Motobecane Nemesis Pro

JetBoat

Jul 4, 2007
Not alot of info out there @ Motobecane, so I thought I'd add my opinion. Just got my 2008 Motobecane Nemesis Pro from Bikesdirect.com. (Sprtymama had one for a while $10 cheaper, but must have sold them all). I ordered it on Monday and it was delivered on Friday. Everything is exactly as discribed on the website and is absolutely beautiful! Although it was a little weird ordering it online from a place with no telephone number (email only), they were responsive to my questions...no problems at all. I was able to track it online through UPS.
I had a local bike shop put it together ($50), there's no way I could have done it.
Again, the bike is georgous! Dura-Ace Deraillers/shifters, Carbon Crank & Fork, Ritchey Pro cow bar and aero bars...for $1,195. I got some feedback from other riders and a bike shop before I bought it...they said that even if I didnt like the frame, I could change it out and still be ahead on the components. I think the frame is great; its full aero and even has that cool cut out at the rear wheel....of course its not carbon, but the whole bike weighs 19.6 lbs completely assembled w/ pedals. This is my first tri-bike. I've only ridden it twice and its very fast and repsonsive. Riding with aero bars takes a little getting used to, but, its very comfortable.
Saw some stuff online about whether to get Motobecane or Trek (or other widely carried brand)...I just went with the fact that the components are very common and the bike could be worked on by anyone.
I am glad I bought it...not one complaint...definately recommend Motobecane.

Although, wish I could find some Motobecane gear (jersey, hat, etc).

Glad to hear it's working for you. I've had my Nemesis (nonpro) for a couple of weeks, basically the same bike as yours minus a few parts upgrades and I'm also pleased with it.

The only problem I had was it takes a lot longer to put together (plus the manual is mostly junk, though it does include all of the shimano factory manuals for the derailleurs) than they say, but it was a good learning lesson getting it all sorted out, and as you did it can be brought to a bike shop and is still TONS cheaper than any other competitor.

In the 54cm version, mine is 20 lbs exactly.

Oh, the only OTHER problem I had was the ritchey pro seatpost, whcih is nice, was only a 250. I really need at my height (5,11) a 270-280 or bigger, so I bought a cannondale competition aluminum post for $29 shipped on ebay. The benefit of that post (350) is also that it has very little rear offset, so it lets me get even further forward for a more aggressive seat angle. So, total cost for me was $1016 with that seatpost for a bike with 1520 gram wheels, tri geometry and ultegra 10 speed across the board (except for DA bar-ends)

But yeah, the bike feels nice and solid.

FYI, the frame is the same as the 06 fuji 1.0/07 Fuji 2.0 (1.0 is better, but this year for the lower 2.0 they used last year's 1.0 frame as an upgrade).

I recently bought a Motobecane Century Pro, and a friend has the Century Elite. Perhaps we can get enough interest to persuade Motobecane/BikesDirect/Spectrum/sprtymama to reprint a classic Motobecane short sleeve jersey, with pockets. They sell enough bikes! It shouldn't be hard to persuade them to market a jersey, especially if we send E-mail. I have addresses for both sprtymama and bikesdirect.
Any interest?
Thanks,
Denny Crane

Skoorb said:
Glad to hear it's working for you. I've had my Nemesis (nonpro) for a couple of weeks, basically the same bike as yours minus a few parts upgrades and I'm also pleased with it.

The only problem I had was it takes a lot longer to put together (plus the manual is mostly junk, though it does include all of the shimano factory manuals for the derailleurs) than they say, but it was a good learning lesson getting it all sorted out, and as you did it can be brought to a bike shop and is still TONS cheaper than any other competitor.

In the 54cm version, mine is 20 lbs exactly.

