Motobecane Vent Noir

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by 99m6z28, Dec 8, 2007.

1. 99m6z28

99m6z28 New Member

I think my wife is going to buy me a new bike for christmas since I have been riding quite a bit these days. I currently ride a cheap walmart road bike but it has never let me down. She has pretty much told me about 800.00 is my limit for one and I have been looking at the Motobecane Vent Noir from bikesdirect.com. It seems to be a good deal but since I am some what new to this road bike thing I need some input if anyone has any experience with this bike. Here is a like to it: http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/ventnoir.htm

Pleas give me some feedback on this bike! I really need to know what experienced riders think of its components for the price!

Thanks, Brent

Tags:

2. kdelong

kdelong Well-Known Member

If you are riding for pleasure and not competing, it is a fine bicycle. The components are low entry level but are more than adequate for a pleasure rider. If it were me, I would upgrade the tires just because I am not really fond of Kenda tires. Everything else would only get upgraded as they wore out, which will take many thousands of miles if you take care of it.

Hold back a little for cycling shoes if you don't already own a pair. You'll need them to go with the clipless pedals. Also, don't forget a helmet, cycle computer, hydration system (water bottles or camelback), and a seat bag with your flat tire fixing gear. You might also want to hold a little back for a different seat if the original isn't comfortable, and a pair of riding gloves so your hands don't get torn up as you are getting used to the clipless pedals:) .

3. 99m6z28

99m6z28 New Member

Thanks for the info! I am moreof a pleasure rider and I mainly ride for fitness. NO COMPETITION!! I already have gloves, helmet, cycle computer, camelback, and a Selle Italia saddle from my other bike. I upgraded the saddle on my cheap bike! Also, I am going to get shoes but I am waiting to get the bike first so I get the correct ones. I just upgraded the tires on my current bike to Vittora Rubino Slick about a month ago So if I don't like the Kenda tires I can always change them out. Thanks again for the info! Anything else is appreciated!

4. LeakyDuck

LeakyDuck New Member

Do your self a favor and drive down to Austin and go check out Easy Street Recumbents.

http://www.easystreetrecumbents.com/bikes.html#ez1

Given what you have discribed in your riding you just might like a recumbent. Don't knock them till you try one. The link I posted is for their Sun line. They are really well made, I have 2 Suns and like them both. You will note that you can get the EZ-1 for well within your budget.

5. 99m6z28

99m6z28 New Member

I am not really into recumbants. I perfer the feel of a road bike! I like to go fast and go on long (30 mile +) rides. Thanks for your comment though!

6. LeakyDuck

LeakyDuck New Member

#1 - Have you ever tried a Recumbent?

#2 - I'm old and a bit over weight & I can hit 20 mph on the flat with ease. The speed record on a bicycle is held by a recumbent @ 80 mph (fully faired of course)

#3 - Long rides are where you will really appreciate the comfort of a recumbent.

If you haven't tried one - don't knock it. Drive down to Austin and give one a spin. Your riding buddies might make fun of you at the end of the ride. They can't during the ride unless you slow down for them.

7. david462

david462 New Member

recumbents are good for 80 year old women. we sell a few at dicks sporting goods and those are the only people that buy them. they are so lame. a recumbent is never going to be more comfortable than a properly fitted bicycle. not to mention the boring factor with recumbents.

8. LeakyDuck

LeakyDuck New Member

Again I say - don't knock it till you try it. Have you ever taken one for a really long ride?

9. david462

david462 New Member

no, couldnt get past the 30 minutes of unbearable uncomfort in the ass and back area. if the comfort didnt stop me, the unchanging view did.

10. wiredued

wiredued New Member

It's funny I was looking at that same bike and talking to my wife about it a couple weeks ago. I bought a bike from bikes direct two years ago it was a good deal but I did have to fix a double threaded rear derailer and straighten the hanger. The components on this one are better than the Sora components on mine and the wheels are lighter than my 36 spokers. I hope it works out for you keep us posted.

11. 99m6z28

99m6z28 New Member

I still am not sure that I will get it but I will keep you posted! Seems like it would be a really good beginner bike but I really havent heard much about Motobecane.

12. kdelong

Motobecane used to be a great French bike manufactuer but finally went bankrupt in the 1980's. Up until that time they were a standard on the European racing circuits.

What you are looking at is a product of Motobecane USA which imports frames made in Tiawan and China under the old Motobecane trademark. Unfortunately it is not the same company as the original, but what you will be getting is a good quality, affordable entry level bike.

13. 99m6z28

99m6z28 New Member

It looks like she is going to buy it for me so I will let everyone know how it is

14. chris@polar

[email protected] New Member

They do make quality bikes. Thats a great XMAS gift:)

Have fun with your new ride.

On a side note: Why was a recumbent even mentioned in this post? His question in no way,shape or form asked for anything other than a personal opinion of 1 particular bike. And to borderline hijack his thread? Come on....:rolleyes:

15. David Thomas

David Thomas New Member

Motobecane bikes are alright...got my wife a cyclocross bike from them (bikesdirect) and there is no way I could have sourced all the components and a frame for much cheaper than their price. It needed a tune up but otherwise it rides fine.

You may want to check to see if any local builders have cheap bikes, or check Nashbar's generic selection as well...that is the only competition I can think of unless you want to go used. I've had pretty good experiences buying used.

Best

16. greyg8r

greyg8r New Member

I say go for it! Components are decent; frame is decent; Motobecane has been around since the dawn of time and it will be orders of magnitude better than your Wal-mart bike!

17. oldbobcat

oldbobcat Well-Known Member

Saw more than a few alloy-framed Motobecanes at the Colorado state cyclocross championships two weekends ago. Enjoy your Motobecane and be grateful for a wife who understands your passions.

18. 99m6z28

99m6z28 New Member

Ok so we just ordered it tonight and it says on the site that it will be here in 3 to 5 days. I am very excited and cant wait to get on it and see how it rides! Maybe now I wont have a bike that I am constantly fighting!

19. kdelong

Let us know how you like it, and if you can, post a photo:)!

20. 99m6z28

99m6z28 New Member

I sure will do that as soon as I get it