Motobecane Nemesis

cornerof

Jun 4, 2006
I am just getting into triathlons and was looking for a bike to buy. I came acrossed the Motobecane Nemesis. I was wondering if anyone has owned one of these or heard anything positive or negative about them. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

cornerof said:
I am just getting into triathlons and was looking for a bike to buy. I came acrossed the Motobecane Nemesis. I was wondering if anyone has owned one of these or heard anything positive or negative about them. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Yes, I own one. I like the colors, red/black/white. I assume you are looking at Bikes Direct. They are as advertised. Quick shipping, easy transaction. The bike required about 90 mins assembly - the handle bars/brakes required some thought.

As for the bike - it is very stiff, but really fast. The componenets, obviously, are top shelf. Shifts and brakes perfectly. I find 35 miles the farthest I can cover comfortably. Most time trial bikes are very much more extreme - the nemesis is more like a road bike with aero bars and a different seat post angle. But for $1000, it is a ****-hot ride:D. I will be hammering mine tomorrow evening with 10 or so other time trial/triathletes and it will be fine.

I would really like to hear some feedback on this bike. I have been looking hard at this bike and I have heard really good things about it and some bad. It seemed like the bad were just people saying "it sucks" without any imput. I can't put much behind an opinion without a reason.

I am looking at bikes up to $1250 like the Giant TCR2 and Cannondale R700. I am also looking at the Felt F80, Specialized Allez Elite (t), Giant OCR1 and Trek 1500 and Trek Pilot 1.2.

I don't think that any of these bikes can match the components of the Moto "Nemesis". However, I called two local shops and they bashed the bike. Can somone please tell me why these other bikes with lesser components are so much better?

Thanks

[q]I don't think that any of these bikes can match the components of the Moto "Nemesis". However, I called two local shops and they bashed the bike.[/q]Of course they did, because they know that anybody seriously considering the Nemesis will not spend $500 more on an inferior bike in their store, so it threatens their ability to sell bikes. They will probably insult things like frame (which appears the same as in the fuji aloha line) and construction (whatever that means; it's almost entirely good brand parts).

I just ordered mine this week. It'll show up tomorrow and I'll give it a go.

come back three months from now and tell us how it holds up. something tells me it's another shill post. we'll see.

doctortalk121 said:
come back three months from now and tell us how it holds up. something tells me it's another shill post. we'll see.
Shill post...?

Mine came last night. I can confirm it really appears to be the same frame as the Fuji 2.0, at least from pics comparison :)

I plan on putting up a lengthier post with pics and experiences (such as it not acutally being 90% constructed, unless it takes 20+ hours to put a bike together! Nothing a few hours and beer hasn't solved, though :)).

i'd buy one of their mtb's if they could tell me how much one weighs accembled, guess that's a secret.

doctortalk121 said:
i'd buy one of their mtb's if they could tell me how much one weighs accembled, guess that's a secret.
Yeah it would be nice if they did that for more than just a few bikes.

BTW, my nemesis is now totally assembled. It's 19.8 lbs in the 54 cm size.

I have ridden a Motobecane Record for the past few months, and I have an opinion on the company. You get exactly what you pay for: a sturdy frame that won't turn any heads equipped with a good group and dirt cheap everything else. I am not too disappointed in my purchase, after all my bike was only 550 dollars after shipping, but I have since matched the initial cost in borderline necessary upgrades (among my biggest beefs would be the handlebars which slip out of place no matter how hard you tighten the screws on the stem, or the ugly, and just generally bad quality wheelset.) Honestly, Motobecane is great if you're just looking for an inexpensive and humble bike for exercise, mine serves me well, but if you want something flashy, or a solid performer for racing, either go name brand or upgrade the hell out of your Motobecane.

jonathandanger said:
I have ridden a Motobecane Record for the past few months, and I have an opinion on the company. You get exactly what you pay for: a sturdy frame that won't turn any heads equipped with a good group and dirt cheap everything else. I am not too disappointed in my purchase, after all my bike was only 550 dollars after shipping, but I have since matched the initial cost in borderline necessary upgrades (among my biggest beefs would be the handlebars which slip out of place no matter how hard you tighten the screws on the stem, or the ugly, and just generally bad quality wheelset.) Honestly, Motobecane is great if you're just looking for an inexpensive and humble bike for exercise, mine serves me well, but if you want something flashy, or a solid performer for racing, either go name brand or upgrade the hell out of your Motobecane.
I think the problem you had, though, is a result more of the cost than the brand. A $650 bike in a bike store will be the same way: reasonably good, but heavy wheel set, sora or tiagra if lucky.

Certainly if the peak of performance is desired, nothing by Motobecane will suffice. They have no competitor to the Madone or a cervelo time trial bike.

Skoorb said:
I think the problem you had, though, is a result more of the cost than the brand. A $650 bike in a bike store will be the same way: reasonably good, but heavy wheel set, sora or tiagra if lucky.

Certainly if the peak of performance is desired, nothing by Motobecane will suffice. They have no competitor to the Madone or a cervelo time trial bike.
Agreed. Their job is to sell discount bikes. They do that by importing frames from Taiwan and China (Thank you, Wikipedia), and cutting corners with things like wheelsets that puncture my innertubes 3 times in one week, or handlebars that rotate to an uncomfortable position after 30 miles on the saddle. I can say one thing, now that I replaced all that jazz with good parts, I am seriously considering buying the Immortal Spirit Frame. It looks pretty much dead on exactly like the old Trek 5000/5200 frame and for a fraction of the price. I guess buying a frame assembled in America by overpaid mechanics with benifits (the whole reason Trek bikes are so expensive in the first place) isn't all that important to me.

and cutting corners with things like wheelsets that puncture my innertubes 3 times in one week, or handlebars that rotate to an uncomfortable position after 30 miles on the saddle.
I really think that's a result of the price-point of the bike you have, though. The nemesis, for instance, has all quality brand parts. You'll find a Ritchey Stem and handlebar on plenty of other bikes, and the Xero XR1 wheels are the same as on the $1800 Fujia Aloha 1.0.

