Most Goathead-Resistant Tires

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Greg Dunn, Jun 12, 2003.

  1. Greg Dunn

    Greg Dunn Guest

    Where I bike, "goathead" thorns abound. These are ingenious little devils with a base shaped like a
    medieval mace and a single spine that sticks out like a straight pin. They are designed so that when
    they fall on the ground, they often land with the spine sticking straight up. Riding over them is
    like traversing a pincushion that has needles stuck in it with their sharp ends facing out.

    For normal use, I have Continental Top Touring 2000s on my bike (a RANS V-Rex). They are much better
    against the goatheads than other tires I've used (Primo Comets, Tioga Comp Pools) BUT I'm looking to
    outfit a spare wheelset with faster, higher pressure tires. Obvious candidates are kevlar tires like
    the kevlar Primo Racers and Schwalbe Stelvios, but some swear by certain non-kevlar tires such as
    the Schwalbe Marathons.

    What's your vote? I need one 26" (559mm) and one 20" (409mm) tire, neither wider than 1.5". Please
    speak also to the speed and handling characteristics of the tire, if you can.

    Thanks!

    --
    Greg Dunn www.BicycleCommuter.com

    Tags:

  2. Greg Dunn

    Greg Dunn Guest

    Oh, I see that the Schwalbe Marathons kevlar as well. So anyway...

    --
    Greg Dunn

    "Greg Dunn" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:sa%[email protected]...
    > Where I bike, "goathead" thorns abound. These are ingenious little devils with a base shaped like
    > a medieval mace and a single spine that sticks out like a straight pin. They are designed so that
    > when they fall on the ground, they often land with the spine sticking straight up. Riding over
    > them is like traversing a pincushion that has needles stuck in it with
    their
    > sharp ends facing out.
    >
    > For normal use, I have Continental Top Touring 2000s on my bike (a RANS V-Rex). They are much
    > better against the goatheads than other tires I've used (Primo Comets, Tioga Comp Pools) BUT I'm
    > looking to outfit a spare wheelset with faster, higher pressure tires. Obvious candidates are
    > kevlar tires like the kevlar Primo Racers and Schwalbe Stelvios, but some swear
    by
    > certain non-kevlar tires such as the Schwalbe Marathons.
    >
    > What's your vote? I need one 26" (559mm) and one 20" (409mm) tire,
    neither
    > wider than 1.5". Please speak also to the speed and handling characteristics of the tire, if
    > you can.
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > --
    > Greg Dunn www.BicycleCommuter.com

  3. dcriswell41

    dcriswell41 Guest

    I live in the king of goathead country, Albuquerque, NM. The rental bike company here tells me this
    is a surefire way to prevent goatburr flats = tire liners + thornproof tubes + slime. They never
    flat from goatburrs.

    On Thu, 12 Jun 2003 13:24:40 GMT, "Greg Dunn" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Where I bike, "goathead" thorns abound. These are ingenious little devils with a base shaped like a
    >medieval mace and a single spine that sticks out like a straight pin. They are designed so that
    >when they fall on the ground, they often land with the spine sticking straight up. Riding over them
    >is like traversing a pincushion that has needles stuck in it with their sharp ends facing out.
    >
    >For normal use, I have Continental Top Touring 2000s on my bike (a RANS V-Rex). They are much
    >better against the goatheads than other tires I've used (Primo Comets, Tioga Comp Pools) BUT I'm
    >looking to outfit a spare wheelset with faster, higher pressure tires. Obvious candidates are
    >kevlar tires like the kevlar Primo Racers and Schwalbe Stelvios, but some swear by certain
    >non-kevlar tires such as the Schwalbe Marathons.
    >
    >What's your vote? I need one 26" (559mm) and one 20" (409mm) tire, neither wider than 1.5". Please
    >speak also to the speed and handling characteristics of the tire, if you can.
    >
    >Thanks!

