Most tasteless jersey ...

Morgan Fletcher <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

> "Stan Cox" <[email protected]> writes:
>> There are idiots in every country. Bear in mind that the French think that Parisienes (spelling)
>> are rude. BTW as a brit what is a "Cutters" t shirt.
>
> Cutters was the relay team that raced the "Little Indy 500" in the '70s movie _Breaking Away_.

Its the "Little 500" (or "Lil' 5" locally), not "Little Indy 500". Small point, but one that had
to be made.

> _Breaking Away_ that really sold bicycle racing to the American public. It tells the story of a
> group of four teenage friends, outcasts, one of whom is in love with the roadie lifestyle and an
> Italophile, and naive. He enters college instead of becoming a road racer full time. The college
> he enters has an historic team-relay bicycle race held on a cinder track using school-supplied
> fixed-gear bikes. (This part is true, see "Little Indy 500".)

He doesn't enter college until the end of the movie, well after they had won the race. BTW, unlike
the movie, townies aren't allowed in the race, only IU students. I never did like the movie, or the
race that much for a number of reasons, this misrepresentation being one of them. Also, there is
still a "Cutters" team. But, they aren't really Cutters (ie., there parents didnt' work in the
quarries). They are an independent team
(ie., not in a fraternity). These "Cutter" idiots just go to show that they really didn't pay that
much attention to the movie. I'm sure that fronting to be "Cutters" can really infuriate some of
the locals who actually are.

I know where the swimming quarry from the movie is. If you get caught swimming there, you will get
arrested for trespassing; there is a huge fence around it. It seems some fraternity idiot went
swimming there drunk and managed to off himself. I'm sure he was at least a runner up for the Darwin
award. Bravo!!! Way to ruin it for everyone. That's all right though, 'cause its covered in slimy
green algae and sea weed anyway :p

Still, there are some scenes in the movie that are classic.

> Part of the reason they are outcasts is because they come from working-class families, and in this
> town the working class worked in the quarries, cutting limestone. This industry has died out,
> leaving the town depressed. They form a team and choose the team name "Cutters". Only one can
> really ride a bike, the rest are misfits who don't have the skills, and are also challenged by
> fatalistic attitudes. The race favorites are a well-honed team from an upper-crusty fraternity. Of
> course they win, after a long and harrowing race. It's a good underdog flick.
>
> USPS rider Christian Vande Velde's dad John played a member of the Cinzano team that puts a pump
> in the young racer's spokes during a road race in the movie. The movie also launched Dennis
> Quaid's career.
>
> http://us.imdb.com/Title?0078902
>
> Morgan

- Boyd S. ex Lil' 5 rider

in article [email protected], Ewoud Dronkert at [email protected]
wrote on 6/20/03 5:53 AM:

> On Fri, 20 Jun 2003 11:40:39 +0200, Jonathan v.d. Sluis wrote:
>> Where I live, I regurarly am spoken to in english...people assume I don't speak dutch even
>> without asking.
>
> At first I thought they assumed because you're not Dutch and they can tell by looking at you, but
> then I realized what you meant. Sorry.

But I found in Holland that if I asked someone if they spoke English, in Dutch or in English, before
I began to blab away, they were usually offended that I might think they _didn¹t_ speak English. It
was like, "I'm an Amsterdamer, of course I speak English. Don't be stupid."

When Dutch people found out my wife we taking Dutch lessons and trying to learn the language, they
thought that was the funniest thing they'd ever heard. "Why on earth would you learn Dutch," one
Dutch person asked her. "It's the most useless language in the world. We all speak English."

I thought that was pretty good stuff.

Adam

"Kenny" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> You got your point there. The chauvinisme of the french goes too far, especially when it comes to
> speeking other languages. Because French is a language that is spoken in so many countries they
> don't find it necesarry to learn other languages.

I don't get that feeling at all.

> I'm pretty sensitive about that and i really get mad if a walloon here in belgium doesn't even
> speak a few dutch words.

Um, Walloons not speaking Dutch is a different case entirely.

Robert Chung wrote:
> "Kenny" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>You got your point there. The chauvinisme of the french goes too far, especially when it comes to
>>speeking other languages. Because French is a language that is spoken in so many countries they
>>don't find it necesarry to learn other languages.
>

> I don't get that feeling at all.