Oh, the only OTHER problem I had was the ritchey pro seatpost, whcih is nice, was only a 250. I really need at my height (5,11) a 270-280 or bigger, so I bought a cannondale competition aluminum post for $29 shipped on ebay. The benefit of that post (350) is also that it has very little rear offset, so it lets me get even further forward for a more aggressive seat angle. So, total cost for me was $1016 with that seatpost for a bike with 1520 gram wheels, tri geometry and ultegra 10 speed across the board (except for DA bar-ends)

But yeah, the bike feels nice and solid.

FYI, the frame is the same as the 06 fuji 1.0/07 Fuji 2.0 (1.0 is better, but this year for the lower 2.0 they used last year's 1.0 frame as an upgrade).

I recently bought a Motobecane Century Pro, and a friend has the Century Elite. Perhaps we can get enough interest to persuade Motobecane/BikesDirect/Spectrum/sprtymama to reprint a classic Motobecane short sleeve jersey, with pockets. They sell enough bikes! It shouldn't be hard to persuade them to market a jersey, especially if we send E-mail. I have addresses for both sprtymama and bikesdirect.
Any interest?
Thanks,
Denny Crane

JetBoat said:
Not alot of info out there @ Motobecane, so I thought I'd add my opinion. Just got my 2008 Motobecane Nemesis Pro from Bikesdirect.com. (Sprtymama had one for a while $10 cheaper, but must have sold them all). I ordered it on Monday and it was delivered on Friday. Everything is exactly as discribed on the website and is absolutely beautiful! Although it was a little weird ordering it online from a place with no telephone number (email only), they were responsive to my questions...no problems at all. I was able to track it online through UPS.
I had a local bike shop put it together ($50), there's no way I could have done it.
Again, the bike is georgous! Dura-Ace Deraillers/shifters, Carbon Crank & Fork, Ritchey Pro cow bar and aero bars...for $1,195. I got some feedback from other riders and a bike shop before I bought it...they said that even if I didnt like the frame, I could change it out and still be ahead on the components. I think the frame is great; its full aero and even has that cool cut out at the rear wheel....of course its not carbon, but the whole bike weighs 19.6 lbs completely assembled w/ pedals. This is my first tri-bike. I've only ridden it twice and its very fast and repsonsive. Riding with aero bars takes a little getting used to, but, its very comfortable.
Saw some stuff online about whether to get Motobecane or Trek (or other widely carried brand)...I just went with the fact that the components are very common and the bike could be worked on by anyone.
I am glad I bought it...not one complaint...definately recommend Motobecane.

Although, wish I could find some Motobecane gear (jersey, hat, etc).

I just received my Motobecane Jersey, by Priority Mail. Shipping was prompt and the jersey is very nice. The fabric is heavy enough for year round use here in So Cal, albeit with an outer layer for some of the winter rides. The graphics are good and the zipper pocket in back is a nice addition. If I didn't already own 4 other nice jerseys I would buy several of these at $35 including shipping.

My only complaint: I was the guy who started the threads re jerseys, and I was the guy who contacted them and suggested jerseys. I would have thought they would let me know when jerseys became available.

Incidentally, I now own two Motobecane bikes, a Century Pro and a Le Champion Titanium. (Purists - Save yourself a flame; I know that these aren't French bikes from the 1970's. I own a 1976 Gitane Gran Sport, which I use as a trainer). http://www.cyclingforums.com/images/smilies/cool.gif

I am receiving my Motobecane Nemesis Pro on 10/06 and cannot wait. Can you tell me where you got your Motobecane jersey from?

There is a fellow rider that has them being made (I think) and those are Red and Black like the bike and beautifully done.

ClintUS

Oops. I suppose it would have helped if I had mentioned that the jerseys are available from Bikes Direct, www.bikesdirect.com

Originally Posted by Denny Crane .

