Mostly OT: Learning to sew

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Julieb, Jan 26, 2004.

  1. Julieb

    Julieb Guest

    I know we've got some sewers out there, so I'm starting here. I want to learn how to sew my own
    clothes properly. Mostly because I need a new wardrobe (yay!), and because the only things I really
    like in the shops are expensive.

    I know how basic patterns work, but I've got no idea how to modify them to fit me, or how to do
    complicated things (ie anything that isn't a straight seam, or a zip, or a buttonhole). So, what's
    the best way to go about learning? Should I do a course? Is it something I can learn from a book?
    Trial and error (bearing in mind I'm not the most patient of people)?

    Any advice would be more than welcome :)

    --
    Julie.
    93.5/72.3/74 (WW)/72 (Personal) kg

    Tags:

  2. can only wish you well, haven't a clue, Lee
    JulieB <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I know we've got some sewers out there, so I'm starting here. I want to learn how to sew my own
    > clothes properly. Mostly because I need a new wardrobe (yay!), and because the only things I
    > really like in the shops are expensive.
    >
    > I know how basic patterns work, but I've got no idea how to modify them to fit me, or how to do
    > complicated things (ie anything that isn't a straight seam, or a zip, or a buttonhole). So, what's
    > the best way to go about learning? Should I do a course? Is it something I can learn from a book?
    > Trial and error (bearing in mind I'm not the most patient of people)?
    >
    > Any advice would be more than welcome :)
    >
    > --
    > Julie.
    > 93.5/72.3/74 (WW)/72 (Personal) kg

  3. Kate Dicey

    Kate Dicey Guest

    JulieB wrote:

    > I know we've got some sewers out there, so I'm starting here. I want to learn how to sew my own
    > clothes properly. Mostly because I need a new wardrobe (yay!), and because the only things I
    > really like in the shops are expensive.
    >
    > I know how basic patterns work, but I've got no idea how to modify them to fit me, or how to do
    > complicated things (ie anything that isn't a straight seam, or a zip, or a buttonhole). So, what's
    > the best way to go about learning? Should I do a course? Is it something I can learn from a book?
    > Trial and error (bearing in mind I'm not the most patient of people)?
    >
    > Any advice would be more than welcome :)
    >
    > --
    > Julie.
    > 93.5/72.3/74 (WW)/72 (Personal) kg

    Start by taking a good look round my web site (URL below). There are some basic lessons there on
    reading pattern symbols and seams, plus lots of other information on sewing stuff, including a
    book list. There are a couple of books listed there that will help you with fitting. There's also
    a heap of stuff I've done, and some of that shows pattern alterations. No selling - my site is
    information only.

    Then look up alt.sewing - a lovely news group that will steer you through all these things. You'll
    see several familiar faces!

    Click on Kate's Pages and explore!

  4. Hi, Julie, Start with something basic and easy. You could do pants with an elastic waistband and no
    pockets. As you go along, you will become better. One idea is to make a practice piece to see how it
    will look. You could look on line for advice or in the library. As for zippers, most patterns have
    explanations as to how to install them.

    --
    Take Care Catherine
    154/135.8/136 Lifetime 6/99 Next personal goal 133.2

    "JulieB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I know we've got some sewers out there, so I'm starting here. I want to learn how to sew my own
    > clothes properly. Mostly because I need a new wardrobe (yay!), and because the only things I
    > really like in the shops are expensive.
    >
    > I know how basic patterns work, but I've got no idea how to modify them to fit me, or how to do
    > complicated things (ie anything that isn't a straight seam, or a zip, or a buttonhole). So, what's
    > the best way to go about learning? Should I do a course? Is it something I can learn from a book?
    > Trial and error (bearing in mind I'm not the most patient of people)?
    >
    > Any advice would be more than welcome :)
    >
    > --
    > Julie.
    > 93.5/72.3/74 (WW)/72 (Personal) kg

  5. Sew Grand

    Sew Grand Guest

  6. Julieb

    Julieb Guest

    Thanks for the good wishes Lee - I have a feeling I'm going to need them!

