Most irritating comment on George.

Callistus Valerius

Guest
Every time I see the comment, "George is a classics man", I cringe. Has
he ever won a classics? George isn't a "classics" man, he's a tour man. He
will always be known as a super tour domestique, that has now won a mountain
stage in the tour.

On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 10:59:45 GMT, "Callistus Valerius"
<[email protected]> wrote:
> Every time I see the comment, "George is a
>classics man", I cringe. Has
>he ever won a classics?

Yes.

JT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************

Must you always demonstrate a level of ignorance that doesn't surprise
anyone?

"Kenny" <[email protected]> a écrit dans le message de news:
[email protected]...
> Yes he did win a classic (and a semi-classic).

He's never won a monument, and his "classic" win, Gand-Wevelgem, not one of
the World Cup races, falls in the same week and between Flanders and
Roubaix, so the competition is often not up to the level in the other
classics. He's still waiting for that big victory in the classics (he
himself said that his win yesterday in the TdF was the biggest victory of
his career). I like George and am always rooting for him, and while contrary
to the OP's troll, he's definitelty a classics rider, he's not (yet anyway)
proven he's amongst the best. But with his best season yet, at 32 next
Spring, and no responsibility to ride for Lance in the future, I hope he'll
get a big win or two under his belt.

World Cup Races

1. Milan-San Remo
2. Tour of Flanders
3. Paris-Roubaix
4. Liège-Bastogne-Liège
5. Amstel Gold Race
6. San Sebastian Classic
7. HEW-Cyclassics-Cup
8. Championship of Zürich
9. Paris-Tours
10. Tour of Lombardy

> He's never won a monument, and his "classic" win, Gand-Wevelgem, not one
of
> the World Cup races, falls in the same week and between Flanders and
> Roubaix, so the competition is often not up to the level in the other
> classics. He's still waiting for that big victory in the classics (he
> himself said that his win yesterday in the TdF was the biggest victory of
> his career). I like George and am always rooting for him, and while

contrary
> to the OP's troll, he's definitelty a classics rider, he's not (yet

anyway)
> proven he's amongst the best. But with his best season yet, at 32 next
> Spring, and no responsibility to ride for Lance in the future, I hope

he'll
> get a big win or two under his belt.

Exactly what I said, thanks for the facts that support my assertion.
Basically he thinks he's a Classics rider, but what you think, and what you
are, may be two different things. Everyone knows him for the Tour, and
that's an accomplishment in itself.

"Claudius Vitalis" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> > He's never won a monument, and his "classic" win, Gand-Wevelgem, not one

> of
> > the World Cup races, falls in the same week and between Flanders and
> > Roubaix, so the competition is often not up to the level in the other
> > classics. He's still waiting for that big victory in the classics (he
> > himself said that his win yesterday in the TdF was the biggest victory

of
> > his career). I like George and am always rooting for him, and while

> contrary
> > to the OP's troll, he's definitelty a classics rider, he's not (yet

> anyway)
> > proven he's amongst the best. But with his best season yet, at 32 next
> > Spring, and no responsibility to ride for Lance in the future, I hope

> he'll
> > get a big win or two under his belt.
> >

> Exactly what I said, thanks for the facts that support my assertion.
> Basically he thinks he's a Classics rider, but what you think, and what

you
> are, may be two different things. Everyone knows him for the Tour, and
> that's an accomplishment in itself.

Perhaps the designation meant that he was free to take the win in whatever
"classic" race he rode; whereas on the Tour his job is to support Lance.

Laz