Motobecane Bikes

Jimmy Cluverius

Guest
Does anyone know anything about Motobecane bikes? Someone told me the name was sold and now the
frames are made cheaply in Taiwan. Is this true? Are the new frames any good? Thanks for any help.

Jimmy C

Jimmy Cluverius <[email protected]> wrote:
> Does anyone know anything about Motobecane bikes? Someone told me the name was sold and now the
> frames are made cheaply in Taiwan. Is this true? Are the new frames any good? Thanks for any help.

That's about right. I think the bikes are made in the PRC. I have no firsthand experience with these
bikes, but the fact they sort of imply a relationship with the classic French Motobecanes (when in
fact there really is none) would raise a red flag for me.

Art Harris

"Jimmy Cluverius" <[email protected]> wrote in news:GWQWb.2918$W74.1242
@newsread1.news.atl.earthlink.net:
> Does anyone know anything about Motobecane bikes? Someone told me the name was sold and now the
> frames are made cheaply in Taiwan. Is this true? Are the new frames any good? Thanks for any help.

Lots of nice bikes are made in Taiwan. If you visit your local bike shop, you'll see some very nice
Taiwan-made bikes selling for over $2000. I haven't seen any of the new Motobecane's, but don't let
the Taiwan label turn you off.

>The old frames were made cheaply in France.

There were expensive all 531 all Campy Motobecanes and cheap Motobecanes. They were a full range
maker. The nice ones are very nice and the cheap ones are just cheap. Phil Brown

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 19:59:34 GMT, "Jimmy Cluverius"
<[email protected]> may have said:

>Does anyone know anything about Motobecane bikes? Someone told me the name was sold and now the
>frames are made cheaply in Taiwan. Is this true? Are the new frames any good? Thanks for any help.

Not Taiwan; they're from China.

The people importing them are apparently in Florida; the domain name registration for their website
comes up there, as does all of the other information I have found. They have no visible connection
with the original owners of the name. From what little I have been told, the bikes are a stock off-the-
shelf design from their actual supplier, and the Motobecane name is simply applied to the bike. They
spec the gear that goes into it to an extent, and some have some decent (but not top-of-the-line)
components, but the bottom line is that today, Motobecane is not a maker, just a name.

it's also possible that I'm busy.

[email protected] (Phil Brown) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> >The old frames were made cheaply in France.
>
> There were expensive all 531 all Campy Motobecanes and cheap Motobecanes. They were a full range
> maker. The nice ones are very nice and the cheap ones are just cheap. Phil Brown

one of my friends has an older motobecane

http://www.plitkorn.com/k/motobecane.jpg

she bought it used for around 100USD equipped with old campy parts. it is labeled "made in france",
although i think it's from the eighties or so.

i gave it a try, but i just didn't like it, my peugeot px-10 of the same era feels much better.

frank www.plitkorn.com