    --
    Julie.
    93.5/72.3/74 (WW)/72 (Personal) kg

    Here's our FAQ: http://www.didian.com/asdww/ and welcome notice:
    http://www.geocities.com/welcomenotice/index.html

    "Miss Violette" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    berlin.de...
    > can only wish you well, haven't a clue, Lee JulieB <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > I know we've got some sewers out there, so I'm starting here. I want to learn how to sew my own
    > > clothes properly. Mostly because I need a new wardrobe (yay!), and because the only things I
    > > really like in the shops are expensive.
    > >
    > > I know how basic patterns work, but I've got no idea how to modify them to fit me, or how to do
    > > complicated things (ie anything that isn't a straight seam, or a zip, or a buttonhole). So,
    > > what's the best way to go about learning? Should I do a course? Is it something I can learn from
    > > a book? Trial and error (bearing in mind I'm not the most patient of people)?
    > >
    > > Any advice would be more than welcome :)
    > >
    > > --
    > > Julie.
    > > 93.5/72.3/74 (WW)/72 (Personal) kg

  7. Julieb

    Julieb Guest

    "Kate Dicey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > JulieB wrote:
    > >
    > > I know we've got some sewers out there, so I'm starting here. I want to learn how to sew my own
    > > clothes properly. Mostly because I need a new wardrobe (yay!), and because the only things I
    > > really like in the shops are expensive.
    > >
    > > I know how basic patterns work, but I've got no idea how to modify them to fit me, or how to do
    > > complicated things (ie anything that isn't a straight seam, or a zip, or a buttonhole). So,
    > > what's the best way to go about learning? Should I do a course? Is it something I can learn from
    > > a book? Trial and error (bearing in mind I'm not the most patient of people)?
    > >
    > > Any advice would be more than welcome :)
    > >
    > > --
    > > Julie.
    > > 93.5/72.3/74 (WW)/72 (Personal) kg
    >
    > Start by taking a good look round my web site (URL below). There are some basic lessons there on
    > reading pattern symbols and seams, plus lots of other information on sewing stuff, including a
    > book list. There are a couple of books listed there that will help you with fitting. There's also
    > a heap of stuff I've done, and some of that shows pattern alterations. No selling - my site is
    > information only.

    That's a great site you have Kate. I'm going to see if I can get my hands on some of those books and
    do some reading - that's something I have no problem doing!

    > Then look up alt.sewing - a lovely news group that will steer you through all these things. You'll
    > see several familiar faces!

    Heading over there now.... Friendly looking group :)

    --
    Julie.
    93.5/72.3/74 (WW)/72 (Personal) kg
    93.5/73./162.8 (WW)/158 (Personal) lb

    Here's our FAQ: http://www.didian.com/asdww/ and welcome notice:
    http://www.geocities.com/welcomenotice/index.html

  8. Julieb

    Julieb Guest

    Oh yeah, easy was definitely in my plan. I already have a top pattern for something else that's
    marked "very easy", so I might start with that. Now to get myself a sewing machine....

    --
    Julie.
    93.5/72.3/74 (WW)/72 (Personal) kg
    93.5/73./162.8 (WW)/158 (Personal) lb

    Here's our FAQ: http://www.didian.com/asdww/ and welcome notice:
    http://www.geocities.com/welcomenotice/index.html

    "Catherine White" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi, Julie, Start with something basic and easy. You could do pants with
    an
    > elastic waistband and no pockets. As you go along, you will become
    better.
    > One idea is to make a practice piece to see how it will look. You could look on line for advice or
    > in the library. As for zippers, most patterns have explanations as to how to install them.
    >
    > --
    > Take Care Catherine
    > 154/135.8/136 Lifetime 6/99 Next personal goal 133.2
    >

    > "JulieB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > I know we've got some sewers out there, so I'm starting here. I want to learn how to sew my own
    > > clothes properly. Mostly because I need a new wardrobe (yay!), and because the only things I
    > > really like in the shops are expensive.
    > >
    > > I know how basic patterns work, but I've got no idea how to modify them to fit me, or how to do
    > > complicated things (ie anything that isn't a straight seam, or a zip, or a buttonhole). So,
    > > what's the best way to go about learning? Should I do a course? Is it something I can learn from
    > > a book? Trial and error (bearing in mind I'm not the most patient of people)?
    > >
    > > Any advice would be more than welcome :)
    > >
    > > --
    > > Julie.
    > > 93.5/72.3/74 (WW)/72 (Personal) kg

  9. Julieb

    Julieb Guest

  10. Kate Dicey

    Kate Dicey Guest

    JulieB wrote:

    > Oh yeah, easy was definitely in my plan. I already have a top pattern for something else that's
    > marked "very easy", so I might start with that. Now to get myself a sewing machine....

    Ask Penny S on alt.sewing for the buying a machine FAQ: best advice on the net - bar none! And see
    ya over there! Be warned - I'm a lot chattier and more opinionated over there! ;P

    Click on Kate's Pages and explore!

  11. Hi, JulieB, In Central New Jersey there are still sewing machine repair places. Most of these offer
    used machines at very good prices. If you have never owned a machine before, and money is a
    consideration, you might look into this. I think it would be better to get a re-conditioned good
    machine in place of a new cheaper made machine.