most visited websites for bicyclists

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by peewee, Dec 15, 2004.

  1. peewee

    peewee Guest

    Howdy all. I am new to bicycling and would like to know what are the
    best websites to visit for getting more information, must-have items
    and such? Thanks for your help!

    Tags:

  2. peewee wrote:

    > Howdy all. I am new to bicycling and would like to know what are the
    > best websites to visit for getting more information, must-have items
    > and such? Thanks for your help!

    "Best" is certainly a matter of personal preference. But here are some
    you might like:

    http://www.bicyclinglife.com is slanted towards those new to bicycling,
    plus practical use of bikes.

    http://www.kenkifer.com/bikepages/ is great reading, much of it with a
    touring and somewhat philosophical bent.

    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/#articles is terrific on technical
    stuff, mostly articles by Sheldon Brown, a very knowledgeable guy.

    http://draco.acs.uci.edu/rbfaq/FAQ/index.html has the Frequently Asked
    Questions from the bicycling discussion groups, mostly articles written
    by Jobst Brandt, a very knowledgeable guy.

    --
    --------------------+
    replace with cc.ysu dot edu]

  3. Jeff Starr

    Jeff Starr Guest

    On 15 Dec 2004 20:03:54 -0800, "peewee" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Howdy all. I am new to bicycling and would like to know what are the
    >best websites to visit for getting more information, must-have items
    >and such? Thanks for your help!

    For info:

    http://sheldonbrown.com/articles.html

    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/beginners/index.html

    For accessories, clothing, and some parts:

    http://www.performancebike.com/

    http://www.nashbar.com/

    For handbuilt wheels:

    http://www.vecchios.com/

    For the hard to find:

    http://www.yellowjersey.org/

    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/parts.html

    Life is Good!
    Jeff

  4. psycholist

    psycholist Guest

    "peewee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Howdy all. I am new to bicycling and would like to know what are the
    > best websites to visit for getting more information, must-have items
    > and such? Thanks for your help!

    For following the racing scene:

    www.cyclingnews.com
    www.velonews.com
    www.pezcyclingnews.com
    www.dailypeloton.com
    www.procycling.com

    more cycling retailers:

    www.coloradocyclist.com
    www.excelsports.com

    --
    Bob C.

    "Of course it hurts. The trick is not minding that it hurts."
    T. E. Lawrence (of Arabia)

  5. On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 16:19:03 GMT, "Steven M. Scharf"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    [links to his own websites]

    There you go, folks: Scharf genuinely does listen only to the voices
    inside his own head :)

    Guy
    http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

    88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at CHS, Puget Sound

  6. Pat Lamb

    Pat Lamb Guest

    peewee wrote:
    > Howdy all. I am new to bicycling and would like to know what are the
    > best websites to visit for getting more information, must-have items
    > and such? Thanks for your help!

    You've gotten some good suggestions. Sheldon Brown's site is the first
    one I turn to when a question comes up about, well, bicycles. To
    refresh your memory, it's at http://www.sheldonbrown.com/articles.html
    Bicycling life and the late Ken Kifer's pages are also very good.

    I'd also suggest you take a look at how to ride on roads at
    http://www.bikexprt.com/streetsmarts/usa/index.htm

    Pat

  7. ghostpedal

    ghostpedal New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 26, 2004
  8. Jym Dyer

    Jym Dyer Guest

  9. Bill Baka

    Bill Baka Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > peewee wrote:
    >> Howdy all. I am new to bicycling and would like to know what are the
    >> best websites to visit for getting more information, must-have items
    >> and such? Thanks for your help!

    > http://bicyclelighting.com
    > http://bicycleshortlist.com
    > http://bicyclecoffeesystems.com
    > http://commutebike.com
    > http://foldingbicycle.net
    > http://bicyclehelmets.info

    Add pricepoint.com to that.

    --
    Bill (?) Baka

  10. Jeff Starr

    Jeff Starr Guest

  11. Bill Baka wrote:

    > On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 16:19:03 GMT, Steven M. Scharf
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> peewee wrote:
    >>
    >>> Howdy all. I am new to bicycling and would like to know what are the
    >>> best websites to visit for getting more information, must-have items
    >>> and such? Thanks for your help!

    >> http://bicyclelighting.com
    >> http://bicycleshortlist.com
    >> http://bicyclecoffeesystems.com
    >> http://commutebike.com
    >> http://foldingbicycle.net
    >> http://bicyclehelmets.info
    >>

    > Add pricepoint.com to that.

    Wouldn't fit! Pricepoint isn't written by the "World's Greatest
    Authority!" ;-)

    --
    --------------------+
    replace with cc.ysu dot edu]

  12. Jeff Starr wrote:

    >Yeah, Park tool, I knew I forgot something. Good addition;-)

    Even my local drug store (Long’s) now sells many of the more common Park
    Tools. So if I need a tool at 10:30 at night, I have a place to go to
    get it, as well as tubes, pumps, Skab patches, etc. They also carry a
    lot of CatEye products. It’s in the same strip mall with a banker’s
    hours bike shop, that I rarely see open.

  13. Bill Baka wrote:

    > On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 16:19:03 GMT, Steven M. Scharf
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> peewee wrote:
    >>
    >>> Howdy all. I am new to bicycling and would like to know what are the
    >>> best websites to visit for getting more information, must-have items
    >>> and such? Thanks for your help!

    >> http://bicyclelighting.com
    >> http://bicycleshortlist.com
    >> http://bicyclecoffeesystems.com
    >> http://commutebike.com
    >> http://foldingbicycle.net
    >> http://bicyclehelmets.info
    >>

    > Add pricepoint.com to that.

    I looked at that site. Not a great selection.