Most embarrassing moment!

Altwegg. Re stolen bike. :'( That was all a long time age and my memory is not what it was. (Maybe I should change my name tag from "Old Timer" to "Altsheimer"?). ::)
Just remember it was a hand built frame by a English company called Mercian with Reynold 531(?) tubing and Campag 10 speed gears. Spent about six months thinking, dreaming and designing the frame angles, type of braised lugs, paint job etc. I've never ever since put that much thought into buying a car! I mean YOU know, a car's a car but a bike's a bike. ;)

By Campag 10 speed, you mean 2 chainrings and 5 cogs right? ;)

Do you have any pics of your classic rig? Post it here!

Altwegg. No pics, just a sad memory! :'( Yes, 2 chainrings and 5 cogs. Front changer was direct lever operated at bottom of seat post. (No cable). Sounds awkward now but wasn't in practice.

Re: Mercian. Early to mid-sixties model? Probably a collectable nowadays, Old Timer. I bought one of those front changers about then, & put it on my 10 spd. Bertin. Reach down between the legs to change the gear. Chromium plated, it was, don't remember the brand name. When the novelty wore off, I put the white nylon Simplex down tube shifters back on. Probably gave it away later, shoulda kept it.
What about some of the early European rear derailleurs? Step 1. Unlock the rear axle (whilst riding). 2. Select new gear. (axle moves back or forth in the slots to take up chain slack). 3. Lock up rear axle. Haven't we got it easy these days!

You guys sound like you were riding bikes long before Fausto Coppi got on his Big Wheel. ;D

Willie. Bike in question was about 1954. Expect Mercian frame builders long since gone?! :'( Must check with my mate in France that I used to ride with in those days. He's a mine of info on old bikes. Has over a 100! Remember front changer had a knob shaped like an acorn. Never tried (or want to! :eek:) any of those rear derails you mention. ;)

You guys sound like you were riding bikes long before Fausto Coppi got on his Big Wheel.  ;D

Maybe I should change my name to Gerry - short for Geriatric. :)

Hi Old Timer. I don't know if Mercian is still going, but the occassional bike turns up on the U.S. ebay, and is promptly snaffled up. They seem to be a collectable there. I think Bertin has long gone, also Legnano. Saw a Jack Taylor tandem trike in a museum recently, plus lots of other nice old bikes.

First time trial ever. :p Got warmed up then waited nervously to be called up. ::) Finally got ready to go and had the 30 second countdown (fingers flying in my face as the count continued). Looked down at my gears and discovered I'm on the big ring and cog. :eek: 5 seconds to go and the sweat is pouring out of me (had visions of just falling over) :-[

Got off the start line - only just. Strained for momentum grabbed a gear or two and disappeared down the course. Glad when it was all over and I could pack the bike up and get out of there ;)

Hasn't happened since.