Most tasteless jersey ...

"Kyle Legate" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Kurgan Gringioni wrote:
> >
> > Fluency takes time. If you moved to France tommorrow, how long would it take you to become
> > fluent?
> >
> I'll let you know. I'm moving to Germany in a week.

Sweet. In two months you'll be fluent.

If you move to 5 other countries in the next year (2 months per country), you will be fluent in 7
languages. Badass.

Kennedy's mistake was in saying "Ich bin ein berliner" instead of "Ich bin Berliner" ...

in article [email protected], Howard Kveck at
[email protected] wrote on 06/21/2003 02:27:

> In article <[email protected]>, "Kyle Legate"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Kurgan Gringioni wrote:
>>>
>>> Fluency takes time. If you moved to France tommorrow, how long would it take you to become
>>> fluent?
>>>
>> I'll let you know. I'm moving to Germany in a week.
>>

> I've been told that a "berliner" is the name of a pastry in Germany. So Kennedy's famous speech
> might have been heard by Germans as: "I am a jelly donut."

Nein. "Ich komme aus Berlin" was what he was trying to say.

It would have only been better if it was warm that day, and he had tried to translate literally and
said "Ich bin heisse". That would have really been historic.

Adam

in article BB1A10FD.262A%[email protected], Steven L. Sheffield at [email protected] wrote
on 6/21/03 3:41 PM:

"warren" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:200620032156202923%[email protected]...

> I forgot to add, at the completion of the 6-week intensive French course the students were then
> able to take normal college classes at a French University with no allowances made for the
> American students. I'd consider that to be fluent, maybe you wouldn't.

Your standard is very low, Masters Fattie.

www.dictionary.com

flu·ent ( P ) Pronunciation Key (flnt) adj.

Able to express oneself readily and effortlessly: a fluent speaker; fluent in three languages.
Flowing effortlessly; polished: speaks fluent Russian; gave a fluent performance of the sonata

<snip>

It only takes 2 months to become an proficient bike racer too.

In article <[email protected]>, Steven Bornfeld <[email protected]> wrote:

> Gerard Lanois wrote:
> > warren <[email protected]> writes:

> >>Saying, "true or not" implies that you don't realize that "entrepeneur" IS a French word.
> >

> > I interpreted the "true or not" as "true or not that Bush ever really said that".
>

> That is correct. Some Bush quotes are almost impossible to believe--I've got the book
> "George W. Bushisms"--wonder if Vol. II is being readied. Sorry for the dangling modifier.

W. is one of the more amazing off-the-cuff speakers to become President, but you should keep in mind
that for most public figures, journalists routinely edit their occasional nonsense quotes to get
to the obvious or intended phrasing.

If they did not do this with Jean Chretien, Canadian Prime Minister and bilingual master of the
malapropism, he would be incomprehensible in both official languages.

Bill Clinton was a very articulate extemporaneous speaker, something which had almost no bearing on
his policy, suitability for office, or character. It did give him a firmer command of the bully
pulpit, though, and that is a powerful component of the office.

ObJersey: Nashbar is selling a Quisp Cereal jersey, which is just too cool.

One of my local clubs, the NSMBA, has what may be the most garish jersey in history. It has a busy,
primarily Agent Orange design, which appears to be designed so the bodies of errant freeriders can
be found when they disappear into the forest. Unfortunately, this design isn't visible on their
website yet.

Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos,

> Bad form to post a pic to this newsgroup,

I've been lurking here for awhile, but haven't seen the FAQ come across. Is it not acceptable to
post links here? The OP didn't actually post a picture, but rather posted a link to said picture.

mike

Kurgan Gringioni wrote:
> "Kyle Legate" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Kurgan Gringioni wrote:
>>>
>>> Fluency takes time. If you moved to France tommorrow, how long would it take you to become
>>> fluent?
>>>
>> I'll let you know. I'm moving to Germany in a week.
>
> Sweet. In two months you'll be fluent.
>
> If you move to 5 other countries in the next year (2 months per country), you will be fluent in 7
> languages. Badass.

If I include Belgium as one of those contries, I can learn two languages at the same time, to bring
my fluency to 8 languages. It's all about being efficient.

"Steven L. Sheffield" wrote:

> Kennedy's mistake was in saying "Ich bin ein berliner" instead of "Ich bin Berliner" ...

If Kennedy had been fluent in German, he would have known to use the capital 'B' to denote a noun in
both cases.

STF (pronounced differently)

"Kyle Legate" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> It's all about being efficient.

Of course. Thanks to LANCE, we know it's not about the bike.

this is all effluent to me.................... :p

Ryan Cousineau wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>, Steven Bornfeld <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>Gerard Lanois wrote:

>>>I interpreted the "true or not" as "true or not that Bush ever really said that".
>>

>> That is correct. Some Bush quotes are almost impossible to believe--I've got the book
>> "George W. Bushisms"--wonder if Vol. II is being readied. Sorry for the dangling modifier.
>

> W. is one of the more amazing off-the-cuff speakers to become President, but you should keep in
> mind that for most public figures, journalists routinely edit their occasional nonsense quotes
> to get to the obvious or intended phrasing.
>
> If they did not do this with Jean Chretien, Canadian Prime Minister and bilingual master of the
> malapropism, he would be incomprehensible in both official languages.

I never thought Bush Sr. lived up to his entertainment potential (only occasionally did Dan
Quayle). I'm hoping Norm Crosby will run someday.

