Motorists who park on pavements

bob

Guest
Parking on pavements is a particular bugbear of mine.

For all those motorists who like to complain about cyclists on pavements
another perspective is given in the Herald letters page at
http://tinyurl.com/38j2f8
--
geomannie

bob wrote:
> Parking on pavements is a particular bugbear of mine.
>
> For all those motorists who like to complain about cyclists on pavements
> another perspective is given in the Herald letters page at
> http://tinyurl.com/38j2f8

Word is, parking on pavements is not illegal unless made so by a local
byelaw. Driving on the pavement, however, is illegal, so unless the car
was pushed or winched on there...

"Zog The Undeniable" <[email protected]> wrote

> Word is, parking on pavements is not illegal unless made so by a local
> byelaw. Driving on the pavement, however, is illegal, so unless the car
> was pushed or winched on there...

It's an offence if such parking causes an obstruction.

Calum

On Mar 6, 5:46 pm, Zog The Undeniable <[email protected]> wrote:
> bob wrote:
> > Parking on pavements is a particular bugbear of mine.

> > For all those motorists who like to complain about cyclists on pavements
> > another perspective is given in the Herald letters page at
> >http://tinyurl.com/38j2f8

> Word is, parking on pavements is not illegal unless made so by a local
> byelaw. Driving on the pavement, however, is illegal, so unless the car
> was pushed or winched on there...

That's what I've been told as well. Although damaging a grass verge
by parking on it is illegal (possibly criminal damage) and I think
blocking a pavement to the extent that someone can't walk along it by
parking on it might be illegal (inconsiderate driving?)

peter
peter

bob wrote:
> Parking on pavements is a particular bugbear of mine.
>
> For all those motorists who like to complain about cyclists on pavements
> another perspective is given in the Herald letters page at
> http://tinyurl.com/38j2f8

Inconsiderate parking irks me more than pavement cycling. Round here
there are roads where it is extremely difficult to use the footpath
because they are invariably blocked my parked cars. Some motorists
insist on blocking dropped curbs and crossing places in the road, and
they are just inconveniencing other people, whilst not benefiting from
their car blocking other people. It is just selfish.

Martin.

"bob" <downiegeon0spam.co.uk@downie#n0sapm#.co.uk> wrote in message
> Parking on pavements is a particular bugbear of mine.

I'm often tempted to walk up the bonnet, over and down the boot when a car
doesn't leave space for a pedestrian. Not done it yet, but I have gone out
of my way to intrude on the owner's front garden when their car prevents me
walking on the pavement.

On Fri, 07 Mar 2008 00:39:55 GMT, Martin Dann <[email protected]>
wrote:

>bob wrote:
>> Parking on pavements is a particular bugbear of mine.
>>
>> For all those motorists who like to complain about cyclists on pavements
>> another perspective is given in the Herald letters page at
>> http://tinyurl.com/38j2f8

>Inconsiderate parking irks me more than pavement cycling. Round here
>there are roads where it is extremely difficult to use the footpath
>because they are invariably blocked my parked cars. Some motorists
>insist on blocking dropped curbs and crossing places in the road, and
>they are just inconveniencing other people, whilst not benefiting from
>their car blocking other people. It is just selfish.

Absolutely right.

It's particularly annoying when I am walking my young children to
school and a parent zooms up and parks on the pavement in front of
us, forcing us to walk in the road. This is also coupled by residents
parking on the pavement, even though the road is wide enough.

M.

On 7 Mar, 00:53, "OG" <[email protected]> wrote:
> "bob" <downiegeon0spam.co.uk@downie#n0sapm#.co.uk> wrote in message

> > Parking on pavements is a particular bugbear of mine.

> I'm often tempted to walk up the bonnet, over and down the boot when a car
> doesn't leave space for a pedestrian. Not done it yet, but I have gone out
> of my way to intrude on the owner's front garden when their car prevents me
> walking on the pavement.

Years ago in Scotland I was walking along the pavement with my young
daughter. A clown in a car decides he wants to park on the piece of
pavement on which I was walking (towards him). I declined to move in,
forcing him to come to a stop. He felt that I was the one being
unreasonable by stopping him driving on the pavement.

Having my 5-year-old in tow forced me to decide against any further
action, but it made me so angry, and still does. I've asked people
how they expect a wheelchair to get past their car, only to be met
with the response "You're not in a wheel chair, so it's none of your
business".

Shoot the bastards.Slowly.

Peter.

