Most tasteless jersey ...

okay, a little late in this thread, but... I went to France last summer, and I rode through many
small villages and spent time in quite a few places. I surprised to find that just about everyone I
met was kind, especially in the smaller villages. I had a minimum amount of French language, and in
some places I had a hard time getting anything due to the accent, but the worst attitude I got was
indifference. Many people went out of their way to help me, give me directions, and I never felt
unwelcome. I always started with French, and never had any problems. More people are rude to me in
New York than in France. Go figure.

WHitfit

"Van Hoorebeeck Bart" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Chill, apparently Belgium is higher on that list.

Then you're safe. Most Americans couldn't tell you what continent Belgium is
in. Remember that guy who was asking about where in Belgium he should go to see Paris-Roubaix?

Robert Chung schreef:

> Then you're safe. Most Americans couldn't tell you what continent Belgium is
> in.

The US government's commands on changing our law were very direct though.

"Van Hoorebeeck Bart" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Robert Chung schreef:
>
> > Then you're safe. Most Americans couldn't tell you what continent
Belgium is
> > in.
>
> The US government's commands on changing our law were very direct though.

So what you're saying is, you and Amit would be willing to wear that jersey in France.

Robert Chung schreef:

> So what you're saying is, you and Amit would be willing to wear that jersey in France.

I don't expect the crowd to share the humor I see in it.

BTW in another thread (Serena...) I minimised the anti-americanism in sports. But now I heard the US
anthem got fiercely booed at a soccer game in France last week.

"Jeff Jones" <jeff@cyclingnews-punt-com> wrote in message news:<
> hehe - ik ook (although I live in Belgium). I get the impression that Belgians will seize any
> opportunity to practice their English on foreigners. I consider it a win if I ask for something in
> Dutch and get answered back in the same language because my accent must be recognisable from a
> mile off. I can even fool people who ask me directions, although I've no way of knowing whether
> they ended up in the right place...
>
> Jeff

I hear you brother. it most certainly is a result when you get a reply in dutch.

and when people ask directions, i just give them a surly look and say ja, ja, recht door een jouw
erste links (or whatever). then they're off. they buy it everytime...

"otto" <[email protected]> wrote in message >

> and when people ask directions, i just give them a surly look and say ja, ja, recht door een jouw
> erste links (or whatever). then they're off. they buy it everytime...

Explains why there are so many bikes in the canals :)

Jeff

"whitfit" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> okay, a little late in this thread, but... I went to France last summer, and I rode through many
> small villages and spent time in
quite
> a few places. I surprised to find that just about everyone I met
was
> kind, especially in the smaller villages. I had a minimum amount of French language, and in some
> places I had a hard time getting
anything
> due to the accent, but the worst attitude I got was indifference. Many people went out of their
> way to help me, give me directions,
and
> I never felt unwelcome. I always started with French, and never had any problems. More people are
> rude to me in New York than in
France.
> Go figure.

Go figure what? I don't speak a whiff of French and had the same experience. The waiters in Paris
were less rude than those in San Francisco.

"Jeff Jones" <jeff@cyclingnews-punt-com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> I can even fool people who ask me directions, although I've no way
of
> knowing hether they ended up in the right place...

(driving off) (What the hell did he say?) (I haven't the faintest but let's get out of here before
he tortures the language even worse.!)

As long as the Statue of Liberty stands in New York Harbor France and the US will be bickering
like the relatives they are. Who stepped up in 1917 and 1943? That gives us the right to give you
a rashion any time we want to. And you've got the right to give it back. Then we'll gang up on
the Belgians.