Incidentally, I now own two Motobecane bikes, a Century Pro and a Le Champion Titanium. (Purists - Save yourself a flame; I know that these aren't French bikes from the 1970's. I own a 1976 Gitane Gran Sport, which I use as a trainer). http://www.cyclingforums.com/images/smilies/cool.gif
Which Le Champion TI did you get? there appears to be 4 different Le Champion's. I had my eye on the Le Champion Team TI and was wondering what your impressions of the bike has been so far, and how far have you ridden it to date. I was also looking at Habanero's and Lynskey Cooper, but either one of those by the time you equip them with Dura Ace would easily exceed $1,000 more then the Motobecane; and the Motobecane has a lifetime warranty compared to only 5 years for the others, but that shouldn't even become an issue with ti. Did you look at others? and if so why did you chose the Motobecane?

I got the version that was $1,695 a year or two ago. All Ultegra, except the brakes. I have made some changes to the bike, including carbon ergo handlebars, Ultegra brakes, carbon seatpost, and a change to an XT rear derailleur and an 11-32 cassette. I ride a lot in the foothills north and east of Los Angeles, and I am not inclined to climb 9% grades in a 27 tooth gear. Maybe if I was 30, but I'm 60.
I only get to ride on weekends, (and some Fridays, thanks to Gov. Arnold who furloughed State employees), so my total mileage on the Ti bike is probably under a thousand, but I am very happy with the bike. I have done a lot of rides 25-40 miles, and a few longer. I rode from Tujunga to Castaic a few weeks ago, a 55 mile trip, with 3,400 feet of climbing. I find that I am getting stronger, which may be from riding a compact instead of a triple. Or just from practice. I really like the Ti bike, and ride it more often than my Century Pro carbon bike.

Thanks for the response Denny. I too use to live near LA in the foothills called La Cresenta and took regular trips up the 2 (Angeles Crest hwy) and rode all over those roads up through there. My favorite trip I did once a year in that area was going up the 2 to past Wrightwood to 138 N towards Little Rock to Angeles Forest hwy back to La Cresenta...a roughly 140 mile 13 hour trip if I remember, but that was back 30 years or so ago. Now that I live in Fort Wayne IN I lost my mountain legs! Of course being 30 years older doesn't help either!

I'm seriously considering that Motobecane Le Champion Team TI with all Dura Ace, and after pricing Habanaro and the Lynskey I just couldn't bring myself to spend at least another $1,000 and still get lessor grade components then the Motobecane. I'll be watching Bikes Direct every week now and as soon as it goes on a sale price I'll snag one. I read other reviews about the Motobecane ti series of bikes and haven't read one complaint that I thought was worth noting, but I wanted a first hand impression of one. If you can think of anything else about it let me know; so thanks again.

Received my Nemesis Pro and had it assembled at Bent's Cycle in Lakeland, FL. These people are great and take their time to discuss and work. I have riden it 2x and had nice results for speed so far. Handled nicely as well. Although I hear a bearing whirl from the front tire and will look into it before my next ride.

Delivery was quick from Bikes Direct and even Mike Spratt (Owner of Motobecane USA) emailed a few times. I was working on installing the new bike computer in my living room and after I was finished, I thought the front tire was a little low and pumped it to 110PSI. At 6am this morning my wife woke me up and said she heard a loud sound from the living room. So glock in hand I looked and found nothing. I went to move the bike to the garage and there it was the loud sound was the tire bursting.

I am a novice at cycling at this level and started it to loose weight and get my cardio up. It is working so far as I have lost 29 pounds and a few inches. I have a long way to go and will continue to loose weight until I reach my NAVY weight of 219. (330 now)

Thanks to all for letting me be a member of this web community. I do enjoy it.

Ride well all
Clint

Yes, I have one more thing to add. A very experienced cyclist looked at the bike recently and admired the welds. The factory does a very nice job working with the titanium tubes. It should be a fabulous bike with all Dura-Ace.

I have ridden up the 2 (Angeles Crest Highway) to Mt. Wilson, last year before the Station Fire. The 2 is closed now. I did that ride on my Century Pro, with a triple chainring and 11-32T rear sprocket. I had quadriceps cramps for several hours afterward.

Attachments

• IMG_0953 small.jpg
    IMG_0953 small.jpg
    6.9 MB · Views: 26