Most Memorable single-day ride?

byfred

Oct 25, 2003
What would be your most memorable, single-day, of cycling? I, like most of you I'm sure, have many but one that really stands out is our ride over Logan pass on the "Going to the Sun Road", Glacier National Park in Montana, USA.....byfred

Originally posted by byfred
What would be your most memorable, single-day, of cycling?

Up the Mt Ventoux (France) with fully packed touring bikes. This remarkable events took place during our honeymoon in summer 2001.

Still my number one!
Cheers
TiVo

What would be your most memorable, single-day, of cycling? I, like most of you I'm sure, have many but one that really stands out is our ride over Logan pass on the "Going to the Sun Road", Glacier National Park in Montana, USA.....byfred

GREENWICH Area, PRINCE EDWARD ISLAND NATIONAL PARK.
Smooth, minimal traffic, nearly flat, beautiful shore, and nice visitor center. Free entrance to park for cyclist.
PEI is good for cycling over the entire island.

Next would be Copper Harbor Light--Keewanaw Peninsula, MI ride on Lake Supeior shore. Nice waterfalls and copper mine tours on the peninsula, but the Lake Superior shore shouldn't be missed.

Originally posted by daveornee
GREENWICH Area, PRINCE EDWARD ISLAND NATIONAL PARK.
Smooth, minimal traffic, nearly flat, beautiful shore, and nice visitor center. Free entrance to park for cyclist.
PEI is good for cycling over the entire island.

Next would be Copper Harbor Light--Keewanaw Peninsula, MI ride on Lake Supeior shore. Nice waterfalls and copper mine tours on the peninsula, but the Lake Superior shore shouldn't be missed.

You know Dave, whenever anyone mentions Prince Edward Island, there are so many great cycling thoughts come to mind. As you say, "light traffic, free park entrance for cyclists,polite drivers, etc." and on & on. They even transport you & your bike over that Confederation Bridge for free.

We have done the south shore of Lake Superior as well & I agree fully with you on that one too, but stay away from the Canadian north shore, the highway and truck-traffic is just horrendous. It would most likely rate as "your worst week of cycling"...........byfred

I agree that going over logan pass in glacier was totally beautiful.

im going to say a most memorable day was my 150 mile fixed gear day with 2 friends before they moved out of town. i miss them.

Having not really been to far afield with my cycling, i would say my 80 mile bike ride covering the north Norfolk Coast line was my favorite to date. I was well chuffed when my mate and I completed that round trip, as we was only young at the time and wasnt exactly that fit aswell. We did have a slight set back only after a few miles when my mates pedal decided to depart from his moutain bike, but a trip to halfords sorted that out and we was back on our way. Norfolk is a nice flat county and was superb for keeping up the speed for long periods of time. I hope to venture up there again some time with my racing bike.

riding from bergerac to souillac in france in october of '04. it was my first day in a mutli-day bike trip with a backpack on my back.

my training for the ride paid off. i was in great shape, my new-ish bike was a joy to ride, the scenery was outstanding, and the weather cooperated that day.

unfortunately, the weather changed the next day of the ride, and i became ill, so the rest of my ride had to be adjusted.

but that first day was the best day on a bike i've ever had. i plan to return again someday in '04 or '05 and do the ride again, including the days i missed due to uncontrollable circumstances.

The White Rim Trail in Canyonlands N.P., Utah.

It was the most memorable ride I've had (when I wasn't delirious), and my greatest cycling achievement to date.

It's a not-to-technical mountain bike century (105 miles) that I've done in a single day. I rode it solo last January over the Martin Luther King Jr. holiday (foolishly unsupported). I'd like to do it again this year w/ a small group.

Spectacular Colorado Plateau vistas (4-6,000 ft. elevation) and 100s of millions of years of sedimentary strata all layed out for you to see. Brilliant red, green, and white rock (but mostly red sandstone). I did not see another living soul for 80 miles -- incredible solitude.

