most fun half ironmans recently completed

Hi all,

I am looking to do a half ironman this year. I have completed the
distance before, but not for many years and I'm out of the loop as to
what are the best races.

I am not looking for a PR. I'm looking to hang out with friends and
have fun. Ideally, I'd like a race in July or later of this year, in
a fun location to visit with a great afterparty.

Mooseman Tri has been suggested but it is a little early in the season
for me to be ready. Even though I don't want a PR, I want enough time
to prepare.

Any suggestions?

[email protected] wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am looking to do a half ironman this year. I have completed the
> distance before, but not for many years and I'm out of the loop as to
> what are the best races.
>
> I am not looking for a PR. I'm looking to hang out with friends and
> have fun. Ideally, I'd like a race in July or later of this year, in
> a fun location to visit with a great afterparty.
>
> Mooseman Tri has been suggested but it is a little early in the season
> for me to be ready. Even though I don't want a PR, I want enough time
> to prepare.
>
> Any suggestions?

Hi,

I can recommend the High Cliffs Triathlon in Neenah, Wisconsin. It is
fairly low key with a flat-to-rolling bike course through farm fields.
They talk about the big hill they call the "high cliff", but you really
only go over it twice, once on the bike and once on the run.

The thing I really like about this race is the run. Once you get up the
hill, you run two loops through the forest on the state park nature
trails. It's kind-of a cross between trail running and road running,
and pretty much all in the shade. There aren't any technical sections
so you can wear your racing flats if you want to.

They have a pasta fed after the race. I wouldn't call it a big party
(like there aren't any kegs of beer or anything like that), but the
people are friendly and it's a pretty fun race. A lot of Wisconsinites
use it as training for the Wisconsin Ironman.

The race is near the end of June, and the entry fee is pretty reasonable.

good luck,
Bob

On Feb 13, 7:44 am, [email protected] wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am looking to do a half ironman this year.  I have completed the
> distance before, but not for many years and I'm out of the loop as to
> what are the best races.
>
> I am not looking for a PR.  I'm looking to hang out with friends and
> have fun.  Ideally, I'd like a race in July or later of this year, in
> a fun location to visit with a great afterparty.
>
> Mooseman Tri has been suggested but it is a little early in the season
> for me to be ready.  Even though I don't want a PR, I want enough time
> to prepare.
>
> Any suggestions?

The Timberman Half IM in Guilford NH is a great race and takes place
in August. It is already full this year, but you may want to think
about it for next year. Also, I have heard that the Half in Austin TX
is good, fairly new, but has a great race director. That one is in
Oct.