Mostly OT: Learning to sew

Julieb

Guest
I know we've got some sewers out there, so I'm starting here. I want to learn how to sew my own
clothes properly. Mostly because I need a new wardrobe (yay!), and because the only things I really
like in the shops are expensive.

I know how basic patterns work, but I've got no idea how to modify them to fit me, or how to do
complicated things (ie anything that isn't a straight seam, or a zip, or a buttonhole). So, what's
the best way to go about learning? Should I do a course? Is it something I can learn from a book?
Trial and error (bearing in mind I'm not the most patient of people)?

Any advice would be more than welcome :)

--
Julie.
93.5/72.3/74 (WW)/72 (Personal) kg

can only wish you well, haven't a clue, Lee
news:[email protected]...

JulieB wrote:

> I know we've got some sewers out there, so I'm starting here. I want to learn how to sew my own
> clothes properly. Mostly because I need a new wardrobe (yay!), and because the only things I
> really like in the shops are expensive.
>
> I know how basic patterns work, but I've got no idea how to modify them to fit me, or how to do
> complicated things (ie anything that isn't a straight seam, or a zip, or a buttonhole). So, what's
> the best way to go about learning? Should I do a course? Is it something I can learn from a book?
> Trial and error (bearing in mind I'm not the most patient of people)?
>
> Any advice would be more than welcome :)
>
> --
> Julie.
> 93.5/72.3/74 (WW)/72 (Personal) kg

Start by taking a good look round my web site (URL below). There are some basic lessons there on
reading pattern symbols and seams, plus lots of other information on sewing stuff, including a
book list. There are a couple of books listed there that will help you with fitting. There's also
a heap of stuff I've done, and some of that shows pattern alterations. No selling - my site is
information only.

Then look up alt.sewing - a lovely news group that will steer you through all these things. You'll
see several familiar faces!

Click on Kate's Pages and explore!

Hi, Julie, Start with something basic and easy. You could do pants with an elastic waistband and no
pockets. As you go along, you will become better. One idea is to make a practice piece to see how it
will look. You could look on line for advice or in the library. As for zippers, most patterns have
explanations as to how to install them.

--
Take Care Catherine
154/135.8/136 Lifetime 6/99 Next personal goal 133.2

"JulieB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I know we've got some sewers out there, so I'm starting here. I want to learn how to sew my own
> clothes properly. Mostly because I need a new wardrobe (yay!), and because the only things I
> really like in the shops are expensive.
>
> I know how basic patterns work, but I've got no idea how to modify them to fit me, or how to do
> complicated things (ie anything that isn't a straight seam, or a zip, or a buttonhole). So, what's
> the best way to go about learning? Should I do a course? Is it something I can learn from a book?
> Trial and error (bearing in mind I'm not the most patient of people)?
>
> Any advice would be more than welcome :)
>
> --
> Julie.
> 93.5/72.3/74 (WW)/72 (Personal) kg

Thanks for the good wishes Lee - I have a feeling I'm going to need them!

--
Julie.
93.5/72.3/74 (WW)/72 (Personal) kg

Here's our FAQ: http://www.didian.com/asdww/ and welcome notice:
http://www.geocities.com/welcomenotice/index.html

"Miss Violette" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
berlin.de...
> can only wish you well, haven't a clue, Lee JulieB <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > I know we've got some sewers out there, so I'm starting here. I want to learn how to sew my own
> > clothes properly. Mostly because I need a new wardrobe (yay!), and because the only things I
> > really like in the shops are expensive.
> >
> > I know how basic patterns work, but I've got no idea how to modify them to fit me, or how to do
> > complicated things (ie anything that isn't a straight seam, or a zip, or a buttonhole). So,
> > what's the best way to go about learning? Should I do a course? Is it something I can learn from
> > a book? Trial and error (bearing in mind I'm not the most patient of people)?
> >
> > Any advice would be more than welcome :)
> >
> > --
> > Julie.
> > 93.5/72.3/74 (WW)/72 (Personal) kg

"Kate Dicey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> JulieB wrote:
> >
> > I know we've got some sewers out there, so I'm starting here. I want to learn how to sew my own
> > clothes properly. Mostly because I need a new wardrobe (yay!), and because the only things I
> > really like in the shops are expensive.
> >
> > I know how basic patterns work, but I've got no idea how to modify them to fit me, or how to do
> > complicated things (ie anything that isn't a straight seam, or a zip, or a buttonhole). So,
> > what's the best way to go about learning? Should I do a course? Is it something I can learn from
> > a book? Trial and error (bearing in mind I'm not the most patient of people)?
> >
> > Any advice would be more than welcome :)
> >
> > --
> > Julie.
> > 93.5/72.3/74 (WW)/72 (Personal) kg
>
> Start by taking a good look round my web site (URL below). There are some basic lessons there on
> reading pattern symbols and seams, plus lots of other information on sewing stuff, including a
> book list. There are a couple of books listed there that will help you with fitting. There's also
> a heap of stuff I've done, and some of that shows pattern alterations. No selling - my site is
> information only.

That's a great site you have Kate. I'm going to see if I can get my hands on some of those books and
do some reading - that's something I have no problem doing!

> Then look up alt.sewing - a lovely news group that will steer you through all these things. You'll
> see several familiar faces!

Heading over there now.... Friendly looking group :)

--
Julie.
93.5/72.3/74 (WW)/72 (Personal) kg
93.5/73./162.8 (WW)/158 (Personal) lb

Here's our FAQ: http://www.didian.com/asdww/ and welcome notice:
http://www.geocities.com/welcomenotice/index.html

Oh yeah, easy was definitely in my plan. I already have a top pattern for something else that's
marked "very easy", so I might start with that. Now to get myself a sewing machine....

--
Julie.
93.5/72.3/74 (WW)/72 (Personal) kg
93.5/73./162.8 (WW)/158 (Personal) lb

Here's our FAQ: http://www.didian.com/asdww/ and welcome notice:
http://www.geocities.com/welcomenotice/index.html

news:[email protected]...

JulieB wrote:

> Oh yeah, easy was definitely in my plan. I already have a top pattern for something else that's
> marked "very easy", so I might start with that. Now to get myself a sewing machine....

Ask Penny S on alt.sewing for the buying a machine FAQ: best advice on the net - bar none! And see
ya over there! Be warned - I'm a lot chattier and more opinionated over there! ;P

Click on Kate's Pages and explore!

Hi, JulieB, In Central New Jersey there are still sewing machine repair places. Most of these offer
used machines at very good prices. If you have never owned a machine before, and money is a
consideration, you might look into this. I think it would be better to get a re-conditioned good
machine in place of a new cheaper made machine.