Motivation problems

bulaboy

Jan 5, 2006
I worked hard on the trainer this winter. Took very little time off and rode consistently. I started riding outdoors in the cold and the snow back in January. I was going good in February 'til my knees started getting sore. Tried backing off on the volume and intensity for a while. It was hard to stop completely. I'm an addict after all and hated to think about losing fitness. That wasn't enough so last week I didn't touch the bike at all, so March was pretty much a bust trainingwise. Been riding every other day this week and I think my knee issues are okay now, but man I feel like **** on the bike. I'm slow(er) and I seem to forget how much suffering I was willing to endure when I'm off the bike for a while. I know I've just got to hang in there and rebuild my base, but right now I can't seem to remember what it is about this sport that I like.

Just need to vent. Thanks for listening.

I didn't do the trainer thing over the winter, but I did spend time in spinning classes and ran the resistance high for more of a workout without running so much resistance that I was straining the knees.

Last fall a comfortable ride for me was at 18-19mph on the flats. I'm now comfortable at 25mph on the flats.

During the holidays I didn't get to hit the spinning classes like I had been, and I could notice a decline in my performance after not riding for three weeks.

If I could make a suggestion it would be to just get out and ride. Forget about your average speed, etc. Just enjoy being outside, the scenery, fresh air. You'll come around. I've got the opposite going on. I haven't ridden in over a week. The weather has turned back to winter here with plenty of cold rain. I missed out on a long ride last weekend and I had a small surgical procedure that kept me from exercising for three days. I rode the trainer today and almost passed out after my session. I'm ready to get back out on the road and go. Don't care what my speed or cadence is. Just wanna ride. Know my conditioning will come back in no time.

But vent away. This is as good a place as any to do it.

Watch some youtube videos of people doing what you remember liking best about cycling. That usually gets me in the mood to ride.

I'm going to take your advice doc. Got to learn to smell the roses. I've asked myself this a lot. When will I be good enough to simply go out and ride and enjoy the sport, instead of always pushing myself to get better? Why is it so important to get to the next level, and then the next? There will always be guys who are faster and who can go longer. I've been better for each of the past two years, and as long as I'm having fun I'll keep going out there. And as long as I keep going out there I'll get better. I get a lot of volume so even if all I did was ride LSD and tempo I'd be fine. Been working on an old steel frame bike, getting it set up as a commuter bike. That's a good way to get miles in w/o getting competitive. You see I've got a defective gene. On club rides I can't seem to watch as other riders go up the road. Must learn to be cool, especially while I rehab these knees.

I'd like to suggest something to you doc: Don't call yourself old.

I'm going to you tube now Cone. thanks for the tip

I believe it was Eddie Merckx when asked now to get good on a bike said you need to do 3 things. Ride your bike, ride your bike, ride your bike. At 64 it is what I keep in mind when I feel I need some motivation. Some days are better than others, but they all beat sitting at home.

I have always been very competitive and have done sport all my life. I seemed to dedicate my life into everything i did and get good pretty quick. That all ended when i had an accident and messed my knee up, all i couldn't do any of the things i had done before, it was a bad time for me.
BUT I found cycling!!!! My rehab started on an exercise bike, then spin bike, then outdoors on a mtb, im on a road bike now and love it.
It replaces all the things i cannot do now, i am still very competitive and race everything i see on the way to and from work, it could be a club rider to a milk float to a granny with her wicker basket. It doesn't matter i love the competition. Saying that i am getting on in my years and so cannot compete in races but enjoy the scenery, the fresh air and the exercise.
Enjoy cycling again for what it first was for you.. for me it was a life saver and a route out of my shitty post op existence. Now its a daily enjoyment and one i share with friends at weekends ...
Fantastic.!