Most expensive bike?

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by David S. Maddis, Sep 16, 2003.

  1. What is the most expensive bike you have heard about?

    David

    Tags:

  2. Dyno

    Dyno Guest

  3. Nickzx6r

    Nickzx6r Guest

    David S. Maddison <[email protected]> wrote:

    > What is the most expensive bike you have heard about?

    > David

    In recent memory there was the Bianchi Ducati Corse which I think was around $15K, but I can't
    remember if that was AUD. May have actually been USD.

    But in that case price doesn't reflect quality. It reflects the willingness of buyers to pay that
    much and/or the level of profit desired by the manufacturer/seller.

    --
    Nick

  4. Hippy

    Hippy Guest

  5. Sm

    Sm Guest

  6. DurangoKid

    DurangoKid New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 3, 2003
    Beryllium is an interesting material. From

    http://pearl1.lanl.gov/periodic/elements/4.html:

    Atomic Number: 4
    Atomic Symbol: Be
    Atomic Weight: 9.01218
    Electron Configuration: [He]2s2

    History
    (Gr. beryllos, beryl; also called Glucinium or Glucinum, Gr. glykys, sweet) Discovered as the oxide by Vauquelin in beryl and in emeralds in 1798. The metal was isolated in 1828 by Wohler and by Bussy independently by the action of potassium on beryllium chloride.

    Sources
    Beryllium is found in some 30 mineral species, the most important of which are bertrandite, beryl, chrysoberyl, and phenacite. Aquamarine and emerald are precious forms of beryl. Beryl and bertrandite are the most important commercial sources of the element and its compounds. Most of the metal is now prepared by reducing beryllium fluoride with magnesium metal. Beryllium metal did not become readily available to industry until 1957.

    Properties
    The metal, steel gray in color, has many desirable properties. As one of the lightest of all metals, it has one of the highest melting points of the light metals. Its modulus of elasticity is about one third greater than that of steel. It resists attack by concentrated nitric acid, has excellent thermal conductivity, and is nonmagnetic. It has a high permeability to X-rays and when bombarded by alpha particles, as from radium or polonium, neutrons are produced in the amount of about 30 neutrons/million alpha particles.

    At ordinary temperatures, beryllium resists oxidation in air, although its ability to scratch glass is probably due to the formation of a thin layer of the oxide.

    Uses
    Beryllium is used as an alloying agent in producing beryllium copper, which is extensively used for springs, electrical contacts, spot-welding electrodes, and non-sparking tools. It is applied as a structural material for high-speed aircraft, missiles, spacecraft, and communication satellites. Other uses include windshield frame, brake discs, support beams, and other structural components of the space shuttle.

    Because beryllium is relatively transparent to X-rays, ultra-thin Be-foil is finding use in X-ray lithography for reproduction of micro-miniature integrated circuits.

    Beryllium is used in nuclear reactors as a reflector or moderator for it has a low thermal neutron absorption cross section.

    It is used in gyroscopes, computer parts, and instruments where lightness, stiffness, and dimensional stability are required. The oxide has a very high melting point and is also used in nuclear work and ceramic applications.

    Handling
    Beryllium and its salts are toxic and should be handled with the greatest of care. Beryllium and its compounds should not be tasted to verify the sweetish nature of beryllium (as did early experimenters). The metal, its alloys, and its salts can be handled if certain work codes are observed, but no attempt should be made to work with beryllium before becoming familiar with proper safeguards.

    Furthermore, cuts and scratches contaminated with beryllium and its compounds don't heal. It also propigates sound faster than any other material: 28,860 mph. Mach 1 in air is 740 mph. For steel it's 11,630. Water, 3351 mph.

    Why would anyone want to ride toxic waste?

  7. Rickster

    Rickster Guest

    "David S. Maddison" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > What is the most expensive bike you have heard about?
    >
    > David

    Posted thisa few weeks bakc. O'Grady's 1997 TdF bike for AU $ 29,500 at Trak cycles in
    Southland, Melbourne

  8. Hippy

    Hippy Guest

    "rickster" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Posted thisa few weeks bakc. O'Grady's 1997 TdF bike for AU $ 29,500 at Trak cycles in Southland,
    > Melbourne

    What is the most expensive non-limited edition, non-special edition, standard "production" bike
    out there?

    Oh, by the way.. My Peugeot is on sale. You can have it for, um.. $30 billion

    hippy
    - do i win?
    - no points for $30bil + $1, etc. either :p

  9. Karma_2120

    Karma_2120 Guest

  10. Tim Jones

    Tim Jones Guest

    > "rickster" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Posted thisa few weeks bakc. O'Grady's 1997 TdF bike for AU $ 29,500 at Trak cycles in
    > > Southland, Melbourne
    >
    > What is the most expensive non-limited edition, non-special edition, standard "production" bike
    > out there?
    >
    > Oh, by the way.. My Peugeot is on sale. You can have it for, um.. $30 billion
    >
    > hippy
    > - do i win?
    > - no points for $30bil + $1, etc. either :p

    I had a Peugot for quite a while - great bike. Totalled it by riding down St Kilda rd in torrential
    rain. The council kindly put a barrier across the cycling lane with no lights.

    Look up... Head out of the rain... Look up... Head out of the rain... Loo...
    Sssshhh!!!!!ttttttt!!!!!!

    Hit it with my road bike, bent the front wheel in half, the frame had crumple zones, broke the
    wooden barrier in two. Flipped over the front of the bike and landed on my arse!

    Tim

  11. Hippy

    Hippy Guest

    "Tim Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:3f69a479$0$23594
    > Hit it with my road bike, bent the front wheel in half, the frame had crumple zones, broke the
    > wooden barrier in two. Flipped over the front of the bike and landed on my arse!

    Ooooh.. nasty! Gee, if it's not cars gettin' in our way....

    Don't wanna buy mine for >$30kUSD so I can claim to have owned the most expensive bike? Mmm new
    Cervelo... ;-)

    hippy