Motorpacing Ideas

Rhino-x

Sep 29, 2005
Right, I have secured a small 50cc scooter, a rider and a closed crit track that we can use early in the morning. I am in the process of putting a roller on the back, just for when I get to close. I trust the motorbike rider completely, and no he won't slow through the corners. The track is quiet flat as well, with no even a slight rise.

Now, do I just get him to sit on 40-50km/hr, or does anyone know of a routine for me to follow? How long for? How hard? Surges included?

Rhino-x said:
Right, I have secured a small 50cc scooter, a rider and a closed crit track that we can use early in the morning. I am in the process of putting a roller on the back, just for when I get to close. I trust the motorbike rider completely, and no he won't slow through the corners. The track is quiet flat as well, with no even a slight rise.

Now, do I just get him to sit on 40-50km/hr, or does anyone know of a routine for me to follow? How long for? How hard? Surges included?
Depends.

What are you actually trying to improve? On its own, pacing behind a motorbike isn't going to do much for your aerobic fitness. It's good in early season for leg speed drills, sharpening the mental/concentration skills, perhaps cornering skills at speed, maybe getting you up to speed for simulating sprints from behind a leadout (not sure such a small engine would generate enough speed for that) and as a change up to other training (it's fun to do) but it's pretty **** for generating improvement in sustainable aerobic power (same issue as riding in the bunch - insufficient consistency in the resistance forces to elicit the physiological adaptations in the most effective/efficient manner).

You only have to do a Quadrant Analysis on a motor pacing effort to see why.

If the terrain is variable (which you said it isn't) - then the need to rapidly vary power comes into play and in that sense it can simulate a fast bunch (which is handy if you need to simulate those conditions and don't have a fast bunch to ride with - personally I use races for that - nothing beats specificity).

Have him acclerate ever so slowly until you can't hang anymore. You could also do leadouts.