Most tasteless jersey ...

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Robert McMillen, Jun 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

1. K. B. Rook

K. B. Rook Guest

2. Xzzy

Xzzy Guest

3. Stan Cox

Stan Cox Guest

4. No, the USA has not won a damn thing. LeMond and Armstrong - with a multinational support team -
    have won 7 of the last 17 Tours.

-r

"xzzy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > If Armstrong wins again this year, the USA will have won 8 of 18 starts since 1986
    >
    > John Bickmore www.BicycleCam.com www.Feed-Zone.com
    >
    > "Robert McMillen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > and the award goes to Nashbar
    > >
    >
    http://www.nashbar.com/profile_moreimages.cfm?category=137&subcategory=1207&
    > sku=9034&brand=
    > >
    >

5. "Stan Cox" <[email protected]> wrote in news:eek:[email protected]:

>
    >> and the award goes to Nashbar
    >>
    > http://www.nashbar.com/profile_moreimages.cfm?category=137&subcategory= 1207& sku=9034&brand=
    >>
    >>
    >
    > Now thats one jersey I wouldnt wear in France.
    >
    > Stan Cox

You can bet your ass some dork will, though. Probably one of the same dorks that would where a
    "Cutters" t-shirt over there. Talk about "the ugly american" ;)

- Boyd S.

6. Tezza

Tezza New Member

7. Jim Martin

Jim Martin Guest

"Boyd Speerschneider" <[email protected]> wrote
    > You can bet your ass some dork will, though. Probably one of the same dorks that would where a
    > "Cutters" t-shirt over there. Talk about "the ugly american"

What about the ugly french?

The one time I was in Paris, I asked the woman at the airport information booth were I could change
    currency. She blew smoke in my face and said (in English) that she did not speak English. This was a
    woman working in the information booth at a major international airport and she was openly hostile
    to Amercians. Gimme that Jersey and I'll wear it!

Cheers,

Jim

---
    Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
    Version: 6.0.489 / Virus Database: 288 - Release Date: 6/10/2003

8. G

G Guest

Tezza <[email protected]> wrote:

>
    > "Oh,,,, why does the rest of the world hate us so much?"
    >
    >
    > that jersey design says it all - a little humility goes an awful long way, particularly when you
    > are on top!!! Tezza:rolleyes:

Y'know, I can't speak for the French, but if a yank was walking around Australia with US
    flag/Australia equivalent, I can't honestly say how long he would survive for..

Imagine a Japanese Tourist in the USA in the 1980's wearing a map of the USA with the rising sun....

9. Pete

Pete Guest

10. In article <[email protected]sread2.prod.itd.earthlink.net>, " Tim Mullin"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

> > and the award goes to Nashbar
    >
    > Is the voting over already? Shit! I never got a chance to enter my jersey...
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > begin 666 Iraq Jersey.JPG [Image]
    >
    > end

Bad form to post a pic to this newsgroup, but that was Fark-tacular! Good job.

BTW, the _most_ tasteless would be the same "France" jersey, but with the German tricolour and
    "GERMAN DOMINATED, 1940-1944"

Though a close second might be the "TEAM PUKE" jersey one guy wore to last week's Twoonie race,
    --
    Ryan Cousineau, [email protected] http://www.sfu.ca/~rcousine President, Fabrizio Mazzoleni Fan Club

11. Warren

Warren Guest

In article <[email protected]>, Jim Martin <[email protected]> wrote:

> What about the ugly french?
    >
    > The one time I was in Paris, I asked the woman at the airport information booth were I could
    > change currency. She blew smoke in my face and said (in English) that she did not speak English.
    > This was a woman working in the information booth at a major international airport and she was
    > openly hostile to Amercians. Gimme that Jersey and I'll wear it!

You mean you went to France and didn't know how to ask a simple question in French? That's rude and
    presumptious. You got what you deserved. Have more respect for the country you're visiting and learn
    at least a few words of the language just like you'd expect a French person to do if they were
    visiting the US and asking you where the currency exchange was.

-WG

12. "Jim Martin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    >
    > "Boyd Speerschneider" <[email protected]> wrote
    > > You can bet your ass some dork will, though. Probably one of the same dorks that would where a
    > > "Cutters" t-shirt
    over
    > > there. Talk about "the ugly american"
    >
    >
    > The one time I was in Paris, I asked the woman at the airport information booth were I could
    > change currency. She blew smoke in my face and said
    (in
    > English) that she did not speak English. This was a woman working in the information booth at a
    > major international airport and she was openly hostile to Amercians. Gimme that Jersey and I'll
    > wear it!
    >

So you have direct experience seeing how ugly nationalism is and you want to be that way too?

13. Amit

Amit Guest

14. > The one time I was in Paris, I asked the woman at the airport information booth were I could
    > change currency. She blew smoke in my face and said (in English) that she did not speak English.
    > This was a woman working in the information booth at a major international airport and she was

My experience at so-called "information" booths was similar, but not in a way that was hostile
    towards Americans, but simply hostile towards anyone who expected useful information. I witnessed a
    number of exchanges at the help booths in the Gare du Nord station between natives that went
    nowhere fast.

So I, with my horrific (beyond that, actually) French from a phrasebook, go up to one of the main
    ticket windows and had absolutely no problem finding out exactly what I needed, from a very pleasant
    Frenchman, who even lied through his teeth by saying that I spoke French quite nicely!

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

15. Stan Cox

Stan Cox Guest

"Jim Martin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    >
    > "Boyd Speerschneider" <[email protected]> wrote
    > > You can bet your ass some dork will, though. Probably one of the same dorks that would where a
    > > "Cutters" t-shirt over there. Talk about "the ugly american"
    >
    >
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Jim
    >
    >
    There are idiots in every country. Bear in mind that the French think that Parisienes (spelling) are
    rude. BTW as a brit what is a "Cutters" t shirt.

Stan Cox

16. Howard Kveck

Howard Kveck Guest

In article <[email protected]>, Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]> wrote:

>
    > BTW, the _most_ tasteless would be the same "France" jersey, but with the German tricolour and
    > "GERMAN DOMINATED, 1940-1944"
    >

In the early eighties I did see a shirt that was done in the style of band tour t-shirts that
    read "Adolf Hitler European Tour 1939-1945" on the front. On the back, it had a list of the
    various countries that they, um, "visited".

--
    tanx, Howard

Read. Think. Type. Send.

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, k?

For some people, quantity IS quality...

17. warren <[email protected]> schreef in berichtnieuws 190620032101531015%[email protected]
    > In article <[email protected]>, Jim Martin
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > What about the ugly french?
    > >
    > > The one time I was in Paris, I asked the woman at the airport
    information
    > > booth were I could change currency. She blew smoke in my face and said
    (in
    > > English) that she did not speak English. This was a woman working in the information booth at a
    > > major international airport and she was openly hostile to Amercians. Gimme that Jersey and I'll
    > > wear it!
    >
    > You mean you went to France and didn't know how to ask a simple question in French? That's rude
    > and presumptious.

Where I live, I regurarly am spoken to in english...people assume I don't speak dutch even without
    asking. Whatever happened to the simple phrasebook? It would be so nice if the tourists just tried.

And yes, that is indeed a horrible jersey.

Jonathan.

18. On Fri, 20 Jun 2003 11:40:39 +0200, Jonathan v.d. Sluis wrote:
    >Where I live, I regurarly am spoken to in english...people assume I don't speak dutch even
    >without asking.

At first I thought they assumed because you're not Dutch and they can tell by looking at you, but
    then I realized what you meant. Sorry.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.