Most radical... no, most ridiculous new product

SteveA wrote:

> Earlier this week, Foxtel was showing some triathlons late at night. I
> watched one being held in Beijing and one being held in Switzerland. I
> only watched for the cycling, mind you. But I did notice that quit a
> few bikes were being ridden without tri-bars, which was interesting.

Were they draft-legal triathlons? I can understand not using tri-bars in
a draft legal race seeing the majority of competitors would be riding in
packs.

DaveB

SteveA wrote:
<snip>

> Earlier this week, Foxtel was showing some triathlons late at night. I
> watched one being held in Beijing and one being held in Switzerland. I
> only watched for the cycling, mind you. But I did notice that quit a
> few bikes were being ridden without tri-bars, which was interesting.

Well, you can get lower without tri-bars, I suppose. Tri bars always
hold me up too high. Also if they were showing elites, then it's
probably draft legal, hence more likely to be on the drops.

Tam

Tamyka Bell said:
SteveA wrote:
<snip>

> Earlier this week, Foxtel was showing some triathlons late at night. I
> watched one being held in Beijing and one being held in Switzerland. I
> only watched for the cycling, mind you. But I did notice that quit a
> few bikes were being ridden without tri-bars, which was interesting.

Well, you can get lower without tri-bars, I suppose. Tri bars always
hold me up too high. Also if they were showing elites, then it's
probably draft legal, hence more likely to be on the drops.

Tam

Badly setup tri bars will be higher. ie. a pair of clip ons added on top of the drops. Properly set up will allow you to get an almost flat torso.

If I was doing a draft legal race I would consider not using tri bars too. Sit in and save you legs for the run.

DaveB wrote:
> SteveA wrote:
>

>> Earlier this week, Foxtel was showing some triathlons late at night. I
>> watched one being held in Beijing and one being held in Switzerland. I
>> only watched for the cycling, mind you. But I did notice that quit a
>> few bikes were being ridden without tri-bars, which was interesting.
>>

> Were they draft-legal triathlons? I can understand not using tri-bars in
> a draft legal race seeing the majority of competitors would be riding in
> packs.
>
> DaveB

In the photo I saw there was a lot of drafting. So it ´must'have been a
draft legal race? Hey?

Dave

dave said:
DaveB wrote:
> SteveA wrote:
>

>> Earlier this week, Foxtel was showing some triathlons late at night. I
>> watched one being held in Beijing and one being held in Switzerland. I
>> only watched for the cycling, mind you. But I did notice that quit a
>> few bikes were being ridden without tri-bars, which was interesting.
>>

> Were they draft-legal triathlons? I can understand not using tri-bars in
> a draft legal race seeing the majority of competitors would be riding in
> packs.
>
> DaveB

In the photo I saw there was a lot of drafting. So it ´must'have been a
draft legal race? Hey?

Dave
Elite? Yep, some of the competitors were expecting to be back in Beijing for the Olympics.

Drafting? Riders were spaced out and were not right up on each other's rear wheels like elite riders in a road race. So they may have been in a non-draft legal race and been drafting but pretending not to, OR they may have been in a draft legal race and been drafting but not really closely.

SteveA

On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 14:58:46 +1100, SteveA wrote:

> Earlier this week, Foxtel was showing some triathlons late at night.

Which channel was this? About the only Foxtel channel I normally watch is
Adventure 1; good for an early morning wake up to watch somebody throwing
themself down a scarily big Himalayan river (and slightly more scarey to
realise that you know one of the guys and he seemed so normal at the time
:)

Graeme

PiledHigher wrote:

> Tamyka Bell Wrote:

<snip>
> > Well, you can get lower without tri-bars, I suppose. Tri bars always
> > hold me up too high. Also if they were showing elites, then it's
> > probably draft legal, hence more likely to be on the drops.
> >
> > Tam

> Badly setup tri bars will be higher. ie. a pair of clip ons added on
> top of the drops. Properly set up will allow you to get an almost flat
> torso.

<snip>

Good point.

I should have said "I can get lower." Flat does not seem all that low.

