crossing at the island asked if I was ok but none of the car drivers did,
they just sat in the queue. I suppose they were all laughing too much.

--
peter

Cheap train tickets database
http://www.petereverett.co.uk/tickets/

Email sent to this address is generally deleted upon arrival
Visit website if you want to contact me

On 2007-02-26 15:25:31 +0000, "naked_draughtsman"
<[email protected]> said:

> I've had clipless pedals for a few weeks now and I've really taken to them
> and always managed to unclip before falling off - until this morning.
>
> And the timing couldn't be worse as it was in the morning rush hour with
> lots of people around: the car behind was following a bend in a queue in a
> one way system and his font bumper was getting a little too close to my leg
> for comfort so I stopped to let him sort himself out - unfortunately I
> couldn't get my foot out and I fell over (in what seemed like slow motion)
> onto a traffic island!
>
> Bike and rider ok and the only damage was in self pride. Another cyclist
> crossing at the island asked if I was ok but none of the car drivers did,
> they just sat in the queue. I suppose they were all laughing too much.

I'm afraid I would laugh at that as well, the first time I did that was
on a two wheeled recumbent,
stopped did the slow motion fall and stopped myself at 45 deg to the
ground with my hand, then
realised I was truly stuffed, the weight of leaning over stopped me
from unclipping so I had to let myself the rest of the way down before
I could unclip, must have taken a good minute, but seemed
like an age. I don't have to unclip now as I ride a trike.
--
Three wheels good, two wheels ok

www.catrike.co.uk

"naked_draughtsman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I've had clipless pedals for a few weeks now and I've really taken to them
> and always managed to unclip before falling off - until this morning.
>
> And the timing couldn't be worse as it was in the morning rush hour with
> lots of people around: the car behind was following a bend in a queue in a
> one way system and his font bumper was getting a little too close to my leg
> for comfort so I stopped to let him sort himself out - unfortunately I
> couldn't get my foot out and I fell over (in what seemed like slow motion)
> onto a traffic island!
>
> Bike and rider ok and the only damage was in self pride. Another cyclist
> crossing at the island asked if I was ok but none of the car drivers did,
> they just sat in the queue. I suppose they were all laughing too much.
>
> --
> peter

Been there, done that! Day three of clipless about 2 years ago, --- when I
stopped at traffic lights and gently toppled left. Hugely dented pride --
especially at my age. The truck driver alongside asked if I was OK. The gang
of youths on the pavement fell about "laffing"!
I just got up and set off asp ( then stopped again half a mile on to brush of
my grazed left leg and swear at myself!)
Don't think I have suffered like that since due to forgetting to "unclip"!

Good for the soul though!
--
Trevor A Panther
In South Yorkshire,

> I've had clipless pedals for a few weeks now and I've really taken to
> them and always managed to unclip before falling off - until this
> morning.

Ah, I laugh just reading about it. This is unlikely to happen to me on my
multi-way SPDs, but the LOOKs are so much harder to get out of. It's only
a matter of time...

Mark Thompson said the following on 26/02/2007 16:12:

> Ah, I laugh just reading about it. This is unlikely to happen to me on my
> multi-way SPDs, but the LOOKs are so much harder to get out of. It's only
> a matter of time...

Multi-release SPDs - chicken!!!

They've saved me from a few embarrassments as well :) I bought some
Time ATACs, but I'm too chicken to put them on my bike - once you're in,
you're in!

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

On 26 Feb, 15:25, "naked_draughtsman" <[email protected]>
wrote:
> I've had clipless pedals for a few weeks now and I've really taken to them
> and always managed to unclip before falling off - until this morning.

[snip]

> Bike and rider ok and the only damage was in self pride. Another cyclist
> crossing at the island asked if I was ok but none of the car drivers did,
> they just sat in the queue. I suppose they were all laughing too much.

Glad that you are okay. I'm going clipless when my new bike arrives at
the end of next month and I remain apprehensive of similar
misfortunes.

