Motobecane Legacy elite

Discussion in 'Bike buying advice' started by Rareearthmetal, Sep 20, 2009.

1. Rareearthmetal

Rareearthmetal New Member

I have fallen in love with a bike but I can't find it anywhere for sale.

here is the link to the bike
    MBUSA Legacy Elite

also, let me know what you think.

I like it because it is steel and its beautiful.

Tags:

2. garage sale GT

garage sale GT New Member

Try bikesdirect.com.

3. Rareearthmetal

Thanks a lot it, but they don't have it.

4. fatandslow

fatandslow New Member

See also the Jamis steel framed bikes.

5. Rareearthmetal

Man I contacted motobecane and it turns out the bike is no longer in production but he said it might be brought back.

So i've been hearing some bad things about motobecane.

6. Bobo 1949

Bobo 1949 New Member

You can't find what you like so now it is a bad brand. Just hold your breath until you turn blue in the face.
    What a dumb comment.:mad:

7. Rareearthmetal

No one said it was a bad brand, I just wanted to lead this thread into something else without having to post a new thread.

You're an instigator.

8. Bobo 1949

Bobo 1949 New Member

So what does "hearing bad things mean" then? If you want to start a new thread, start one. Don't expect people to read your mind.
    And I'm the instigator....!

9. Rareearthmetal

All I'm saying is that you looked into my post way too much for some reason. You needlessly started an argument while all I wanted some verification or advocating on motobecane's bike quality. I wonder how this looks from the outside.

10. Bobo 1949

Bobo 1949 New Member

I too wonder what someone on the "outside" thinks of the following:
    1. I like the bike
    2. I can't get the bike
    3. I've heard bad things about the bike brand (unspecified bad things).

I still think my original comment applies. e.g. hold your breath until you turn blue in the face.

11. Rareearthmetal

Obviously you have something to prove to yourself otherwise you wouldn't have posted an offensive comment over something so frivolous. :D[​IMG]

12. Bobo 1949

Bobo 1949 New Member

What's obvious to you isn't to me. We are back to why complain about something you thought was great, at least until you found out that it was unavailable.
    Say anything you wish - you can't change the history of this thread. You wrote what you wrote - my interpretation was and continues to be reasonable based upon what was written. The fact that you don't like my interpretation or wish you had phrased your comment in some other way does not change what you wrote.

13. Rareearthmetal

There is nothing wrong with my comment. It just came off to you that way for some reason.

Crappy or not I want that bike. I have crappy bike(in most people's eyes) that I love, its just not a geared bike.

While looking around trying to buy the bike a came across threads saying things like Motobecane was a french bike manuf. which sold out to some taiwanese company, keeping the name.

Others said the company now has weak welds. I was just wondering if that was true.

What do you ride?

14. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

Wow this party got goin' quickly. Iffin' you want to find the bike, cozy up to Google. Search for the bike name AND cost or price. One will turn up.

15. Bobo 1949

Bobo 1949 New Member

I ride a Bottecchia CF 66 Pro. Click Where was my bike made? - allanti.com for a discussion on where bikes are made. I didn't write this but whoever did knows the bike business. You will see most bicycles are made in Taiwan or China, without regard to brand name. Motobecane hasn't been made in Europe for years. The brand itself is no better or worse than its competitors.

16. Rareearthmetal

Hmm. I think I might see why you took my post so personal.

17. Rareearthmetal

I've searched everywhere I could, bikesdirect, yahoo, google, ebay, craigslist, kijii. Nowhere to bee seen.

18. alienator

Did you call any of their dealers? You might try that to see if someone's got it as NOS. Outside of that, you just might be SOL. That bike isn't the only steel fish in the sea, though. Frankly, I'd scour eBay for deals on steel bikes. There are usually quite few stunning deals on great bikes...Colnago Masters.....steel Pinarellos.....DeRosas.....That's where I sold my custom Waterford Paramount OS.

Motobecane makes decent bikes. They hold up. The owners seem to like them. They're supposed to perform very well, a lot better than you'd expect at their pricepoint.

19. Rareearthmetal

I'm honestly going to look at those. The thing is that I'm picky about aesthetics. I love the vintage look like the dolomiti from bianchi but it is out of my price range a 3000 plus.

20. alienator

Well, the looks of the three brands I gave you pretty much define "classic." You could also look for older Paramounts. Also, Cervelo made a Prodigy and Super Prodigy that looked very classic and were stellar bikes. I see them on eBay, too. You can look for Le Monds and Serottas, Masi, Olmo, Tommasini, Raleigh, Billati, Merckx.....I'm forgetting a lot of brands.