Motivation: Cruddy weather

TheFunkeyGibbon

Sep 24, 2014
I've just started commuting to work, a reasonable 6 miles each way on average. It's been ok but today the wind was howling, the rain was fierce and... I chickened out and took the car. 😁 I have a waterproof jacket, trousers and shoes, so there isn't much of an excuse. How do you motivate yourself for riding in cruddy weather?

Would you prefer to ride the bike?
smile.png

Put the car keys in a safe, lock up the key to the safe with an adjustable combination lock, set a hard-to-remember combination and write it down on some paper that you will then put in the safe, then close the safe.

I don’t, because I also chicken out during these situations. I feel unsafe when biking during heavy rains and strong winds and feeling that I would get blown away. I don’t usually dare biking in bad weather, may it be commuting or during just a regular bike trip. It is like not going to play outdoor sports on a certain day because it is raining.

Depends. If it's too cold (cold air can cause asthma like conditions that severely restrict your airways with heavy exercise), ice on the roads, heavy downpour or strong storms, then no. Too much danger is involved in those kinds of weather conditions to take the risk. I like not being in the hospital.

Just a few words can motivate me to ride in bad weather. Man up. As hostile as that sounds, it really pumps me up. The cold words resonate in my mind as motivation to be stronger than you are. Always helps me push when I'm on that last mile.

I might be insane but I love riding in the worst of conditions. When it snows, it's a beautiful ride. When it rains, it's actually kind of fun. However, the bitter cold we've had is becoming less challenging & more insanity inducing.

Well, I don't have a car, so unless there is something frozen on the road or its like 15 degrees or something, I just suck it up and go. The alternative is walking, which I do when it snows or happens to be so ridiculously cold I have to have my gloves hands in my pockets to stay warm.

I am a bit of a baby about cycling in bad weather. I have a wide array of waterproof apparel that I can wear, but I just don't feel motivated when it is cold and rainy. I live in Wisconsin so we have beautiful spring, summer and fall seasons, but winter makes it nearly impossible to ride. I am terrified of being mowed down by crazy drivers or hitting a patch of black ice. Sometimes it is better to choose safety over pride. I would rather make it to work and skip my ride then end up in the hospital.

I wouldn't even dare to ride my bike in the snow, but during a light drizzle, I would just pop in my music at low volume and just ride like it was a sunny day. Of course if it was pouring, I would most likely not go at all and chicken out. I don't know many people who prefer to get drenched while biking. Wet socks and shoes are very uncomfortable!