Motivation of RBR Poster's Survey

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Ronde Champ, May 19, 2004.

  1. Ronde Champ

    Ronde Champ Guest

    Motivations of RBR Poster's Survey

    1. Motivation of RBR Poster's Survey

    Motivation of RBR Poster's Survey

    The study in which you are being asked to participate in
    is designed to investigate various reasons why cyclists
    post and participate in cycling newsgroups. This study is
    interested in all types of people who internet bike.
    There are no right or wrong answers to this survey. This
    study is being conducted by Robert LaShoes in the
    Department of Heath Science and Humane Ecology at
    California State Penal University, San Bernardhino
    (CSUSB). The Institutional Review Bored (IRB) at CSUSB
    has reviewed and approved this study.

    Your participation in this study will consist of filling
    out a brief survey online. The survey takes about 109
    minutes to complete. All information will not remain
    completely confidential. This means that identifying
    information will be linked to your responses. We are
    interested in newsgroup data only. This survey is
    involuntary. You do have to participate in this study and
    may not stop at any time. At the end of the survey, you
    will be asked if you would like to submit your responses.
    If you choose not participate in this study, you will be
    penalized in every way.

    In time will the information you provide be linked to
    your personal information. If you have any questions or
    comments on this study, please contact Robert LaShoes at
    [email protected] A copy of findings from this study
    will be available in December 2024 by contacting Robert
    G. LaShoes at [email protected]

    As a way of thanking you for your participation, you will
    be eligible to win a $2500 gift certificate to Excel
    Sport. If you choose to complete the survey, a code
    number will be available. In order to be eligible for the
    drawing, you need to send an email with your email
    address and the code number to [email protected] This
    information will be linked to your survey responses in
    every way. The researcher will contact the winner of the
    drawing via email at the end of the study.

    If you have read and understand the above statements, please
    click on the ‘Continue' button below to indicate your
    consent to participate in this study.

    * 1. I acknowledge that I have read and understand the
    purpose and nature of this study and freely consent to
    participate in the study. I also acknowledge that I am
    at least 11 years of age.

    If you have read and understand the above statements, please
    click the "Continue" button below to indicate your consent
    to participate in this study and then click on "NEXT".

    CONTINUE

    Why do you post/read this newsgroup? How often do you
    post/read this newsgroup?

    Tags:

  2. Steve

    Steve Guest

    BITE ME

    On 5/19/04 9:38 PM, in article
    [email protected], "Ronde
    Champ" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Motivations of RBR Poster's Survey
    >
    > 1. Motivation of RBR Poster's Survey
    >

    > Motivation of RBR Poster's Survey
    >

    > The study in which you are being asked to participate
    > in is designed to investigate various reasons why
    > cyclists post and participate in cycling newsgroups.
    > This study is interested in all types of people who
    > internet bike. There are no right or wrong answers to
    > this survey. This study is being conducted by Robert
    > LaShoes in the Department of Heath Science and Humane
    > Ecology at California State Penal University, San
    > Bernardhino (CSUSB). The Institutional Review Bored
    > (IRB) at CSUSB has reviewed and approved this study.
    >
    > Your participation in this study will consist of
    > filling out a brief survey online. The survey takes
    > about 109 minutes to complete. All information will not
    > remain completely confidential. This means that
    > identifying information will be linked to your
    > This survey is involuntary. You do have to participate
    > in this study and may not stop at any time. At the end
    > of the survey, you will be asked if you would like to
    > submit your responses. If you choose not participate in
    > this study, you will be penalized in every way.
    >
    > In time will the information you provide be linked to
    > your personal information. If you have any questions or
    > comments on this study, please contact Robert LaShoes
    > at [email protected] A copy of findings from this
    > study will be available in December 2024 by contacting
    > Robert G. LaShoes at [email protected]
    >
    > As a way of thanking you for your participation, you
    > will be eligible to win a $2500 gift certificate to
    > Excel Sport. If you choose to complete the survey, a
    > code number will be available. In order to be eligible
    > for the drawing, you need to send an email with your
    > email address and the code number to
    > [email protected] This information will be linked to
    > your survey responses in every way. The researcher will
    > contact the winner of the drawing via email at the end
    > of the study.
    >
    > If you have read and understand the above statements,
    > please click on the Å’Continue' button below to indicate
    > your consent to participate in this study.
    >

    > * 1. I acknowledge that I have read and understand the
    > purpose and nature of this study and freely consent to
    > participate in the study. I also acknowledge that I am
    > at least 11 years of age.
    >
    > If you have read and understand the above statements,
    > please click the "Continue" button below to indicate
    > your consent to participate in this study and then click
    > on "NEXT".
    >

    > CONTINUE
    >

    > Why do you post/read this newsgroup? How often do you
    > post/read this newsgroup?