Cheers,
Luke

On 26 Feb 2007 07:53:37 -0800
[email protected] wrote:

> Did it in front of somebody I had been dating for only two weeks. The
> Gods of cycling are deturmind to keep me single!

/me wonders who would let a minor embarrassment (and good laugh)
like that get in the way of True Love:)

Unless ...

--
not me guv

Done it twice* now in my short (6 month) cycling adventures, on
isolated bridlepaths fortunately. Both times where the wheel has gone
down a rut to the left. The right knee is definitely weak and has
problems disengaging in a hurry, I just can't put enough rotation
through it even with the SPD's on the lightest setting. I'm hoping
that wear etc takes its toll and they get a little easier still.
Either that or its time to get a file out and add some "wear".

* my third and latest off didn't even give me time to let go of the
bars before they applied my face to the road, let alone disengage feet
from peddles. Still the blood did a very good impression of a Jackson
Pollock ...

in message <[email protected]>, Paul Boyd
('usenet.dont.work@plusnet') wrote:

> Mark Thompson said the following on 26/02/2007 16:12:
>
>> Ah, I laugh just reading about it. This is unlikely to happen to me on
>> my
>> multi-way SPDs, but the LOOKs are so much harder to get out of. It's
>> only a matter of time...

> Multi-release SPDs - chicken!!!
>
> They've saved me from a few embarrassments as well :) I bought some
> Time ATACs, but I'm too chicken to put them on my bike - once you're in,
> you're in!

I really, really like ATACs for mountain biking, and for utility road
riding. They're good and secure in normal use, but they let go really
easily when you want them to. They also clear mud much better than SPDs.

;; 99% of browsers can't run ActiveX controls. Unfortunately
;; 99% of users are using the 1% of browsers that can...
[seen on /. 08:04:02]

On 26/02/2007 17:43, Simon Brooke said,

> I really, really like ATACs for mountain biking, and for utility road
> riding. They're good and secure in normal use, but they let go really
> easily when you want them to. They also clear mud much better than SPDs.

It was for mountain biking that I bought them, because I just couldn't
see SPDs working well in claggy mud. ATACs just seemed to secure your
feet so well that I couldn't see them releasing that easily - I have the
non-adjustable version, which perhaps is my mistake. My plan is to get
used to them on my commuting bike first, once I get around to putting
them on there and swapping cleats.

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

('[email protected]') wrote:

> On 26/02/2007 17:43, Simon Brooke said,
>
>> I really, really like ATACs for mountain biking, and for utility road
>> riding. They're good and secure in normal use, but they let go really
>> easily when you want them to. They also clear mud much better than SPDs.

> It was for mountain biking that I bought them, because I just couldn't
> see SPDs working well in claggy mud. ATACs just seemed to secure your
> feet so well that I couldn't see them releasing that easily - I have the
> non-adjustable version, which perhaps is my mistake.

ATACs aren't adjustable, it's the nature of the beast. Don't need to be - I
really think you'll be surprised how quickly you get used to them (and how
much you like them).

;; Women are from Venus. Men are from Mars. Lusers are from Uranus.

On 26/02/2007 23:25, Simon Brooke said,

> ATACs aren't adjustable, it's the nature of the beast.

ATAC XSs are adjustable, according to the instructions that came with my
Aliums.

> really think you'll be surprised how quickly you get used to them (and how
> much you like them).

I've hoiked them out to fit to my commuter this weekend. I don't want
my first ride to be a commuter ride because my brain doesn't kick in in
time for a morning commute :)

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

"longwayround" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On 26 Feb, 15:25, "naked_draughtsman" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>> I've had clipless pedals for a few weeks now and I've really taken to
>> them
>> and always managed to unclip before falling off - until this morning.

> [snip]
>
>> Bike and rider ok and the only damage was in self pride. Another cyclist
>> crossing at the island asked if I was ok but none of the car drivers did,
>> they just sat in the queue. I suppose they were all laughing too much.