Check it out:
http://www.nps.gov/cany/island/wrim.htm

most memorable?

i decided to ride a hundred miles in one day with my sister for the hell of it. no planning, no training. mile 60, 90 degree heat, i blacked out momentarily casuing a face plant at 10mph. ouch.

since then i have learned many useful things about eating and drinking properly while biking.....

the huge scar on my hip also aids in the memorability of the event. :)

My first mountain pass was McKenzie (sp?) pass in Oregon. It was closed 11 miles up to traffic due to downed trees and snow (it was spring) so a few of us decided it would be fun to ride it naked. So, for the final 11 miles four of us rode up the switchbacks butt naked on fully loaded touring bikes, fixed broken spokes, a flat tire, walked our bikes through patches of foot deep snow, and rode past a cleanup crew, all while wearing only our helmets, gloves, and shimano sandals. We even stopped and explored an extremely rocky meteor crater up there, which was a little scary since the footing was really bad and we didn't want to fall down any of the crevices and damage our vital parts.

Mountains rule.

Originally posted by Maq Dreqan
My first mountain pass was McKenzie (sp?) pass in Oregon. It was closed 11 miles up to traffic due to downed trees and snow (it was spring) so a few of us decided it would be fun to ride it naked. So, for the final 11 miles four of us rode up the switchbacks butt naked on fully loaded touring bikes, fixed broken spokes, a flat tire, walked our bikes through patches of foot deep snow, and rode past a cleanup crew, all while wearing only our helmets, gloves, and shimano sandals. We even stopped and explored an extremely rocky meteor crater up there, which was a little scary since the footing was really bad and we didn't want to fall down any of the crevices and damage our vital parts.

Mountains rule.

THAT would bea memorable ride, for anyone. I think I have been over McKenzie Pass too. Is it on the "Adventure Cycling Northern Trans-Am"?...........byfred

Yea, it's the first pass you take on the adventure cycling nothern route. It's the day between Mckenzie bridge and Redmond, about a week into the ride if you take the first few days slow.

Riding tandem with my wife for two weeks through Michigan and Wisconsin ended on a high note. It was the last day of the League of Michigan Bicyclists last (to date) two week tour around the northern half of Lake Michigan. It was called the Circle Tour and the West Tour. We spent the day riding through the tree canopied road along the shore with glimpses of Lake Michigan and finished coming around a bend to the sight of the Mackinac Bridge. Finished the ride into Mackinac City and went to this little restaurant to get a grinder to keep us on the start of our trip back home.

Originally posted by Greyfox10025
Biking the Gorge du Verdon in the Maritime Alps. See it here.
www.todmoore.net
Thank's for your "post", Greyfox. I had never heard of that area before, and the "Maritime Alps" are not that far out of my reach. Perhaps I've even been there and didn't know it. I have done the "Adventure Cycling, Northern Segment" to Bar Harbour. You travel a little north of the Finger Lakes area on that one, though. Safe Cycling.......byfred.

What would be your most memorable, single-day, of cycling?

When I was 16, a couple of friends and I decided to take our bikes with us on our camping holiday to France. We were staying in Annecy and spurred on by cheap wine decided to cycle to our next stopping point, Chamonix, a route which took us over the Col de la Croix de Fry. We didn't have any proper maps, only a rubbish not-to-scale tourist map, so we didn't have a clue what we were letting ourselves in for until the road started going up and up and up and up...

It took us a full day to get to the top of the pass and by the time we reached the hotel 1km from the summit it was dark so we asked if we could camp in their grounds. They let us, though they seemed to be somewhat grudging about it, but obviously not that grudging because in the morning they brought us freshly baked brioche for breakfast.

The average speed increased somewhat on that second day, to put it mildly, but even the thrill of the descent couldn't match the sense of pride and achievement I felt after making that climb. The scenery on the way up was fantastic too - it was an absolutely beautiful august day - and our leisurely pace meant we got to enjoy it to the full. (It was fortunate we didn't set off a day later as the weather turned rather nasty.)

It's no great feat compared with some of the other achievements described in this thread, but considering that it was a completely ad hoc trip by three inexperienced and fully loaded cyclists over a route that was three or four times longer than anticipated, immeasurably steeper and in the full height of summer with temparatures up around 30C, I think we didn't do too bad.

We also made some great passing friends on the way - the sense of camaraderie among cyclists in the alps is something I will always cherish (and, even though they weren't cyclists, those girls we met in a bar in one of the little villages halfway up were very friendly indeed...).

I've always wanted to go back to the alps on my bike but have never quite got around to it. One day though...