Tam

dave wrote:

> DaveB wrote:
> > SteveA wrote:
> >

> >> Earlier this week, Foxtel was showing some triathlons late at night. I
> >> watched one being held in Beijing and one being held in Switzerland. I
> >> only watched for the cycling, mind you. But I did notice that quit a
> >> few bikes were being ridden without tri-bars, which was interesting.
> >>

> > Were they draft-legal triathlons? I can understand not using tri-bars in
> > a draft legal race seeing the majority of competitors would be riding in
> > packs.
> >
> > DaveB

> In the photo I saw there was a lot of drafting. So it ´must'have been a
> draft legal race? Hey?
>
> Dave

Yep, just like Noosa age group race ;)

Tam

Tamyka Bell said:
PiledHigher wrote:

> Tamyka Bell Wrote:

<snip>
> > Well, you can get lower without tri-bars, I suppose. Tri bars always
> > hold me up too high. Also if they were showing elites, then it's
> > probably draft legal, hence more likely to be on the drops.
> >
> > Tam

> Badly setup tri bars will be higher. ie. a pair of clip ons added on
> top of the drops. Properly set up will allow you to get an almost flat
> torso.

<snip>

Good point.

I should have said "I can get lower." Flat does not seem all that low.

Tam

Flat is as low as makes sense, lower than flat you end being badly aerodynamic once again..

Your drops should make your back flat.

Flat may not be that low if you have good flexibility, there still may be power compromises.

PiledHigher wrote:

> Tamyka Bell Wrote:
> > PiledHigher wrote:
> > >
> > > Tamyka Bell Wrote:

> > <snip>

> > always

> > > Badly setup tri bars will be higher. ie. a pair of clip ons added on
> > > top of the drops. Properly set up will allow you to get an almost

> > flat
> > > torso.

> > <snip>
> >
> > Good point.
> >
> > I should have said "I can get lower." Flat does not seem all that low.
> >
> > Tam

> Flat is as low as makes sense, lower than flat you end being badly
> aerodynamic once again..
>
> Your drops should make your back flat.
>
> Flat may not be that low if you have good flexibility, there still may
> be power compromises.
>
> --
> PiledHigher

Ref?

Tam

Graeme Dods said:
On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 14:58:46 +1100, SteveA wrote:

> Earlier this week, Foxtel was showing some triathlons late at night.

Which channel was this? About the only Foxtel channel I normally watch is
Adventure 1; good for an early morning wake up to watch somebody throwing
themself down a scarily big Himalayan river (and slightly more scarey to
realise that you know one of the guys and he seemed so normal at the time
:)

Graeme

Foxsports channel 11 or 12 on the analog.

Next lot is at 4:30pm (AEST?) on channel 11. Then 6:30am on Saturday on channel 12. Half IM at 11:00am on Sunday on channel 12.

SteveA

Tamyka Bell wrote:
> PiledHigher wrote:
>
>>Tamyka Bell Wrote:

>>><snip>

>>>always

>>>flat

>>><snip>
>>>
>>>Good point.
>>>
>>>I should have said "I can get lower." Flat does not seem all that low.
>>>
>>>Tam

>>Flat is as low as makes sense, lower than flat you end being badly
>>aerodynamic once again..
>>
>>Your drops should make your back flat.
>>
>>Flat may not be that low if you have good flexibility, there still may
>>be power compromises.
>>
>>--
>>PiledHigher

> Ref?
>
> Tam

There's a sh#tload of stuff on this site about positions and stuff.

http://www.slowtwitch.com/mainheadings/techctr/techctr.html

Try do a search on John Cobb, he's a guru on aero positioning.

The general claim is that the most aero position isn't the most powerful
and also hinders muscles for the run stage.

Marty

Marty said:
Tamyka Bell wrote:

> Ref?
>
> Tam

There's a sh#tload of stuff on this site about positions and stuff.

http://www.slowtwitch.com/mainheadings/techctr/techctr.html

Try do a search on John Cobb, he's a guru on aero positioning.

The general claim is that the most aero position isn't the most powerful
and also hinders muscles for the run stage.

Marty

Thanks Marty for chiming in with the ref, there are others, this is knowledge that has been assimilated and hence I have ditched the reference from my memory banks.

Often is quoted that closing the angle between the legs and body leads to loss of power. Hence some triathletes going for a more forward seat post, this keeps the angle open, allows the back to be flatter and may minimise the power loss.

There are exceptions, pro cyclists seem to look to maintain the seat position and bend further forward or have hump type positions curving the back forward.