"Sandy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> With all that has been said, I have trouble understanding the
motivation to
> visit our country without some idea that we live in a different
language.
> Could it just be more conspicuous comsumption ? Wanna to go to
France,
> cuz.... Gee I dunno ! Better get there before GWB decides on a
regime
> change there.....
>
> And was that the big horror of the trip ? Did you feel the need to
leave
> immediately ? Did you leave ? Will you promise not to come again ?
>
> On the jersey, it is not wrong to be proud that Armstrong and Lemond
have
> taken the Tour so many times - it's just the hostile manner of
expression
> that offends.
>
> Cheers,
>
> "warren" <[email protected]> a écrit dans news:200620030858386315%[email protected]...
> > In article <[email protected]>, Qui si
parla
> > Campagnolo <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > > Jim writes-<< The one time I was in Paris, I asked the woman at
the
> airport
> > > information
> (in
> > >
> > > warren responds-<< You mean you went to France and didn't know
how to
> ask a
> > > simple question in French? That's rude and presumptious. >><BR><BR>
> > >
> > > Absolutely, the french chick had every right to blow smoke in
his
> face!!! How
> > > dare the American not be fluent in french when in france!!!!
> > >
> > > YGBSM, A person came into the shop that didn't speak english,
only
> spanish. I
> > > went next door and got a guy that could translate...I guess I
should
> have
> > > ****** on his foot or something since he didn't speak english,
according
> > > warren....
> >
> > Peter, et al. Asking for the currency exhange in a foreign country
is
> > one of only 5 or 6 phrases you really need to know. Like where is
the
> > bathroom, where is the metro/bus/train/boat, how much does this
cost, I
> > would like, do you have, etc. This is far different from being
fluent
> > in the language and these few phrases and some basic vocabulary
can be
> > learned during the flight over.
> >
> > People are generally very helpful and appreciative that you make
at
> > least some effort to speak their language. OTOH, if you're going
> > LIVE in the country I think you should be at least close to fluent
in
> > the language.
> >
> > -WG

> That gives us the right to give you a

rashion

> any time we want to.

Worst spelling butcher-job I've seen in a long, long time.

> > That gives us the right to give you a
> rashion
> > any time we want to.
> Worst spelling butcher-job I've seen in a long, long time.

What's the matter? Can't read French? I wrote that after 160 miles what do you expect? I was sitting
a bit gingerly at the time. My mind was elsewhere.

Steven Bornfeld <[email protected]> wrote:

>BW wrote:

>>>Must have been Zsa Zsa Gabor's great granddaughter.
>>

>> Carl, that line will be lost on the post-Carson, Jay Leno generation....
> Actually, I thought it was Topo Gigio.

???? As an old fan of Topo Gigio, what does he has to do with this?

That is foreplay over man. She wanted you!

"Jim Martin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Boyd Speerschneider" <[email protected]> wrote
> > You can bet your ass some dork will, though. Probably one of the same dorks that would where a
> > "Cutters" t-shirt over there. Talk about "the ugly american"
>
> What about the ugly french?
>
> The one time I was in Paris, I asked the woman at the airport information booth were I could
> change currency. She blew smoke in my face and said (in English) that she did not speak English.
> This was a woman working in the information booth at a major international airport and she was
> openly hostile to Amercians. Gimme that Jersey and I'll wear it!
>
> Cheers,
>
> Jim
>

> ---

What is Cipo wearing. That is my vote.

"Adam Hodges Myerson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:BB1B4514.83FB%[email protected]...
> in article BB1AB8D9.26CE%[email protected], Steven L. Sheffield at [email protected] wrote
> on 6/22/03 3:37 AM:
>
> > in article BB1A3081.83B0%[email protected], Adam Hodges Myerson at
> > [email protected] wrote on 06/21/2003 13:55:
> >
> >> Nein. "Ich komme aus Berlin" was what he was trying to say.
> >>
> >> It would have only been better if it was warm that day, and he had
tried to
> >> translate literally and said "Ich bin heisse". That would have really
been
> >> historic.
> >

> > I can only assume that means the same as saying "Je suis chaud" in Paris
>
> Indeed.
>
> It was a source of infinite amusement for my German friends until they finally told me there's a
> difference between "having" heat, and "being"
hot.

"G" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:1fwvgsc.1qawo7m150tvzkN%[email protected]...
> Pete <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > "Tezza" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > http://www.nashbar.com/profile_moreimages-
> > > >
> > .cfm?category=137&subcategory=1207&sku=9034&brand=http://www.nashbar.co-

m/profile_moreimages.cfm?category=137&subcategory=1207&sku=9034&brand=

> > > "Oh,,,, why does the rest of the world hate us so much?"
> >

> > Pete

Pete

Check again: http://raam.hypermart.net/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=TRS&Product_Code=VOLJX

All the Primal Wear jerseys are incredibly ridiculous looking IMO and seen on the closeout racks.

This was on the GearZone on OLN Sportszone. Now this is borderline funny. I can't see myself wearing
it into 7-11 though, especially at $74.95.
http://www.nashbar.com/profile_moreimages.cfm?category=137&subcategory=1207&sku=8888&brand=

Here's some real eye candy:
http://www.worldcycling.com/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=WCP&Product_Code=TM03JBS

Only $99.95 for this jersey
http://www.worldcycling.com/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=WCP&Product_Code=TM03JBJ

Don't they know unemployment is so high.