Most 'exotic' roadkill?

Mark Thompson

Guest
Vernon's inclusion of an "exotica" roadkill category had me thinking. What
kind of exotica is out on our roads?

What's the most exotic (or unexpected) roadkill you've seen on your bicycle
travels?

Mark Thompson wrote:
> Vernon's inclusion of an "exotica" roadkill category had me thinking. What
> kind of exotica is out on our roads?
>
> What's the most exotic (or unexpected) roadkill you've seen on your bicycle
> travels?

I am not sure if this is regarded as exotic, but I have killed several
insects after accidentally ingesting them.

Martin.

Mark Thompson wrote on 12/03/2007 23:24 +0100:
> Vernon's inclusion of an "exotica" roadkill category had me thinking. What
> kind of exotica is out on our roads?
>
> What's the most exotic (or unexpected) roadkill you've seen on your bicycle
> travels?

Not roadkill but cycling on our tandems in Finland an odd creature ran
across the road in front of us - a sort of brown badger. After some
searching of local wildlife books we identified it as a wolverine which
is apparently extremely rare in those parts.

--
Tony

"...has many omissions and contains much that is apocryphal, or at least
wildly inaccurate..."
Douglas Adams; The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

In article <[email protected]>, Martin Dann
[email protected] says...
> Mark Thompson wrote:
> > Vernon's inclusion of an "exotica" roadkill category had me thinking. What
> > kind of exotica is out on our roads?
> >
> > What's the most exotic (or unexpected) roadkill you've seen on your bicycle
> > travels?

> I am not sure if this is regarded as exotic, but I have killed several
> insects after accidentally ingesting them.

I caught a wasp in my mouth once. 8:O

"Rob Morley" <[email protected]> wrote in message >> > What's the most
exotic (or unexpected) roadkill you've seen on your bicycle
>> > travels?

>> I am not sure if this is regarded as exotic, but I have killed several
>> insects after accidentally ingesting them.
>>

> I caught a wasp in my mouth once. 8:O

A roadside mole at Bolton Abbey?

John clayton
www.calder-clarion.co.uk

Mark Thompson
<pleasegivegenerously@warmmail*_turn_up_the_heat_to_reply*.com> of wrote:

>Vernon's inclusion of an "exotica" roadkill category had me thinking. What
>kind of exotica is out on our roads?
>
>What's the most exotic (or unexpected) roadkill you've seen on your bicycle
>travels?

A blue budgerigar on my commute to work in South Manchester (for Mark's
benefit, it was on Fog Lane).
--
Steph Peters
Chorlton Wanderers Cycling Group

On 2007-03-12 23:24:40 +0000, Mark Thompson
<pleasegivegenerously@warmmail*_turn_up_the_heat_to_reply*.com> said:

> Vernon's inclusion of an "exotica" roadkill category had me thinking. What
> kind of exotica is out on our roads?
>
> What's the most exotic (or unexpected) roadkill you've seen on your bicycle
> travels?

While cycling on Florida a few years ago, came across an alligator which then
proceeded to show it was not dead and could run surprisingly quickly, not as
quick as me bricking it on an MTB though, although I think we were both just
travelling in the same direction as it veered off and plunged into a drainage
channel.

--
Three wheels good, two wheels ok

www.catrike.co.uk

Mark Thompson wrote:

> Vernon's inclusion of an "exotica" roadkill category had me thinking. What
> kind of exotica is out on our roads?
>
> What's the most exotic (or unexpected) roadkill you've seen on your bicycle
> travels?

Exotic?
Loads of big snakes in various deserts & mountains

Unexpected?
1. Turned a corner (at speed) on narrow country lane in Normandy to be
confronted by a cow across the road, upside down, with its legs set rigor
mortis in the air.
A brake slamming moment followed.

2. A dead trout.

John B

On 12 Mar 2007 23:24:40 GMT, Mark Thompson
<pleasegivegenerously@warmmail*_turn_up_the_heat_to_reply*.com> wrote:

>What's the most exotic (or unexpected) roadkill you've seen on your bicycle
>travels?

The *only* red squirrel I have ever seen was approaching 2-dimensional
status just south of Aviemore. Bloody skiers.

"Pete Connors" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On 12 Mar 2007 23:24:40 GMT, Mark Thompson
> <pleasegivegenerously@warmmail*_turn_up_the_heat_to_reply*.com> wrote:
>
>>What's the most exotic (or unexpected) roadkill you've seen on your
>>bicycle
>>travels?

