Motobecane too good to be true?

Skoorb

Jan 9, 2007
Looking for a tri bike in the sub $1k range. I see that on bikesdirect.com the Motobecane Nemesis is available with ultegra and a sprinkling of dura-ace for $995 shipped. It seems to have other good parts, too. One review I saw mentioned it's basically the same as the Fuji Aloha, which is about $1800, and looking on fujibikes.com, its parts do seem to match up (frame is diff, though).

I have not heard of problems with bikesdirect.com, but assuming I get the right size (I'll go local after for a bike fitting), is there anything I need to be wary of?

The frame looks like it is a road frame with tri parts put on it, but then I do not have an eye for these things, so that is probably made-up.

I have tried Ebay, BTW, but pickings are pretty slim at the moment.

Skoorb said:
Looking for a tri bike in the sub $1k range. I see that on bikesdirect.com the Motobecane Nemesis is available with ultegra and a sprinkling of dura-ace for $995 shipped. It seems to have other good parts, too. One review I saw mentioned it's basically the same as the Fuji Aloha, which is about $1800, and looking on fujibikes.com, its parts do seem to match up (frame is diff, though).

I have not heard of problems with bikesdirect.com, but assuming I get the right size (I'll go local after for a bike fitting), is there anything I need to be wary of?

The frame looks like it is a road frame with tri parts put on it, but then I do not have an eye for these things, so that is probably made-up.

I have tried Ebay, BTW, but pickings are pretty slim at the moment.
At that price, as long as things like Stem length, Seat post diameter, Wheels are what you want, you can afford to throw away the frame (not really of course) as you await your dream frame to show up on ebay or wherever and then put all the components on the new frame. If you add up the "grouppo" part by part you will see that at $995 for the Motobecane bicycle that its a savings of over 50% maybe even 70% of buying the parts piece by piece.

actually-Ive looked at it-if a $1000 is what you have-then it wont get any better than this, not even used on e-bay. I'd get it before they are gone because you could part it out and make a small profit-thats how cheap it is and all parts are standard popular sizes (like 27.2 seatpost, 1/1/8 headset, 10 speed Dura-ace shifters and fr., rr der.).

rayhuang said:
At that price, as long as things like Stem length, Seat post diameter, Wheels are what you want, you can afford to throw away the frame (not really of course) as you await your dream frame to show up on ebay or wherever and then put all the components on the new frame. If you add up the "grouppo" part by part you will see that at $995 for the Motobecane bicycle that its a savings of over 50% maybe even 70% of buying the parts piece by piece.

actually-Ive looked at it-if a $1000 is what you have-then it wont get any better than this, not even used on e-bay. I'd get it before they are gone because you could part it out and make a small profit-thats how cheap it is and all parts are standard popular sizes (like 27.2 seatpost, 1/1/8 headset, 10 speed Dura-ace shifters and fr., rr der.).
Thanks! I have noticed this, too. They are a legitimate company, but if what they are saying about their $1800-1900 top end road bike is true (that the parts are close to $4k alone, and I think they are because I priced a few out--they'd be at least $3k retail), I have no idea how they can sell for so cheap. Surely the markup on parts isn't this gargantuan at cycling stores? On the other hand, they're obviously not ambushing and robbing trucks as they leave the factory at Shimano. I don't get it ;)

YOu will find that TT is about power and position. as long as you buy the correct size and find a knowledgeable local Triathlon fit person, you should be almost as fast on it as a $2500 bike. I didnt see anything about seat angle, but as long as you can do anywhere form 74 to 76 degrees you should eb abel to get that low TT position..

Remember though that a brand new Cervelo Dual is only $1400.00 at the LBS, full warranty and local suppport, but they are hard to find at this part of the year (most small sizes sold out already). Maybe not quite as well equipped as this MB, but a little more aero frame. Its up to you if you can pony up another $400.00 or so.

rayhuang said:
YOu will find that TT is about power and position. as long as you buy the correct size and find a knowledgeable local Triathlon fit person, you should be almost as fast on it as a $2500 bike. I didnt see anything about seat angle, but as long as you can do anywhere form 74 to 76 degrees you should eb abel to get that low TT position..

Remember though that a brand new Cervelo Dual is only $1400.00 at the LBS, full warranty and local suppport, but they are hard to find at this part of the year (most small sizes sold out already). Maybe not quite as well equipped as this MB, but a little more aero frame. Its up to you if you can pony up another $400.00 or so.
I estimate this thing's frame at 76 degrees. It's actually either the Fuji Aloha 1.0 or 2.0 frame--2.0 in the pic, it seems, but description matches with 1.0.

You're right, I've scoured local stores and best bike I can find is an 05 Felt S32 for $1150, but it's got a 9 speed 105/ultegra combo. If I don't bid on an 06 F32 about to expire on Ebay this evening, I'll likely go with the nemesis. Thanks!