> Glad that you are okay. I'm going clipless when my new bike arrives at
> the end of next month and I remain apprehensive of similar
> misfortunes.

Most people I spoke to before switching said it happens within the week or
so. As I've had them for much longer I thought I'd got away with it!

Ankle was stinging a lot in the shower today and after I realised I'd
scratched it (presumably from the fall) and I've also got a rather sore hip
and shoulder! A delayed reaction it seems :eek:(

--
peter

Cheap train tickets database
http://www.petereverett.co.uk/tickets/

Email sent to this address is generally deleted upon arrival
Visit website if you want to contact me

> Happens to everyone at least once; don't let it upset you.

Bloke at bike hire place, Upper Derwent (Ladybower) saw me walking awkward
on cleats and shouted "You're wearing STIs!" - "wot I said?" - "Sold To
Idiots" said he.

I've used this tale ever since, but stil use Look cleats -without any
difficulties (thankfully).

John
www.calder-clarion.co.uk

On 26/02/2007 23:25, Simon Brooke said,

> ATACs aren't adjustable, it's the nature of the beast. Don't need to be - I
> really think you'll be surprised how quickly you get used to them (and how
> much you like them).

Well, I've tried, and I've failed. There's certainly no doubt about how
securely your feet are held in, but I'm just physically unable to twist
my foot out far enough comfortably to release, particularly my left, and
even then only with the pedal in the 6 o'clock position. I found that
if I just snatched my right leg sideways it would release, but that
didn't seem to work so well with the left, and was a little undignified
for general use!

Not that there's much twist adjustment of the cleat fitting, but I had
it twisted as far as I was able in the appropriate direction. The
release angle is supposed to be 13 degrees - I don't know what it is on
SPDs but it seems a lot less. I've also noticed that with SPDs, I tend
to twist my left foot inwards to release rather than outwards, so
perhaps I'm just not made to twist :)

I'm still not happy to put SPDs on my MTB, because that low release
angle I'm sure will cause problems as I move about the bike. Even on my
road bike if I drop a knee on the inside of a bend I can accidentally
unclip.

So, the flats are back on the MTB (again) until I come up with more
inspiration - I suspect it will be SPDs on there.

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

Paul Boyd wrote:
> On 26/02/2007 23:25, Simon Brooke said,
>
>> ATACs aren't adjustable, it's the nature of the beast. Don't need to
>> be - I
>> really think you'll be surprised how quickly you get used to them (and
>> how
>> much you like them).

> Well, I've tried, and I've failed. There's certainly no doubt about how
> securely your feet are held in, but I'm just physically unable to twist
> my foot out far enough comfortably to release, particularly my left, and
> even then only with the pedal in the 6 o'clock position. I found that
> if I just snatched my right leg sideways it would release, but that
> didn't seem to work so well with the left, and was a little undignified
> for general use!
>
> Not that there's much twist adjustment of the cleat fitting, but I had
> it twisted as far as I was able in the appropriate direction. The
> release angle is supposed to be 13 degrees - I don't know what it is on
> SPDs but it seems a lot less. I've also noticed that with SPDs, I tend
> to twist my left foot inwards to release rather than outwards, so
> perhaps I'm just not made to twist :)

A possibly silly suggestion - you did have the cleats on the correct
feet? ATAC cleats will work on either foot, but if you put them the
"wrong" feet around you have a greater angle to move before release.
This is mentioned in the manual as a way of customising the fit.

Matt

Matthew Haigh said the following on 11/03/2007 23:28:

> A possibly silly suggestion - you did have the cleats on the correct
> feet?

Not a silly suggestion, and I did have them the right way round. I
tried the "wrong" way round as well, and once I got the right foot out I
had to sort of hop over the bike to be able to get my left foot out.
This trial was done in the privacy of my bike workshop (aka kitchen) to
avoid embarrassment :)

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/