That their chauvinism goes too far, or that they don't find it necessary to learn other
languages?

Steve

>> I'm pretty sensitive about that and i really get mad if a walloon here in belgium doesn't even
>> speak a few dutch words.
>

> Um, Walloons not speaking Dutch is a different case entirely.

"Ilan Vardi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
news:<[email protected]>...

http://www.nashbar.com/profile_moreimages.cfm?category=137&subcategory=1207&
> > sku=9034&brand=
> > >

> > Now thats one jersey I wouldnt wear in France.
>
> I've been wondering whether this is just a French phenomenon. On at least two occasions, I've
> cycled next to Americans here in Paris, and they have been unable to figure out that I may have
> lived in the US, despite my US club jersey.

Happens fairly often in Japan, while there I saw a teenage girl with a painting of a cat on
her t-shirt.

The words below the painting were in English and read: "Please pat my *****"!

Dashii

"Steven Bornfeld" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> Robert Chung wrote:
> > "Kenny" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> >
> >>You got your point there. The chauvinisme of the french goes too far, especially when it comes
> >>to speeking other languages. Because French is a language that is spoken in so many countries
> >>they don't find it necesarry to learn other languages.
> >
> > I don't get that feeling at all.
>
> That their chauvinism goes too far, or that they don't find it necessary to learn other languages?

I think the French understand that it's necessary to learn other languages. That's why a requirement
for the high school degree is two different foreign languages: 7 years of a primary foreign language
and 5 years of a secondary foreign language.

Boyd Speerschneider wrote:

> Probably one of the same dorks that would where a "Cutters" t-shirt over there. Talk about "the
> ugly american" ;)

What is objectionable about a Cutters t-shirt to the French?

Dave

--

http://www.davewyman.com

This mail is a natural product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual
character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.

"Dashi Toshii" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> Happens fairly often in Japan, while there I saw a teenage girl with a painting of a cat on her
> t-shirt.
>
> The words below the painting were in English and read: "Please pat my *****"!
>
> Dashii

Must have been Zsa Zsa Gabor's great granddaughter.

[email protected] (G. Focker) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> warren <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<190620032101531015%[email protected]>...
> > You mean you went to France and didn't know how to ask a simple question in French? That's rude
> > and presumptious. You got what you deserved. Have more respect for the country you're visiting
> > and learn at least a few words of the language > -WG
>
> Uh, Kind like we have expect the many illegal hispanic immigrants to learn english so much that
> we've began changing some street signs and most small signs to bi-lingual? Or how we make excuses
> for our own poor education and create optional languages like ebonics. HE never said he made no
> effort to learn any phrase in french, he simply related an experience. Seems like you're the one
> being presumtuious and maybe even a little nieve. Focker

What is your first language? Doesn't appear to be English...

Gerald

In article <[email protected]>, Carl Sundquist <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Dashi Toshii" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >
> > Happens fairly often in Japan, while there I saw a teenage girl with a painting of a cat on her
> > t-shirt.
> >
> > The words below the painting were in English and read: "Please pat my *****"!
> >
> > Dashii
> >

> Must have been Zsa Zsa Gabor's great granddaughter.

Carl, that line will be lost on the post-Carson, Jay Leno generation....

You don't get it, do you...

Nick Burns wrote:
> You don't get it, do you...

Why would you say that?

Steve

Lindsay wrote:

> Hell, if a French rider could just win a stage ...

i know you're exaggerating on purpose, but the french do win stages now and then. for example, they
won 2 stages last year. looking at the results, it's the belgians who are completely missing.

from http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2002/tour02/?id=results/stage00, etc.