Motobecane may not be that much of a price savings on low end bikes vs low-end local store, and they are not competitor to a local store's $7k offering, but I think the $1-3k price range, their bikes will consistently offer better value.

I finally got the Nemesis out last night for its first ride after all the adjustments and am happy with it. It feels pretty quick, though I was on a slow bike before :)

jonathandanger said:
Yeah, you're probably right, I'm just a little bitter about my Motobecane...
Hopefully I'm right :) Good luck on whatever bike you get next!

sfactual said:
Yes, I own one. I like the colors, red/black/white. I assume you are looking at Bikes Direct. They are as advertised. Quick shipping, easy transaction. The bike required about 90 mins assembly - the handle bars/brakes required some thought.

As for the bike - it is very stiff, but really fast. The componenets, obviously, are top shelf. Shifts and brakes perfectly. I find 35 miles the farthest I can cover comfortably. Most time trial bikes are very much more extreme - the nemesis is more like a road bike with aero bars and a different seat post angle. But for $1000, it is a ****-hot ride:D. I will be hammering mine tomorrow evening with 10 or so other time trial/triathletes and it will be fine.

I bought one earlier this year and I have to agree with most of this post. It's a great value. Shipping was quick, but there are a couple of things to be wary of. First, don't use the size chart listed in the ad. I think it's not accurate. My suggestion is to look for a bike with similar geometry and ride that. Then buy your Motobecane based on the size of the bike you are riding. I bought a 52cm instead of the 54, which is what I ride on my road bike. Assembly takes more time than advertised unless you are skilled with tools, which I am not. On the whole, it's a great bike and I'm very happy with mine.

Best, Keefe.

I'm looking at ordering one of these bikes, probably a 54. I'm just under 5'8", and was wondering if that compares to anyone here who has a 54 Nemesis...

Cheers,
Bill

I'm looking at picking up a 54 Nemesis. I'm just under 5'8" and would appreciate any comments about your relative height/success with sizing to the Nemesis.

I ran a sizing guide that suggested a top-tube length between 52-54.5, and I saw online that the Nemesis supposedly has a top-tube of about 54.

Looking forward to your comments.

Cheers,
Bill

I'm pretty sure you can pick between several sizes when you order the Nemesis. 54cm would probably be fine for you as long as you have proportional legs to your height. As in, if you have short legs for a person your height, it would be better to size down a little. However, the size you pick will affect your position a lot. For instance, if you opt for a 52cm frame and swap to a longer stem as well as raising the saddle, you can have the same distance from bars to seat as a larger frame size, but with lower bars and, as a result, a more aerodynamic position (and a cooler looking bike, in my opinion). An aggressive fit like that won't be comfortable, though, so you should go to your LBS and try out some standard-geometry bikes to see what you like. I am about 5 foot 7, I ride a 52cm Record, and I could easily see myself riding a 50cm bike, so you might be surprised...

Re sizing I have a 54 and I'm 5,11. I don't know if I'm evenly proportioned (probably? :)). I would definitely not have gone with the 56. I imagine in fact I could do with a 52, even though I think most shops would give me a 54-56 size for my height but I find that the more forward I can get, the better it feels. I would almost consider erring on the side of small between a 52 and 54 if you're unsure because you can extend things as you like, whereas shrinking down a smaller frame will hit a critical limit point. I'd hate to advise either way, though, I honestly can't remember exactly how I finalized the 54 size.

I will add that you almost certainly will need a longer seat stem. The one that comes with it (250mm) might work if your frame is fairly big but with my height and a 54, for instance, it was definitely not long enough so I bought an aluminum 27 seatpost on ebay for $25 or something like that. I like the one that comes with the bike--it's just too short. The one I bought online even let me set the seat further forward though, I have a super forward position now!

piratbiker said:
I'm looking at picking up a 54 Nemesis. I'm just under 5'8" and would appreciate any comments about your relative height/success with sizing to the Nemesis.

I ran a sizing guide that suggested a top-tube length between 52-54.5, and I saw online that the Nemesis supposedly has a top-tube of about 54.

Looking forward to your comments.

Cheers,
Bill
Sizing for tri bikes on the internet is a little tricky. I'm also 5 ' 8'' and was trying to decide between a 52 and 54 cm size. I test rode a bike of similar geometry in a size 54 and found it a little large. Complicating matters is the fact that I have unusual body proportions: my legs are long and my torso is short for someone my size. A size 54 bike has a longer top tube which stretches me out too far. I went with the 52 cm and raised the seat up a bit to allow for my longer legs. You may be completely different, so I am reluctant to give any real advice. After several months of riding, I took it into a tri bike store and got a proper fitting. They switched out the seat post and put in a forward pointing seatpost, which shortened the distance to the handlebars and steepened the angle from 76 to 79 in my case. If the size is close ( and I don't think 52 or 54 is too far apart in your case), then there are a lot of adjustments a good bike fitter can make to get you set up right. It takes awhile to get comfortable on the tri bike, but a proper fit will help a lot.....
Good luck,
Keefe.