Most overpriced POS

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by alienator, Aug 3, 2010.

1. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

Cinelli Mash Histogram 1 of 3 in existence 55cm - eBay (item 160463691086 end time Aug-12-10 10:09:16 PDT)

Minimum bid is $3000, all for something that costs (parts and paint) $1-2000 less. It's not even gold plated or diamond encrusted! If you get really hot and bothered by the white chain and lime green toe straps, you can have the bike immediately at the "buy it now" price of $5000. Never you worry about your money and the quality of kit you'll receive: the seller has a whopping 87% rating! Being a fashion puff is damned expensive!

Tags:

2. kdelong

kdelong Well-Known Member

That is an outrageous price for any bike, even if it is the only one ever made. But I tend to see a lot of outrageously priced bikes on eBay. It seems that there are a lot of people out there who don't know that bicycles do not appreciate in value over time. I always get a kick out of the "fine quality vintage bikes" that are priced at three or more times the original sticker price just because they are now "classics". And any bike that has old old old Campy components, regardless of the make of the bike, always seem to be priced higher than anything else.

3. alienator

I asked the seller if the only thing special about the bike was the paint job since the frame and all the parts are nothing special. His response: "Yep."

4. 64Paramount

64Paramount Active Member

IMHO that special paint job is fugly.......

5. alienator

That it is. By comparison, here's a Parlee custom painted by Dave Sem. This paintjob is the only one like it--unlike the one of three in the eFlay ad--and if memory serves, it cost significantly less than the paintjob in the eBay ad is claimed to be worth.

6. Hammond Egger

Hammond Egger New Member

7. 64Paramount

64Paramount Active Member

That Parlee is absolutely beautiful. It would seem like such a shame to get it dirty, but at the same time how could you look at it and not want to ride it?

8. alienator

Every time I saw it in the shop I wanted to ride it.

9. CdnRider

CdnRider New Member

You guys should see what some of the idiots up here in toronto are asking for these so called vintage bikes! ridiculous! worst part is....i'm guessing some of these guys are actually buying it to convert to fixies and singlespeeds. don't get me wrong....i'm all for them....but seeing them flying around downtown toronto with no brakes and the way they ride. oh...and those damn 6" wide straight bars...PLEASE!!! i'm done.

10. jhuskey

jhuskey Moderator

That's why there are only three. It's probably a federal crime to paint something with that color combination.
    It should be!

11. GT Fanatic

GT Fanatic New Member

I'm beginning to think the most overpriced POS in history is a 2010 Schwinn Paramount Series 7. I had issues upon issues with the rear derailleur/cassette/whatever, and finally got sick of them, so I got a replacement bicycle the other day, and sure enough, it's having the same exact problems.

I'm not sure if it's the bike or the Shimano 105 componentry that sucks.

12. swampy1970

swampy1970 Well-Known Member

The 105 group is great and has been since the mid to late 80's. While it doesn't have all the wizz bang features of the higher models it's still very robust and offers great performance for the dollar.

http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/t...SI-5X90B-003-00-ENG_v1_m56577569830702204.PDF

http://bike.shimano.com/publish/con...ile.html/02) Rear Derailleur Installation.pdf

http://bike.shimano.com/publish/con...dFile.html/01) 100 Causes of Bad Shifting.pdf

13. GT Fanatic

GT Fanatic New Member

I retract all previous statements. It was the bike that had the issue (crossed cables in the frame) which was causing issues. Now that the 105 is working correctly, I like it. :D

14. frenchyge

frenchyge New Member

15. GT Fanatic

GT Fanatic New Member

16. frenchyge

frenchyge New Member

Yeah, I thought the $5 was a fair price, but now he's trying to re-sell it for $6000 because it had fame smeared on it.

17. GT Fanatic

GT Fanatic New Member

It's an $8000 bike. I guess you wouldn't try to make a profit, would you... :rolleyes:

It doesn't matter what's "smeared all over it," the fact remains that he got one Hell of a deal and he's flipping the bike for probably what it's worth. He'd be an idiot not to.

18. alienator

It might be worth half that......maybe.

19. GT Fanatic

GT Fanatic New Member

According to who? You? The bike could have been ridden 3x's, for all any of us know. My personal experiences with going on sites like eBay or Craigslist and seeing expensive bikes for sale are that most of them have posted sales prices of about 60-70% of their values as new bicycles.

$3000 for a 3 year old, $8000 bicycle? I think not.

20. frenchyge

frenchyge New Member

When you look at Craigslist or eBay and see "Originally worth X, but I'm letting it go for Y" have you found X to typically be fairly close to what you'd expect? My experience is that they are typically overinflating X in order to make Y look more attractive.

In any case, can you tell what kind of bike that is from the picture? The article doesn't say, and all we have is the finder's word on the original cost or origin of the bike.