made by DT Swiss, called the "RR". Looks like this and is
> very expensive:
>
> http://www.dtswiss.com/index.asp?fuseaction=rims.bikedetail&id=8

I haven't actually measured mine, but I'm pretty sure that the RR1.1 is
about the same width as most racing rims. They are slightly narrower
from the outside than my Campagnolo Eurus wheels, which I occasionally
use on the same bike. The difference is small, but I need to adjust the
brakes a little.

-as