On Thu, 6 Mar 2008 13:51:23 +0000, bob
<downiegeon0spam.co.uk@downie#n0sapm#.co.uk> wrote:

>Parking on pavements is a particular bugbear of mine.
>
>For all those motorists who like to complain about cyclists on pavements
>another perspective is given in the Herald letters page at
>http://tinyurl.com/38j2f8

Local council round here East Riding of Yorkshire Council have marked
out parking bays that are half on the road and half on the footpath

What is the situation relating to cycle lanes, they have just marked
out a lot of cycle lanes at the side of the roads, nearly a meter
wide. On some main roads cars cars could not pass oncoming cars if
cyclists were on both sides of the road

Pet hate motorists who park in the marked lanes

Steve Walford <[email protected]> wrote:

> What is the situation relating to cycle lanes, they have just marked
> out a lot of cycle lanes at the side of the roads, nearly a meter
> wide. On some main roads cars cars could not pass oncoming cars if
> cyclists were on both sides of the road

In that case, motorists would have to wait. There are some main roads
where motorists could not pass oncoming cars if motorists were on both
sides of the road.

Cheers,
Luke

exile in Lancashire <http://www.shrimper.org.uk>

On Sun, 09 Mar 2008 17:46:40 GMT,
[email protected] (Ekul Namsob) wrote:

>Steve Walford <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> What is the situation relating to cycle lanes, they have just marked
>> out a lot of cycle lanes at the side of the roads, nearly a meter
>> wide. On some main roads cars cars could not pass oncoming cars if
>> cyclists were on both sides of the road

>In that case, motorists would have to wait. There are some main roads
>where motorists could not pass oncoming cars if motorists were on both
>sides of the road.

Unfortunately many motorists haven't got the hang of waiting until it
is safe to pass.

M.

On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 09:20:52 +0000 someone who may be Mark
<[email protected]> wrote this:-

>>In that case, motorists would have to wait. There are some main roads
>>where motorists could not pass oncoming cars if motorists were on both
>>sides of the road.

>Unfortunately many motorists haven't got the hang of waiting until it
>is safe to pass.

Indeed. This is particularly the case in road narrowings where there
is priority for one direction. Many motorists appear to be under the
impression that such priorities don't apply if the operator of the
other vehicle is "only a cyclist".

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

David Hansen wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 09:20:52 +0000 someone who may be Mark
> <[email protected]> wrote this:-
>
>>> In that case, motorists would have to wait. There are some main roads
>>> where motorists could not pass oncoming cars if motorists were on both
>>> sides of the road.

>> Unfortunately many motorists haven't got the hang of waiting until it
>> is safe to pass.

> Indeed. This is particularly the case in road narrowings where there
> is priority for one direction. Many motorists appear to be under the
> impression that such priorities don't apply if the operator of the
> other vehicle is "only a cyclist".

Take a look at the thread nearby about recent official County Council
vandalism of the highway in Beverley, Yorks (to the apparent diusgust
and concern of the local authority). £90,000 of taxpayers' money was
spent (on exactly the sort of scheme mentioned in the PP) to "achieve" it.

David Hansen <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 09:20:52 +0000 someone who may be Mark
> <[email protected]> wrote this:-
>
> >>In that case, motorists would have to wait. There are some main roads
> >>where motorists could not pass oncoming cars if motorists were on both
> >>sides of the road.

> >Unfortunately many motorists haven't got the hang of waiting until it
> >is safe to pass.

> Indeed. This is particularly the case in road narrowings where there
> is priority for one direction. Many motorists appear to be under the
> impression that such priorities don't apply if the operator of the
> other vehicle is "only a cyclist".

That's why cars have a reverse gear. ;-)

Luke

exile in Lancashire <http://www.shrimper.org.uk>

In article <1idlooi.ow61d71drt205N%
[email protected]>, Ekul Namsob
[email protected] says...

> That's why cars have a reverse gear. ;-)

Which many drivers seem totally incapable of using effectively. What's
so difficult about steering when going backwards? Everyone has to do it
for their test (albeit rather slowly) but apparently lots of them try to
avoid it forever after so they don't have one of the most basic
manouevring skills when they need it.

On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 11:51:08 -0000, Rob Morley <[email protected]> wrote:
> In article <1idlooi.ow61d71drt205N%
> [email protected]>, Ekul Namsob
> [email protected] says...
>
> > That's why cars have a reverse gear. ;-)
> >

> Which many drivers seem totally incapable of using effectively.
> What's so difficult about steering when going backwards?

Ooh! Thread convergence. Perhaps they don't realise they should be
counter-steering with their arms crossed while watching for cats
falling off the swings?

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig