Motorist convicted of attacking cyclists

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Brent Hugh, Jan 30, 2003.

  1. Brent Hugh

    Brent Hugh Guest

    A Kansas woman was convicted Wednesday of attacking two cyclists with her motor vehicle, causing
    them to crash.

    The woman became enraged because the cyclists were riding two abreast on a two-lane highway. Kansas
    State law allows such two-abreast riding.

    The woman repeated passed the cyclists, shouting at them, and finally swerved abruptly in front of
    them, clipping the wheel of one cyclist and causing both cyclists to crash into the ditch.

    The cyclists, who were riding in the Bike Across Kansas tour, were not seriously injured.

    The woman was convicted of aggravated assault and other counts and faces sentencing on March 31st.
    She faces a sentence of 11 to 34 months.

    See http://mobikefed.org/2003_01_01_newsarchive.html#90257148

    --Brent

    Missouri Bicycle Federation: http://www.mobikefed.org

    +++++++++++++++++ Brent Hugh / [email protected] +++++++++++++++++
    + Missouri Western St College Dept of Music, St. Joseph, MO +
    + Piano Home Page: http://staff.mwsc.edu/~bhugh +
    + Earthquake Fugue: http://mp3.com/stations/MathMusic + +++ Music of the Human Genome:
    http://mp3.com/brent_d_hugh +++

    Tags:

  2. Zoot Katz

    Zoot Katz Guest

    30 Jan 2003 18:24:54 -0800,
    <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Brent Hugh) wrote:

    >The woman was convicted of aggravated assault and other counts and faces sentencing on March 31st.
    >She faces a sentence of 11 to 34 months.

    " carries a presumption of probation from a sentence of 11 to 34 months."
    http://www.saljournal.com/stories/013003/new_roadRage.html

    Sound's like she's going to be driving home from court unless they've suspended her license too.

    I wonder if she was on Paxil.
    --
    zk

  3. On 30 Jan 2003 18:24:54 -0800, [email protected] (Brent Hugh) said:

    >The woman was convicted of aggravated assault and other counts and faces sentencing on March 31st.
    >She faces a sentence of 11 to 34 months.

    That's a slap on the wrist.

    They ought to lock her up and throw away the key.

    --

    I think. Therefore, I am not a conservative! ------ http://www.todayslastword.org -------

  4. Pbwalther

    Pbwalther Guest

    >That's a slap on the wrist.
    >
    >They ought to lock her up and throw away the key.

    I disagree. Keeping people in prison is derned expensive. I think she should pay a stiff fine. She
    should do community service. And they should sentence her to ride across the state on a bicycle.

  5. On 31 Jan 2003 14:31:51 GMT in rec.bicycles.misc, [email protected] (Pbwalther) wrote:

    > I disagree. Keeping people in prison is derned expensive. I think she should pay a stiff fine. She
    > should do community service. And they should sentence her to ride across the state on a bicycle.

    well, i agree with the prison time, but they should also have permanently revoked her driving
    license, since she obviously is unable to drive without using her car as a weapon.

  6. Robin Hubert

    Robin Hubert Guest

    A little bit of old-fashioned corporal punishment might be effective. How about caning?

    Robin Hubert

    "Pbwalther" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > >That's a slap on the wrist.
    > >
    > >They ought to lock her up and throw away the key.
    > >

    > I disagree. Keeping people in prison is derned expensive. I think she
    should
    > pay a stiff fine. She should do community service. And they should
    sentence
    > her to ride across the state on a bicycle.

  7. Raymo853

    Raymo853 Guest

    An insanely long prison terms for an assault is not the answer.

    "Pooing Is Cool" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > On 30 Jan 2003 18:24:54 -0800, [email protected] (Brent Hugh) said:
    >
    > >The woman was convicted of aggravated assault and other counts and faces sentencing on March
    > >31st. She faces a sentence of 11 to 34 months.
    >
    > That's a slap on the wrist.
    >
    > They ought to lock her up and throw away the key.
    >
    > --
    >
    > I think. Therefore, I am not a conservative! ------ http://www.todayslastword.org -------

  8. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...

    >The woman was convicted of aggravated assault and other counts and faces sentencing on March 31st.
    >She faces a sentence of 11 to 34 months.

    Should have been assault with a deadly weapon.
    -----------------
    Alex __O _-\<,_ (_)/ (_)

  9. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...

    >>That's a slap on the wrist.
    >>
    >>They ought to lock her up and throw away the key.
    >>

    >I disagree. Keeping people in prison is derned expensive. I think she should pay a stiff fine. She
    >should do community service. And they should sentence her to ride across the state on a bicycle.

    Loss of her license for a period of time should also be part of her punishment.
    -----------------
    Alex __O _-\<,_ (_)/ (_)

  10. [email protected] (Pooing Is Cool) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > On 30 Jan 2003 18:24:54 -0800, [email protected] (Brent Hugh) said:
    >
    > >The woman was convicted of aggravated assault and other counts and faces sentencing on March
    > >31st. She faces a sentence of 11 to 34 months.
    >
    > That's a slap on the wrist.
    >
    > They ought to lock her up and throw away the key.

    In NC, there was a case last year where a person was riding, by himself, on a "country" road
    (meaning little or no traffic). A person came up behind him in a utility van, and there was a curve
    in the road, therefore, he couldn't immediately pass the cyclist. He blew the horn several times,
    and then came speeding by and almost clipped the cyclist's wheel as he swerved back into the lane
    (no oncoming traffic was on the road). The cyclist, much as most of us would do, gave him the
    universal signal to fuck off. The van driver, deciding that he wasn't going to be taking shit from a
    person wearing lycra, stopped, got out of his van, pulled a crow bar from the back, and attacked the
    guy riding. The vehicle driver broke the cyclist's arm, and then drove off after he beat him into a
    ditch. What did this guy get for a pre-meditated attack on a somewhat defenseless person? $500 fine,
    and recommendation for anger management counseling (he didn't have to go, it was just a suggestion).
    And that was it. There's something rotten in Denmark when something such as this happens.

    Tom

  11. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    One of the things that I've always thought would be appropriate punishment for drivers doing
    something like this is to force them to ride a bicycle for a period of time to see exactly how it
    feels to be on the receiving end of the stick.

    The crap we have to deal with on a daily basis would amaze most drivers.

    "Pbwalther" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > >That's a slap on the wrist.
    > >
    > >They ought to lock her up and throw away the key.
    > >

    > I disagree. Keeping people in prison is derned expensive. I think she
    should
    > pay a stiff fine. She should do community service. And they should
    sentence
    > her to ride across the state on a bicycle.

  12. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    ...and that's why I tell people that as long as you're smiling and waving, you can say anything you
    want. Why give them the pleasure of seeing you pissed off at their stupidity??

    The cycle of escalating violence between a car and a cyclist means that the guy/gal on a bike loses
    every time... not to mention makes the idiot behind the wheel sees every cyclist the same way as the
    last guy that flipped him off.

    Mike

    news:[email protected]...

  13. On Fri, 31 Jan 2003 18:40:19 GMT, "Mike S." <[email protected]> said:

    >One of the things that I've always thought would be appropriate punishment for drivers doing
    >something like this is to force them to ride a bicycle for a period of time to see exactly how it
    >feels to be on the receiving end of the stick.

    Maybe they don't know how to ride a bike. They've probably had everything handed to them on a silver
    platter their entire lives - with the fanciest new cars, chauffeurs, and everything - so they've
    probably never had a reason to try to learn how to ride one.

    --

  14. On 31 Jan 2003 10:22:59 -0800, [email protected] (Tom Arsenault) said:

    >What did this guy get for a pre-meditated attack on a somewhat defenseless person? $500 fine, and
    >recommendation for anger management counseling (he didn't have to go, it was just a suggestion).

    And yet they'll put some 13-year-old kid in prison for one joint.

    --

    I think. Therefore, I am not a conservative! ------ http://www.todayslastword.org -------

  15. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    [email protected] (Dennis P. Harris) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > well, i agree with the prison time, but they should also have permanently revoked her driving
    > license, since she obviously is unable to drive without using her car as a weapon.

    I think that this is a good point. No one that ever uses a motor vehicle as a weapon should ever be
    eligible for a drivers license again.

  16. schikerbiker

    schikerbiker Guest

    "Tom Arsenault" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > . The cyclist, much as most of us would do, gave him the universal signal to fuck off.
    ....further....

    > What did this guy get for a pre-meditated attack on a somewhat defenseless person? $500 fine, and
    > recommendation for anger management counseling (he didn't have to go, it was just a suggestion).

    The "universal signal" by the bicyclist is why this person only got a $500 fine. Think about that
    next time you flip the finger at a car. It is clearly meant to provoke the car. You know why some
    cars enjoy bothering bicyclist? Because they get a kick out of watching our knee jerk reactions.
    (flipping the finger, shouting et al). Best to just ignore them, even if they are in the wrong.

  17. schikerbiker

    schikerbiker Guest

    "Mike S." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > ...and that's why I tell people that as long as you're smiling and waving, you can say anything
    > you want. Why give them the pleasure of seeing you pissed off at their stupidity??

    Which is exactly the goal of them doing such actions, they want to see bicyclist have knee-jerk
    reactions. Like I have said many times, when you flip off a car and such, you only make it more
    dangerous for the next bicyclist they come across or yourself. It accomplishes nothing.

  18. schikerbiker

    schikerbiker Guest

  19. Raymo853

    Raymo853 Guest

    The best thing I have found so far to do when harassed by a car is to yell out very loud "Jesus
    Loves Still You" Remember most of the folks that tend to get angry at bikes are pretty religious, so
    yelling that at them usually freaks them out and makes them go away feeling guilty. There are
    potential problems if they do not hear you correctly.

    > "Brent Hugh" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    > > The woman was convicted of aggravated assault and other counts and faces sentencing on March
    > > 31st. She faces a sentence of 11 to 34 months.
    >
    > From the real news article http://www.saljournal.com/stories/013003/new_roadRage.html
    >
    > Yes, this sentence is too light.

  20. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On 31 Jan 2003 20:13:15 GMT, [email protected] (Hunrobe) wrote:

    >In reality, these kinds of attacks have little if anything to do with any anti-cyclist feeling.
    >They happen regardless of what mode of transportation is being used.

    A classic traffic tantrum, as you say. The problem being, of course, that when the victim is not
    surrounded by a steel cage the effects can be fatal.

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.