Steve

> Bill Clinton was a very articulate extemporaneous speaker, something which had almost no bearing
> on his policy, suitability for office, or character. It did give him a firmer command of the bully
> pulpit, though, and that is a powerful component of the office.
>
> ObJersey: Nashbar is selling a Quisp Cereal jersey, which is just too cool.
>
> One of my local clubs, the NSMBA, has what may be the most garish jersey in history. It has a
> busy, primarily Agent Orange design, which appears to be designed so the bodies of errant
> freeriders can be found when they disappear into the forest. Unfortunately, this design isn't
> visible on their website yet.
>
> Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos,

someone else posted the picture....... OP was correct. The FAQ is posted at least once a week under
an obvious header the reads something like Weekly Posting of RBR FAQ and Location.......

Thornhill wrote:

> "Ryan Cousineau" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Bad form to post a pic to this newsgroup,
>
> I've been lurking here for awhile, but haven't seen the FAQ come across. Is it not acceptable to
> post links here? The OP didn't actually post a picture, but rather posted a link to said picture.
>
> mike

The original poster posted a link. But a followup had an attachment.

Ryan Cousineau wrote:

> Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos,

The Executioner, you right-winger :)

"Thornhill" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Ryan Cousineau" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Bad form to post a pic to this newsgroup,
>
> I've been lurking here for awhile, but haven't seen the FAQ come across.
Is
> it not acceptable to post links here? The OP didn't actually post a
picture,
> but rather posted a link to said picture.

Posting a link is okay, but some rude ******* went ahead and posted a picutre. One should never post
binaries to usnet, except in binary newsgroups.

in article BB1A3081.83B0%[email protected], Adam Hodges Myerson at
[email protected] wrote on 06/21/2003 13:55:

> Nein. "Ich komme aus Berlin" was what he was trying to say.
>
> It would have only been better if it was warm that day, and he had tried to translate literally
> and said "Ich bin heisse". That would have really been historic.

I can only assume that means the same as saying "Je suis chaud" in Paris ...

in article BB1AB8D9.26CE%[email protected], Steven L. Sheffield at [email protected] wrote
on 6/22/03 3:37 AM:

> in article BB1A3081.83B0%[email protected], Adam Hodges Myerson at
> [email protected] wrote on 06/21/2003 13:55:
>
>> Nein. "Ich komme aus Berlin" was what he was trying to say.
>>
>> It would have only been better if it was warm that day, and he had tried to translate literally
>> and said "Ich bin heisse". That would have really been historic.
>

> I can only assume that means the same as saying "Je suis chaud" in Paris ...

Indeed.

It was a source of infinite amusement for my German friends until they finally told me there's a
difference between "having" heat, and "being" hot. And I mean hot in a Chelsea kind of way.

Ewoud Dronkert <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<

> That even though we're in Holland, we are Dutch and speak Dutch, foreigners almost always start
> talking to us in English assuming we will voluntarily and as a matter of course talk English with
> them, not Dutch.
>
> BTW, it's not a very strange assumption. But more polite would be if Johnny would start out with
> "Meneer, mag ik u wat vragen in het Engels?".

Ewoud

I can give you one simple reason why vreemdelingen don't go out of their way to speak Dutch. The
moment you try, a Dutch person will reply in english (well a dutch person living in Amsterdam at
least - it's a bit differenet in groningen, and the other provinical cities outside of the
R'dam/Utrecht/A'dam zone).

It's pretty f*cking annoying. I've been here for 8 years, and I still get bartenders telling me how
much the tab is in english after I've ordered in dutch.

Guess it's the drawback of being a polyglot mercantile nation, not to mention the fact that there's
only about 20+ million speaking the language.

groetjes

otto

"otto" <[email protected]> wrote in message >

> I can give you one simple reason why vreemdelingen don't go out of their way to speak Dutch. The
> moment you try, a Dutch person will reply in english (well a dutch person living in Amsterdam at
> least - it's a bit differenet in groningen, and the other provinical cities outside of the
> R'dam/Utrecht/A'dam zone).
>
> It's pretty f*cking annoying. I've been here for 8 years, and I still get bartenders telling me
> how much the tab is in english after I've ordered in dutch.

hehe - ik ook (although I live in Belgium). I get the impression that Belgians will seize any
opportunity to practice their English on foreigners. I consider it a win if I ask for something in
Dutch and get answered back in the same language because my accent must be recognisable from a mile
off. I can even fool people who ask me directions, although I've no way of knowing whether they
ended up in the right place...

Jeff

Sandy schreef:

> With all that has been said, I have trouble understanding the motivation to visit our country
> without some idea that we live in a different language. Could it just be more conspicuous
> comsumption ?

isnt that what most tourism is about ? consume the sights, stay in the protected comfortable
areas, make the right pictures, find it 'exotic' ? That can't be specificly thrown at 'em
unilingual Amricans.

In Spain there are places with quarters where all shops, cafes... have become totally German or
Dutch-speaking, so the tourist isn't hindered in any way by that annoying local language.

> Wanna to go to France, cuz.... Gee I dunno ! Better get there before GWB decides on a regime
> change there.....

Chill, apparently Belgium is higher on that list.

> On the jersey, it is not wrong to be proud that Armstrong and Lemond have taken the Tour so many
> times - it's just the hostile manner of expression that offends.

I would appreciate it when persons with a sense of sarcasm and self-depreciation wore it.