Motivation When On Your Period?

Mar 11, 2015
I think most of us have been there at some point, when you are on your period you can not be bothered with anything sometimes, but how do you motivate yourself to get up off your bloated feeling butt and go for a ride?

I just do it. My period doesn't get in the way of my life. Exercise can actually help to reduce cramps so that can be a great source of motivation.

I have always found there is a little tiger inside me when I am on my period, started about the secon cycle of my life. I simply refuse to be a victim of my body and this "I will do it, and I'll work harder and better in spite of it!" just comes out of me. I don't know how to explain that except it's a mindset. I just will NOT let that time of the month slow me down, I will push through anything short of puking or diziness just to prove to myself that I can do it.

I don't ride when I am on my period. It is way to uncomfortable for me and I'm usually in a lot of pain from cramping so I avoid riding if I can.

You just have to do it. Exercise usually makes me feel better when I'm on my period so even if I don't want to, I try to make myself do it. Even if it's just a short ride, that's better than nothing!

StrawberryCat said:
I just do it. My period doesn't get in the way of my life. Exercise can actually help to reduce cramps so that can be a great source of motivation.
True, I had not thought of that I will try it next time I am cramping and see how I fare!

DancingLady said:
I have always found there is a little tiger inside me when I am on my period, started about the secon cycle of my life. I simply refuse to be a victim of my body and this "I will do it, and I'll work harder and better in spite of it!" just comes out of me. I don't know how to explain that except it's a mindset. I just will NOT let that time of the month slow me down, I will push through anything short of puking or diziness just to prove to myself that I can do it.
Wow, vicious! Nice. sounds like you have it covered, I have not got to that stage of being able to beat it yet, although at thirty I really should I suppose!

katherine25 said:
I don't ride when I am on my period. It is way to uncomfortable for me and I'm usually in a lot of pain from cramping so I avoid riding if I can.
I am glad I am not the only one that gets like this, it hurts a lot for some people and those that don't experience it tend to think others are just making a fuss.

Going to the gym is the only thing I do during my period. I can motivate myself to workout so I don't feel guilty for being a total slob. I don't cycle cos I'm too crampy and the thought of being on my bum for an extended period of time seems so uncomfortable.

I always go with the old adage "mind over matter". I don't think about it too much, and yes I do cramp hard; but I don't use it as a way out. I started that when I was younger and it has helped me a lot in my life and cycling is no exception. I definitely take an over the counter pain pill and keep it moving.