Motivation

Liz

Guest
I'm interested in learning of any suggestions on "how-to" motivate myself to begin exercising on a
daily basis. Routinely, I set myself with simple goals, one day a week, then two days a week and so
on. Too often, something will offset my routine and I find myself back where I started. Not
exercising at all. Any suggestions that you think would help get me "motivated" would be greatly
appreciated.

Liz

"Liz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm interested in learning of any suggestions on "how-to" motivate myself to begin exercising on a
> daily basis. Routinely, I set myself with simple goals, one day a week, then two days a week and
> so on. Too often, something will offset my routine and I find myself back where I started. Not
> exercising at all. Any suggestions that you think would help get me "motivated" would be greatly
> appreciated.
>
> Liz

Buy a pedometer and wear it every day. That's all you need to do - the exercising comes naturally as
you find yourself wanting to do a few more steps than you did yesterday.

Good luck!

Helen.

"It's the wrong trousers Gromit! And they've gone wrong!"

I got *highly* motivated to exercise regularly, even at minimal levels at times, when I was
diagnosed with diabetes. I don't want to lose my eyes, feet, or kidneys! (I also made plenty of
dietary adjustments.)

Do you have any health problems, actual or brewing, that could motivate you to lessen or maybe even
prevent them getting worse? bj

"Liz" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I'm interested in learning of any suggestions on "how-to" motivate myself to begin exercising on a
> daily basis. Routinely, I set myself with simple goals, one day a week, then two days a week and
> so on. Too often, something will offset my routine and I find myself back where I started. Not
> exercising at all. Any suggestions that you think would help get me "motivated" would be greatly
> appreciated.
>
> Liz

I'm going through the same trouble.. I was still in school until I recently graduated, and it was
very hard for me to find the time to take my daily walk.. I'd be so busy, and my schedule was so
hectic, that I never was able to stick with a plan.. I had to learn to be more flexible.

Here's what I do. I try to take my walk early in the morning (for two reasons.. to raise my
metabolism for the rest of the day, and to be done with it so I can feel good about myself for the
rest of the day ;) ) but sometimes it doesn't work that way. Sometimes I don't wake up in time..
sometimes I have to go someplace, and I don't have time to take my walk.. So I go later, when I do
have time.

You should analyze your schedule, and identify several times in the day that you could do your daily
exercise. If you miss the first 'occasion', don't feel too bad.. there will be another time during
the day.. just make sure that you end up doing it, and don't postpone it until tomorrow. If you're
more flexible that way, you're more likely to stick with it.

One more thing that helps: if you have a dog or kids, it's wonderful to walk them, and you're doing
it not only for your benefit, but for theirs as well. I have a small Westie. She loves walking, but
she starts dragging behind after a half hour of walk. I need a longer walk, so I go walk for an
hour, briskly.. and then when I come back, I try to take her for a half-hour walk. Sometimes it
doesn't work that way. Sometimes I take her in the morning, and do my longer walk at night,
sometimes I switch, sometimes I only have time to take one of the walks..

One last trick: don't get discouraged because you didn't walk yesterday. Today is a fresh day, and
it's the start of the rest of your life ;) So get out there and enjoy your daily exercise. Soon
enough, the regained energy will motivate you to do it.

Veronique