Most important athlete of all-time?

Lonnie Utah said:
Jessie Owens. Took it to the third riche in their own house. For a African American to win a gold while the Furer watched, was quite a statement from a sporting a political point of view.

L
You're right, that was an amazing achievement. However, if we start talking about race, then Cathy Freeman must be included. An Australian Aboriginal woman who won the first Olympic gold by a person of that race (400m running) in 2000, she also used the 1998 Commonwealth Games to remind the Queen and the Commonwealth of her heritage by including the Aboriginal flag in her victory lap. There was also Evonne Goolagong Cawley who was and still is the only Aboriginal Australian to win Wimbledon. This was many years ago. While these events didn't involve war, I believe they were probably extremely important to Aboriginal Australians.

There might be similar cases involving indigenous peoples of other lands too.

ausgirl said:
You're right, that was an amazing achievement. However, if we start talking about race, then Cathy Freeman must be included. An Australian Aboriginal woman who won the first Olympic gold by a person of that race (400m running) in 2000, she also used the 1998 Commonwealth Games to remind the Queen and the Commonwealth of her heritage by including the Aboriginal flag in her victory lap. There was also Evonne Goolagong Cawley who was and still is the only Aboriginal Australian to win Wimbledon. This was many years ago. While these events didn't involve war, I believe they were probably extremely important to Aboriginal Australians.

Great work. Great examples.

Those events were important to all Australians, not just aboriginals. ;)

ausgirl said:

I remember Evonne Goolagong (I'm showing me age now !)
She was a great tennis player.

Scott Norwood just to prove that this is merely a question of age and geography. The year was 1991, the place was Tampa, FL, and the score was Giants 20, Bills 19. Four seconds and 29 yards from the NFL championship, Norwood winds up and kicks wide right by about a foot. The words "wide right" will remain a scar on the collective psyche of everyone who was in or from Buffalo that night. People who had never watched a football game were ready to burn the man at the stake the next morning. For a town that had spent the last decade in economic decline, the image of that ball hanging in the night sky summed it all up. In the end it's all just a game, and no athlete will ever have any universal importance just for being an athlete, but there are some moments of victory or failure that will always be important to certain people.

I don't know if Major Taylor has been mentioned, but he dominated cycling back in the day , overcame great racial barriers and was a true sportsman. When he rode cycling was a mojor world wide sport. He had no peers.
Every cycling fan should read his bio.

meehs said:
Actually baseball is much more popular than cricket in Latin America, Japan, Korea, Taiwan, China, and Canada as well as many other countries. These countries account for quite a large percentage of the worlds population. Therefore I would argue that baseball is as popular or more popular worldwide than is cricket. I would also wager that there are as many or more people worldwide that know of Jackie Robinson as there are people who know of Bradman. I had never heard of Bradman prior to this thread.

Some of you guys seem to automatically discount anything that originated in the USA as strictly an American phenomenon. This is simply not true in the case of baseball. Sometimes there seems to be a distinct anti-American sentiment on this forum.

Our "football" on the other hand is definitely a North American sport. It's supposedly gaining some popularity in other countries but it has a long way to go. I have to say that we should have called it by some other name, since practically every other country knows football as what we (for some unknown reason) call soccer. And "football" describes the sport much better since the foot is used to move the ball. But whatever!

No offense intended but I watched part of a cricket tournament here once and it was... not very exciting. In fact watching the grass grow rivaled the excitment of the match IMO. Granted I don't know the sport and it's difficult to enjoy a sport that you don't understand. As I recall one specatator explained to me that in one match, which already seemed to have gone on all day, one of the "teams" (or clubs or whatever you guys call them) had technically already won because, by the rules, it was impossible for the other "team" to win. But they were playing out the match anyway. Is this actually possible? This didn't make sense to me.
I was in Bermuda and took in a cricket match....... I thanked god that it was not popular in the USA.... I would rather watch ping-pong.

Jon Packard said:
I would think in J. Robinson's case, fame isn't really important. He broke down racial barriers, and that impacted all sports.
Jacki Robison did not break the racial barrier in all sports.... Not to take away what he did, but he is not the one that broke the black baseball racial barrier. The man that hired him did. If he did not hire Jacki , he could have hired another black player. We would have never have heard of Jacki Robinson. Jacki was nothing but a man in the right time and place. However, Major taylor dominated a sport [ cycling] that was larger then baseball at the time. He broke color barriers all over the world with his talent.

wolfix said:
Jacki Robison did not break the racial barrier in all sports.... Not to take away what he did, but he is not the one that broke the black baseball racial barrier. The man that hired him did. If he did not hire Jacki , he could have hired another black player. We would have never have heard of Jacki Robinson. Jacki was nothing but a man in the right time and place. However, Major taylor dominated a sport [ cycling] that was larger then baseball at the time. He broke color barriers all over the world with his talent.