usa - 4 stage wins prologue Lance Armstrong (USA) US Postal Service st 11 Lance Armstrong (USA)
US Postal Service st 12 Lance Armstrong (USA) US Postal Service st 19 Lance Armstrong (USA) US
Postal Service
------------------------------
australia - 3 stage wins st 3 Robbie McEwen (Aus) Lotto-Adecco st 7 Bradley McGee (Aus) FDJeux.com
st 20 Robbie McEwen (Aus) Lotto-Adecco
------------------------------
france, ned, spain, col - 2 stage wins st 10 Patrice Halgand (Fra) Jean Delatour st 14 Richard
Virenque (Fra) Domo-Farm Frites st 8 Karsten Kroon (Ned) Rabobank st 16 Michael Boogerd (Ned)
Rabobank st 2 Oscar Freire (Spa) Mapei-Quick Step st 4 (ttt) Once team, counting it as a spanish win
(??) st 9 Santiago Botero (Col) Kelme-Costa Blanca st 15 Santiago Botero (Col) Kelme-Costa Blanca
------------------------------
germany, italy, norway, great br, estonia, sw - 1 stage st 6 Erik Zabel (Ger) Team Deutsche Telekom
st 17 Dario Frigo (Ita) Tacconi Sport st 18 Thor Hushovd (Nor) Credit Agricole st 13 David Millar
(GBr) Cofidis st 5 Jaan Kirsipuu (Est) Ag2R Prevoyance st 1 Rubens Bertogliati (Swi) Lampre Daikin
------------------------------
belgium - big ol zero

BW wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>, Carl Sundquist <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>"Dashi Toshii" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>
>>>Happens fairly often in Japan, while there I saw a teenage girl with a painting of a cat on her
>>>t-shirt.
>>>
>>>The words below the painting were in English and read: "Please pat my *****"!
>>>
>>>Dashii
>>>

>>Must have been Zsa Zsa Gabor's great granddaughter.
>

> Carl, that line will be lost on the post-Carson, Jay Leno generation....
Actually, I thought it was Topo Gigio.

Steve

In article <[email protected]>, Kurgan Gringioni
<[email protected]> wrote:

> "warren" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:200620030858386315%[email protected]...
>
> >OTOH, if you're going to LIVE in the country I think you should be at least close to fluent in
> >the language.
>

> Fluency takes time. If you moved to France tommorrow, how long would it take you to become fluent?

Less than 2 months. When I was in college the people who went to France and other countries for
junior year abroad spent their first 6 weeks there learning the language and became fluent during
that time.

-WG

In article <[email protected]>, Steven Bornfeld <[email protected]> wrote:

> Nick Burns wrote:
> > You don't get it, do you...
>
> Why would you say that?
>
> Steve

Saying, "true or not" implies that you don't realize that "entrepeneur" IS a French word.

-WG

BW wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>, Carl Sundquist <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > "Dashi Toshii" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > >
> > > Happens fairly often in Japan, while there I saw a teenage girl with a painting of a cat on
> > > her t-shirt.
> > >
> > > The words below the painting were in English and read: "Please pat my *****"!
> > >
> > > Dashii
> > >

> > Must have been Zsa Zsa Gabor's great granddaughter.
>
> Carl, that line will be lost on the post-Carson, Jay Leno generation....

Did she actually say it on the Johnny Carson Show (i.e. "Would you like to pet my *****?") or is
this just urban legend in the same vein as Arnold Palmer's wife's comments (JC: "What do you do
before a tournament?", "I kiss his balls for good luck"; JC: "I bet that makes his putter stand on
end!") STF

warren wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>, Steven Bornfeld <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>Nick Burns wrote:
>>
>>>You don't get it, do you...
>>
>> Why would you say that?
>>
>>Steve
>

> Saying, "true or not" implies that you don't realize that "entrepeneur" IS a French word.
>
> -WG

I thought he meant whether or not it was true that GWB actually said this. (Completely credible to
me, BTW, but that's not the same as documented as true.)

-Mark Janeba

"warren" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:200620031643384343%[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>, Kurgan Gringioni
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > "warren" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:200620030858386315%[email protected]...
> >
> > >OTOH, if you're going to LIVE in the country I think you should be at least close to fluent in
> > >the language.
> >

> > Fluency takes time. If you moved to France tommorrow, how long would it
take
> > you to become fluent?
>
> Less than 2 months. When I was in college the people who went to France and other countries for
> junior year abroad spent their first 6 weeks there learning the language and became fluent during
> that time.

Uhhh, I doubt that counts as fluency.

My first language is Chinese, not English, I grew up speaking it at home, took 6 quarters of it in
college, been there 3 times (though for no longer than 1 month at a time). I'm not even close to
being fluent, although I have no accent.

Your buddies probably think they're fluent just because they can order at a restaurant, find a
bathroom or get laid by foreigners who are interested in Americans. Being able to hold an in-depth
conversation is the true measure and that takes longer than 2 months.

BTW, do you know any other languages? Because this 2 month thing seriously smacks of talking
out ur ass.