Most Worthwhile Upgrade?

Jef

Guest
I own a 1995 Cannondale R600 with RX100 and Ultegra components. The bike must have 10,000 miles on
it but through meticulous maintenance and careful shipping, moving and storage it is in terrific
shape. I ride a couple hundred miles each week plus I race a few crits, a couple tri's and a century
or two each year.

My question to the group is this:

Which $300-500 upgrade will give me the most "bang for my buck"?

1. A new wheelset
2. DuraAce 9 speed upgrade kit
3. A used Cannondale frame (CAAD 5?)
4. New carbon cranks w/ larger chainrings
5. New carbon Slice fork
6. Various "other" components (lighter handlebars, pedals, stem, etc.)
7. Another recommendation...

Thanks, jef

>Which $300-500 upgrade will give me the most "bang for my buck"?
>
>1. A new wheelset

A new lighter wheelset for those special occasions. Please jote that one of the new wheelsets may be
heavier than a wheelset made by your local builder or Peter Chisolm. Phil Brown

"Phil Brown" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> >Which $300-500 upgrade will give me the most "bang for my buck"?
> >
> >1. A new wheelset
>
> A new lighter wheelset for those special occasions. Please jote that
one of the
> new wheelsets may be heavier than a wheelset made by your local
builder or
> Peter Chisolm.

If it has an Al fork, I would change that out, too. I had a 2.8 with an Al fork that was like a
noodle when sprinting. The OP could get wheels and forks for $500 if he does not buy K$yeriums or
some other over-priced pre-fab wheel set, or an over-priced CF forks.

Also, does this vintage of the R600 have the 2.8 frame with those ridiculous crimped stays and and
cantilevered drop-outs? My 1993 frame cracked at the crimp, but the 1995 replacement seems to be
holding. I think Cannondale dumped that design in '96 or thereabouts. Wait until it breaks and then
get a warranty replacement frame. -- Jay Beattie.

jef wrote:

>I own a 1995 Cannondale R600 with RX100 and Ultegra components. The bike must have 10,000 miles on
>it but through meticulous maintenance and careful shipping, moving and storage it is in terrific
>shape. I ride a couple hundred miles each week plus I race a few crits, a couple tri's and a
>century or two each year.
>
>My question to the group is this:
>
>Which $300-500 upgrade will give me the most "bang for my buck"?
>
>1. A new wheelset
>2. DuraAce 9 speed upgrade kit
>3. A used Cannondale frame (CAAD 5?)
>4. New carbon cranks w/ larger chainrings
>5. New carbon Slice fork
>6. Various "other" components (lighter handlebars, pedals, stem, etc.)
>7. Another recommendation...
>
>Thanks, jef

Since you're using the bike for a wide variety of riding and high mileage I'd suggest investing your
money in durable, reliable, and comfortable wheels/tires, and investing your time in learning how to
build them well. If you're already satisfied with the performance of your wheels, then keep riding.

> >My question to the group is this:
> >
> >Which $300-500 upgrade will give me the most "bang for my buck"?

1. Getting your postion on the bike spot on - that is, where all of the useable muscles are fully
available to get you down the road and are not required to overcome an unsuitable position.

2. Well fitted aerobars - if you do tris you probably have these but if you don't they made more
difference to improving speed and endurance than anything else I tried on the bike

and I did try a lot of things.... best, Andrew

"jef" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> Which $300-500 upgrade will give me the most "bang for my buck"?

I'd go for comfort which is greatly effected by where you actually contact the bike. I had a bike
that I really didn't like until I added speedplay pedals and a brooks saddle Now I love it.

New handlebars can be a nice upgrade if you would prefer something wider or with a different drop.

New tires can effect the ride alot.

You can spend a whole lot of money and maybe !? be a little faster. You can spend half that money
and definitely add alot of comfort.

#7 - save it for a new bike. "Upgrades" usually give very low bang for the
buck. The margins on components are way higher than on complete bikes. If something has worn out, it
may be worth upgrading while replacing, but that's about it. For regular racers, a spare set of
wheels might be worthwhile, especially since they'd be usable with a new bike in the future