  3. Sonarrat

    Sonarrat Guest

    in article [email protected], Ronde Champ at

    > Why do you post/read this newsgroup? How often do you
    > post/read this newsgroup?

    1. For the purpose of a little bit of socializing/discussion
    about a topic I have come to feel very enthusiastic about
    in the past two years. I had never really been a sports
    fan before this, but it proved to be just a matter of
    finding "my" sport.

    Why RBR? Having accepted the fact that discussion on the
    Internet produces trolling and flames as a matter of course,
    I have found that I prefer the Usenet style of doing so over
    any other. There's also the fact that it's text only, which
    leaves non-wordsmiths (to be VERY kind) at a distinct
    disadvantage.

    2. I read and post whenever I'm home, usually during
    study/practice breaks.

    -Sonarrat.

  4. Ronde Champ wrote:
    > Motivations of RBR Poster's Survey
    [snip] Geez that was long, what did it say? I don't have the
    attention span for posts that long.

  5. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    Sonarrat <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<BCD18BF8.3533%[email protected]>...
    > in article
    > [email protected], Ronde
    > Champ at [email protected] wrote on 5/19/04 9:38 PM:
    >
    > > Why do you post/read this newsgroup? How often do you
    > > post/read this newsgroup?
    >
    > 1. For the purpose of a little bit of
    > socializing/discussion about a topic I have come to
    > feel very enthusiastic about in the past two years. I
    > had never really been a sports fan before this, but it
    > proved to be just a matter of finding "my" sport.

    Actually there is a whole lot less flaming and trolls on
    this group than in the vast majority of other usenet groups.
    If Trdina, Chang and Albright stay away there are only those
    who are irritated by just one or two others that respond
    poorly. For instance, Greg?

    > Why RBR? Having accepted the fact that discussion on the
    > Internet produces trolling and flames as a matter of
    > course, I have found that I prefer the Usenet style of
    > doing so over any other. There's also the fact that it's
    > text only, which leaves non-wordsmiths (to be VERY kind)
    > at a distinct disadvantage.

    Do you believe that limits the amount of reparte'?

  6. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    Sonarrat <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<BCD18BF8.3533%[email protected]>...
    > in article
    > [email protected], Ronde
    > Champ at [email protected] wrote on 5/19/04 9:38 PM:
    >
    > > Why do you post/read this newsgroup? How often do you
    > > post/read this newsgroup?
    >
    > 1. For the purpose of a little bit of
    > socializing/discussion about a topic I have come to
    > feel very enthusiastic about in the past two years. I
    > had never really been a sports fan before this, but it
    > proved to be just a matter of finding "my" sport.

    Actually there is a whole lot less flaming and trolls on
    this group than in the vast majority of other usenet groups.
    If Trdina, Chang and Albright stay away there are only those
    who are irritated by just one or two others that respond
    poorly. For instance, Greg?

    > Why RBR? Having accepted the fact that discussion on the
    > Internet produces trolling and flames as a matter of
    > course, I have found that I prefer the Usenet style of
    > doing so over any other. There's also the fact that it's
    > text only, which leaves non-wordsmiths (to be VERY kind)
    > at a distinct disadvantage.

    Do you believe that limits the amount of reparte'?

  7. Sonarrat

    Sonarrat Guest

    in article [email protected], Tom Kunich at

    > Sonarrat <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<BCD18BF8.3533%[email protected]>...
    >> in article
    >> [email protected], Ronde
    >> Champ at [email protected] wrote on 5/19/04 9:38 PM:
    >>
    >>> Why do you post/read this newsgroup? How often do you
    >>> post/read this newsgroup?
    >>
    >> 1. For the purpose of a little bit of
    >> socializing/discussion about a topic I have come to
    >> feel very enthusiastic about in the past two years. I
    >> had never really been a sports fan before this, but it
    >> proved to be just a matter of finding "my" sport.
    >
    > Actually there is a whole lot less flaming and trolls on
    > this group than in the vast majority of other usenet
    > groups. If Trdina, Chang and Albright stay away there are
    > only those who are irritated by just one or two others
    > that respond poorly. For instance, Greg?

    That's a conditional statement, and trolls tend to be
    remarkably persistent. But it's balanced out by a good deal
    of genuine insight.

    >> Why RBR? Having accepted the fact that discussion on the
    >> Internet produces trolling and flames as a matter of
    >> course, I have found that I prefer the Usenet style of
    >> doing so over any other. There's also the fact that it's
    >> text only, which leaves non-wordsmiths (to be VERY kind)
    >> at a distinct disadvantage.
    >
    > Do you believe that limits the amount of reparte'?

    In a word, no. People without words also tend to be without
    ideas, although there are certainly people with words who
    have no idea.

    -Sonarrat.