Motorized Bicycles

Nukuhiva

Jul 14, 2004
I ended up with a 1961 Schwinn Tornado (girl's version) with a Stingray handlebar and single speed coaster brake setup. The bike has been through a variety of non-original front wheels, the current one is a 24-incher, pirated from some unknown other bike.
Being original Chicago steel, it's HEAVY and not much of a pleasure to pedal uphill in this here mountain city.
Downhills are scary until you get used to the coaster brake.......
I'm not much of a car or motor guy, but in this particular case I feel the desire the try to turn this bike into what the Germans might call a Mofa. The fact that it's a girl's bike does make it look somewhat similar to something like a Puch Maxi.
Clearance wouldn't be a problem, this is a very bare bones beach cruiser type deal, according to my information, the cheapest Schwinn made at the time. The only potential hitch I can see at this point is that the gas tank would have to be mounted at an angle (like some of those chopper type motorcycles) or be braced somehow.
I will keep the engine under 50cc's, which means it will still count as a 'bicycle' as far as New Mexico law is concerned.
There are bike paths here with signs that say 'No Motorized Vehicles' , and these signs are summarily ignored, I've even seen Vespas and small dirt bikes (Yamaha, et. al.) on them, not to mention those 'mini bikes'.
Traffic on these paths is usually light enough so this doesn't matter, what are your thoughts on this?
Opinions on motorized bicycles in general?