Well... Just to caveat what you said; maybe Jackie Robinson was "in the right place at the right time" to an extent but to say he was "nothing but a man in the right time and place" is way off base (pardon the pun). The reason someone brought Robinson to the Major Leagues was because he was so damn good, he couldn't be denied. He was the best player of his day; black, white, brown, green or beige! Yeah, eventually another black player would've come along if it weren't Robinson but he didn't get a gift. He earned his way into MLB and the white powers that be in basesall had no choice but to recognize him as the great player that he was. He paved the way for every black player that followed him to the Major Leaugues. And other professional sports in the USA at the time definitely sat-up and took notice when the nation's self-proclaimed #1 passtime started "allowing" black athletes to play. So his impact without question transcended baseball.

"most important" has got to be an individual thing. In every sport, especially for those who are particularly passionate about their sport, there is going to be that one individual that is just THE man or woman who is most important, the one we imitate, aspire to, or draw the most inspiration from. And simply put, that means different things to different people.

Actually, that's what I love about sport, ANY sport. To watch someone at the top of thier game, dominating. It's just amazing. Football, basketball, basseball, cycling, soccer, hockey...those guys who want the ball in their hands when the game is on the line. Those guys who are on someones wheel with 5K to go...3K...they know they can win, and when they make their move...all you can do is watch in awe...so...

The most important athlete...could be your high school coach, your riding buddy, could be Hank Aaron, Pele, Lance, Nolan Ryan (he hasn't even been mentioned)...but I believe it's the one person who has inspired the most people to bring out the best in themselves...to go further than you ever thought possible.

wolfix said:
I was in Bermuda and took in a cricket match....... I thanked god that it was not popular in the USA.... I would rather watch ping-pong.

We're all thanking god that cricket is not popular in the US too.

Everyone should have voted for Jesse Owens. The man is a legend. What he did in front of ****** was a show that no matter what, you can't promote a superior race of human. If anything Jesse Owens was the superior human in Berlin 1936. It was more than an athletic statement, but a social one.

mitosis said:
We're all thanking god that cricket is not popular in the US too.

I'm all for cricket being big in the US - that way we'd have the World Series of Cricket every year instead of the current World Cup every 4 years.

Hmmm wait a minute - nobody else would be invited if the World Series was in the US. Ok ok I take it back - I'm glad cricket aint big in the US.

Please note this was written in jest and no americans were hurt in the making of this posting.....

:D

Eldron said:
I'm all for cricket being big in the US - that way we'd have the World Series of Cricket every year instead of the current World Cup every 4 years.

Hmmm wait a minute - nobody else would be invited if the World Series was in the US. Ok ok I take it back - I'm glad cricket aint big in the US.

Please note this was written in jest and no americans were hurt in the making of this posting.....

:D

No offense taken my friend. FWIW: If there were any baseball teams in the world that would be capable of even coming close to competing with our teams here in the USA, we'd be more than happy to invite them to our World Series. LOL! ;)

meehs said:
No offense taken my friend. FWIW: If there were any baseball teams in the world that would be capable of even coming close to competing with our teams here in the USA, we'd be more than happy to invite them to our World Series. LOL! ;)
You mean like the Toronto Blue Jays?

artmichalek said:
You mean like the Toronto Blue Jays?

Good point! I should've said North America. That being said, look what happened to the Expos! :D

Each of the athletes is great in their own right. Their accomplishments cannot be measured against one and others. For example, Armstrong and Banister cannot be used as a pair-wise comparison. Armstrong could be considered the greatest American and overall best cyclist, but cannot be compared to the first man to run a sub-4 minute. Their sports are too different. Each one involves a particular strength and talent. Once again you cannot compare the accomplishments against one another. However,

Banister’s accomplish was at one time consider to be "not humanly possible," and that it could never be done. It was a standard that many said could not be reach. On the other hand, Armstrong accomplishment takes persistent and consistency. I was probably only a matter of time before both a these athletic accomplished were achieved.

Both men are great athletes, but one is not greater then the other.

Interesting thread going here...

For my two cents it would have to be Pele. He was a superstar that could be recognized the world around. It is not a stretch to say he has inspired more children with his images of grace and talent than any other.

James