> The *only* red squirrel I have ever seen was approaching 2-dimensional
> status just south of Aviemore. Bloody skiers.

Today, coming from Dunford Bridge toward Woodhead Pass a very flat White
(Arctic?) Hare.
Is it really Arctic or just an interesting Yorkshire jobbie?

John
www.calder-clarion.co.uk

in message <[email protected]>, John Clayton
('[email protected]') wrote:

> "Pete Connors" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> On 12 Mar 2007 23:24:40 GMT, Mark Thompson
>> <pleasegivegenerously@warmmail*_turn_up_the_heat_to_reply*.com> wrote:
>>
>>>What's the most exotic (or unexpected) roadkill you've seen on your
>>>bicycle
>>>travels?

>> The *only* red squirrel I have ever seen was approaching 2-dimensional
>> status just south of Aviemore. Bloody skiers.

> Today, coming from Dunford Bridge toward Woodhead Pass a very flat White
> (Arctic?) Hare.
> Is it really Arctic or just an interesting Yorkshire jobbie?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mountain_hare

Native. Quite common in the Pentlands around Edinburgh, not uncommon here.

;; killing [afghan|iraqi] civilians is not 'justice'

Martin Dann <[email protected]> whizzed past me shouting
>Mark Thompson wrote:
>> Vernon's inclusion of an "exotica" roadkill category had me thinking.
>>What kind of exotica is out on our roads?
>> What's the most exotic (or unexpected) roadkill you've seen on your
>>bicycle travels?

>I am not sure if this is regarded as exotic, but I have killed several
>insects after accidentally ingesting them.

I've found a stag beetle, squashed but clearly recognisable.
A grass snake.
A turkey (the amount of feathers was simply unbelieveable)
A football (it can't be easy to run over one of those)
A red kite.

--
Sue ]:(:)

Why aren't we demandng regular retests for motorists?
It's obvious a lot of them would fail and that'd solve the congestion problem.

> I've found a stag beetle, squashed but clearly recognisable.
> A grass snake.
> A turkey (the amount of feathers was simply unbelieveable)
> A football (it can't be easy to run over one of those)
> A red kite.

I used to bring them home for me and the boys to dissect.
weasels, stoat, starling, grass-snake, sparrowhawk,voles, shrew and
mice, moles, grouse
If it wouldn't fit in my saddle bag I left it.
we had the sparrowhawk stuffed.
TerryJ

On Mar 12, 11:24 pm, Mark Thompson
<pleasegivegenerously@warmmail*_turn_up_the_heat_to_reply*.com> wrote:
> Vernon's inclusion of an "exotica" roadkill category had me thinking. What
> kind of exotica is out on our roads?
>
> What's the most exotic (or unexpected) roadkill you've seen on your bicycle
> travels?

somewhat off the original question, in that I wasn't cycling, and it
wasn't quite a "kill", but there was a bathtub sat in the fast lane of
the M5 last week. People were being quite sensible and managing to
avoid it, but could have been quite impressive if someone had hit it.
Think it was plastic rather than Victorian cast iron. Mind you a
friend's dad supposedly ran into a lathe sat on the motorway but I
can't vouch for the latter story! Quite a thing to lose off the back
of your lorry - .

Hywel

In news:[email protected],
hyweldavies <[email protected]> tweaked the Babbage-Engine to tell us:

> somewhat off the original question, in that I wasn't cycling, and it
> wasn't quite a "kill", but there was a bathtub sat in the fast lane of
> the M5 last week. People were being quite sensible and managing to
> avoid it, but could have been quite impressive if someone had hit it.
> Think it was plastic rather than Victorian cast iron. Mind you a
> friend's dad supposedly ran into a lathe sat on the motorway but I
> can't vouch for the latter story! Quite a thing to lose off the back
> of your lorry - .

Came close to scoring a double mattress at the bottom of the M11 a few years
ago; the spare wheel from a Citroen BX detached itself from its parent
motorcar as I followed it up the A1 and as a small Mr Larrington, with Mrs
Larrington (decd.) at the wheel, a Phenomenal Avoidance ensued when a Thing
resembling a six-foot diameter Brillo pad dropped off the back of a lorry
exiting a roundabout near High Wycombe.

Phixer Phil Chadwick encountered a sofa on the M4 last week, but it was that
motorised one :)

--
Dave Larrington
And then there was light and He thought it was good, so He threw