motor oil and disk brake pads

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Grippedclimer, Apr 6, 2003.

  1. Hi, recently had an epic here at the house where my soon to be x-wife went ballistic. In the end,
    all my clothes were slashed and covered in motor oil; all of my climbing gear was soaked in motor
    oil, and my new GT XC bike (my baby) I just built had slashed tires and covered in motor oil. I
    cleaned as best I could. I went for a ride today and noticed that my brakes would not work. i
    nearly crashed in a cactus. How bad does motor oil tweek you brake pads? I am going to have to
    get new ones.

    Mike from Albuquerque

    Tags:

  2. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    "Grippedclimer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi, recently had an epic here at the house where my soon to be x-wife went ballistic. In the end,
    > all my clothes were slashed and covered in motor oil; all of my climbing gear was soaked in motor
    > oil, and my new GT XC bike (my baby) I just built had slashed tires and covered in motor oil. I
    > cleaned as best I could. I went for a ride today and noticed that my brakes would not work. i
    > nearly crashed in a cactus. How bad does motor oil tweek you brake pads? I am going to have to get
    > new ones.
    >
    > Mike from Albuquerque

    It's definitely time for new pads and a new chick; what a psycho!
    --
    Slacker

  3. G.T.

    G.T. Guest

    Slacker wrote:
    > "Grippedclimer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    >>Hi, recently had an epic here at the house where my soon to be x-wife went ballistic. In the end,
    >>all my clothes were slashed and covered in motor oil; all of my climbing gear was soaked in motor
    >>oil, and my new GT XC bike (my baby) I just built had slashed tires and covered in motor oil. I
    >>cleaned as best I could. I went for a ride today and noticed that my brakes would not work. i
    >>nearly crashed in a cactus. How bad does motor oil tweek you brake pads? I am going to have to get
    >>new ones.
    >>
    >>Mike from Albuquerque
    >

    > It's definitely time for new pads and a new chick; what a psycho!

    As psycho as my ex- is I'm glad I didn't have to go through anything like that. We've remained
    friends because I sure wouldn't want her as an enemy!

    Greg

  4. "Grippedclimer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    | Hi, recently had an epic here at the house where my soon to be x-wife went ballistic. In the end,
    | all my clothes were slashed and covered in motor oil; all of my climbing gear was soaked in motor
    | oil, and my new GT XC bike (my baby) I just built had slashed tires and covered in motor oil. I
    | cleaned as best I could. I went for a ride today and noticed that my brakes would not work. i
    | nearly crashed in a cactus. How bad does motor oil tweek you brake pads? I am going to have to get
    | new ones.

    Post some pictures, then get new pads, then blow a grand on a weekend in Vegas with some cheap
    hookers and lots of booze, take lots of pictures, and send those pictures to her (after you move to
    a new plce where she can't find you).

    --
    Pete Fagerlin

    Save Fruita trails! http://www.petefagerlin.com/bookcliffs.htm

  5. Michael Paul

    Michael Paul Guest

  6. John G

    John G Guest

    Grippedclimer wrote:
    > Hi, recently had an epic here at the house where my soon to be x-wife went ballistic. In the end,
    > all my clothes were slashed and covered in motor oil; all of my climbing gear was soaked in motor
    > oil, and my new GT XC bike (my baby) I just built had slashed tires and covered in motor oil.

    Wow, sounds like a an episode fo C.O.P.S. Or someone wne off her Prozac.

    > I cleaned as best I could.

    a Can of Wurth brake cleaner will do wonders for cleaning metalish stuff

    > I went for a ride today

    good for you sounds liek you could use it.

    > How bad does motor oil tweek you brake pads?

    way bad.

    > I am going to have to get new ones.

    Yes

  7. "Grippedclimer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi, recently had an epic here at the house where my soon to be x-wife
    went
    > ballistic. In the end, all my clothes were slashed and covered in motor
    oil;
    > all of my climbing gear was soaked in motor oil, and my new GT XC bike (my baby) I just built had
    > slashed tires and covered in motor oil. I cleaned
    as
    > best I could. I went for a ride today and noticed that my brakes would
    not
    > work. i nearly crashed in a cactus. How bad does motor oil tweek you
    brake
    > pads? I am going to have to get new ones.
    >
    > Mike from Albuquerque

    This has got my vote for the funniest post of the year, motor oil, GT bike and a cactus. You can't
    make up sh*t like that.

  8. Sorni

    Sorni Guest

    "Grippedclimer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi, recently had an epic here at the house where my soon to be x-wife
    went
    > ballistic. In the end, all my clothes were slashed and covered in motor
    oil;
    > all of my climbing gear was soaked in motor oil, and my new GT XC bike (my baby) I just built had
    > slashed tires and covered in motor oil. I cleaned
    as
    > best I could. I went for a ride today and noticed that my brakes would
    not
    > work. i nearly crashed in a cactus. How bad does motor oil tweek you
    brake
    > pads? I am going to have to get new ones.
    >
    > Mike from Albuquerque

    My ex moved to NM?!? No wonder the birds are singing again...