  4. Bill Anton

    Bill Anton Guest

    Plenty of goatheads around here too, though they are mainly the nemesis of mountain bike and lawn
    mower tires. I use Shwalbe Marathons, no slime, no liner, and have had only one flat in 2500 miles
    (a roofing nail!) but I stick to the paved roads and the occasional short stretch of gravel road.
    It's the off-roading where you'll likely encounter goathead plants. The mountain bikers around here
    use Slime by the gallon. I would not expect even the Marathons to stand up to goatheads, one of the
    nastiest spiny seeds in God's creation. Dog's don't like 'em much either.

    Bill Anton 2001 Vision R-40 SWB OSS Lubbock, TX, USA

    "Greg Dunn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<sa%[email protected]>...
    > Where I bike, "goathead" thorns abound. These are ingenious little devils with a base shaped
    > like a medieval mace and a single spine that sticks out like a straight pin. They are designed
    > so that when they fall on the ground, they often land with the spine sticking straight up.
    > Riding over them is like traversing a pincushion that has needles stuck in it with their sharp
    > ends facing out.
    >
    > For normal use, I have Continental Top Touring 2000s on my bike (a RANS V-Rex). They are much
    > better against the goatheads than other tires I've used (Primo Comets, Tioga Comp Pools) BUT I'm
    > looking to outfit a spare wheelset with faster, higher pressure tires. Obvious candidates are
    > kevlar tires like the kevlar Primo Racers and Schwalbe Stelvios, but some swear by certain
    > non-kevlar tires such as the Schwalbe Marathons.
    >
    > What's your vote? I need one 26" (559mm) and one 20" (409mm) tire, neither wider than 1.5". Please
    > speak also to the speed and handling characteristics of the tire, if you can.
    >
    > Thanks!

  5. Paul Milner

    Paul Milner Guest

    > I live in the king of goathead country, Albuquerque, NM. The rental bike company here tells me
    > this is a surefire way to prevent goatburr flats = tire liners + thornproof tubes + slime. They
    > never flat from goatburrs.
    >
    > On Thu, 12 Jun 2003 13:24:40 GMT, "Greg Dunn" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Where I bike, "goathead" thorns abound. These are ingenious little devils with a base shaped
    > >like a medieval mace and a single spine that sticks out like a straight pin. They are designed
    > >so that when they fall on the ground, they often land with the spine sticking straight up.
    > >Riding over them is like traversing a pincushion that has needles stuck in it with their sharp
    > >ends facing out.
    > >
    > >For normal use, I have Continental Top Touring 2000s on my bike (a RANS V-Rex). They are much
    > >better against the goatheads than other tires I've used (Primo Comets, Tioga Comp Pools) BUT I'm
    > >looking to outfit a spare wheelset with faster, higher pressure tires. Obvious candidates are
    > >kevlar tires like the kevlar Primo Racers and Schwalbe Stelvios, but some swear by certain
    > >non-kevlar tires such as the Schwalbe Marathons.
    > >
    > >What's your vote? I need one 26" (559mm) and one 20" (409mm) tire, neither wider than 1.5".
    > >Please speak also to the speed and handling characteristics of the tire, if you can.
    > >
    > >Thanks!

    I, too, live in Albuquerque, NM. The goatheads are a ferocious beast. Sometimes they are called "the
    devils caltrop". Anyway, my solution
    is.. a tire with a kevlar belt, a tire liner and a sticker flicker. My tubes are standard weight. I
    don't use thorn resistant tubes and absolutely refuse to use any kind of a sealant. I ride
    everywhere, including over goathead patches, and rarely(1-2times a year)get a flat. My front tire
    is a Primo Comit(20x 1.35) and the rear is a IRC Metro Duro(26 x 1.75). Last year i had no flats
    and only one this year caused by glass. Also, I'm not a light weight ... My dad says I'm a
    full-sized man..6'-5" and 300 lbs. Paul