    Bill "police report, restraining order, and THEN the trip to Vegas" S.

  9. Jan Sacharuk

    Jan Sacharuk Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Grippedclimer wrote:
    > Hi, recently had an epic here at the house where my soon to be x-wife went ballistic. In the end,
    > all my clothes were slashed and covered in motor oil; all of my climbing gear was soaked in motor
    > oil, and my new GT XC bike (my baby) I just built had slashed tires and covered in motor oil. I
    > cleaned as best I could. I went for a ride today and noticed that my brakes would not work. i
    > nearly crashed in a cactus. How bad does motor oil tweek you brake pads? I am going to have to get
    > new ones.

    Oil fouls the pads. Don't just buy new pads, make sure you soak the rotors in rubbing alcohol to get
    any trace amounts of oil off of the rotors. If the rotors still have oil on them, they'll
    recontaminate the pads, and you'll have to start over.

    JS

    --
    ========================= [email protected] ========================
    Jan Sacharuk Member in Good Standing of The Discordian Solidarity Turn on viewing of the X-Geek-Code

  10. Westie

    Westie Guest

    news:[email protected]...
    wrote:
    > > Hi, recently had an epic here at the house where my soon to be x-wife
    went
    > > ballistic. In the end, all my clothes were slashed and covered in motor
    oil;
    > > all of my climbing gear was soaked in motor oil, and my new GT XC bike
    (my
    > > baby) I just built had slashed tires and covered in motor oil. I
    cleaned as
    > > best I could. I went for a ride today and noticed that my brakes would
    not
    > > work. i nearly crashed in a cactus. How bad does motor oil tweek you
    brake
    > > pads? I am going to have to get new ones.
    >
    > Oil fouls the pads. Don't just buy new pads, make sure you soak the rotors in rubbing alcohol to
    > get any trace amounts of oil off of the rotors. If the rotors still have oil on them, they'll
    > recontaminate the pads, and you'll have to start over.
    >
    > JS

    It wouldn't hurt to take the calipers off and give them a good and thorough clean to remove any
    drips or smears of oil too. You don't want to recontaminate new pads.
    --
    Westie

  11. "G.T." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Slacker wrote:
    > > "Grippedclimer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > >>Hi, recently had an epic here at the house where my soon to be x-wife went ballistic. In the
    > >>end, all my clothes were slashed and covered in motor oil; all of my climbing gear was soaked in
    > >>motor oil, and my new GT XC bike (my baby) I just built had slashed tires and covered in motor
    > >>oil. I cleaned as best I could. I went for a ride today and noticed that my brakes would not
    > >>work. i nearly crashed in a cactus. How bad does motor oil tweek you brake pads? I am going to
    > >>have to get new ones.
    > >>
    > >>Mike from Albuquerque
    > >

    > > It's definitely time for new pads and a new chick; what a psycho!
    >
    > As psycho as my ex- is I'm glad I didn't have to go through anything like that. We've remained
    > friends because I sure wouldn't want her as an enemy!
    >
    > Greg

    Gonna get some new pads tomorrow. Heading off to Moab on Friday. I think she might have gotten
    Mercury poisoin in her brain from her old tooth fillings! I don't think I will tell her that one.

    Peace.

  12. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On 07 Apr 2003 03:55:51 GMT, [email protected] (Grippedclimer) wrote:

    [snip psycho wife stuff]

    >How bad does motor oil tweek you brake pads? I am going to have to get new ones.
    >
    >Mike from Albuquerque

    ...and you're worried about new brake pads?

    :-]

  13. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On Mon, 7 Apr 2003 11:49:59 +0100, "spademan o---[\) *" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >This has got my vote for the funniest post of the year, motor oil, GT bike and a cactus. You can't
    >make up sh*t like that.

    true, Bill The mind serves properly as a window glass rather than as a reflector, that is, the mind
    :-]

  14. Alex Ravenel

    Alex Ravenel Guest

    >I am going to have to get new ones.

    As in a new girlfriend? Thats what you need.

    --
    --------
    Alex Ravenel http://www.theravenel.net

  15. John G

    John G Guest

    Bill Wheeler wrote:
    > On 07 Apr 2003 03:55:51 GMT, [email protected] (Grippedclimer) wrote:
    >
    > [snip psycho wife stuff]
    >

    >>How bad does motor oil tweek you brake pads? I am going to have to get new ones.
    >>
    >>Mike from Albuquerque
    >

    > ...and you're worried about new brake pads?

    Sometimes, the best thing to do is go for a ride.

  16. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Alex Ravenel <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > >I am going to have to get new ones.
    >

    > As in a new girlfriend? Thats what you need.

    So, y'all read carefully enough to see the bit where he wrote "soon to be ex-wife" then..........

    Shaun aRe