Mountain BIke-build question

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Matt Peeler

I built a road bike last year and I am trying to build a mountain bike now as I have some spare
wheels and parts I could use to help build
it. I am mostly going to use this as a road/dirt road bike in winter time but will do some offroad
on occassion. I am currently looking for an inexpensive suspension fork and I have noticed
that some are disc brake only which seem to have the best price. I don't really know much
about disc brakes.

Is there a link on how they work and how to install them? Is that much harder?

I was planning on buying a fork with cantilever brakes but haven't found one at a lower price to
purchase but I see the prices on disc brakes are alot more too so there may be an offset.

Also, I already have a MTN Bike with an older 7 speed setup. Is it easy to find 7sp parts for a new
MTN bike I am building now since I am wanting to be able to swap wheels.

Thanks in advance

Matt p

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
>I built a road bike last year and I am trying to build a mountain bike now as I have some spare
>wheels and parts I could use to help build
>it. I am mostly going to use this as a road/dirt road bike in winter time but will do some offroad
> on occassion. I am currently looking for an inexpensive suspension fork and I have noticed that
> some are disc brake only which seem to have the best price. I don't really know much about disc
> brakes. Is there a link on how they work and how to install them? Is that much harder?

I have an avid mechanical disc and it is not difficult at all. The instructions will depend on the
brake you get, so you can see them when you get the brake. You will also need to get a disk brake
hub, so factor that into your price calculations.

>I was planning on buying a fork with cantilever brakes but haven't found one at a lower price to
>purchase but I see the prices on disc brakes are alot more too so there may be an offset.

Yup, you may find that it is cheaper to buy the more expensive fork and save money on
brakes and hubs.
-----------------
Alex __O _-\<,_ (_)/ (_)

Matt Peeler wrote:

> I built a road bike last year and I am trying to build a mountain bike now as I have some spare
> wheels and parts I could use to help build
> it. I am mostly going to use this as a road/dirt road bike in winter time but will do some offroad
> on occassion. I am currently looking for an inexpensive suspension fork and I have noticed
> that some are disc brake only which seem to have the best price. I don't really know much
> about disc brakes.
>

Mechanical disc brakes are not that expensive and not a big deal to set up, BUT - you need
disc-specific hubs, which in turn only come with
8/9 speed splines, as far as I know, and you probably will also need new brake levers. You would
have to upgrade just about everything. It would be quite a bit cheaper to find a fork with canti
bosses. Even then, you'll probably have to replace the headset and the stem.

Given the type of bike you are trying to build, it might be even better (and a WHOLE LOT cheaper!)
to stick with a solid fork. IMO, front suspension will only really do you any good on substantial
drops (jumps) and steep, bumpy downhill sections. For most dirt/offroad riding, you really don't
need it. Also, cheap suspension forks tend to be really awful.

You'd be amazed at what you can ride on a completely solid (no suspension) bike with the
right tires.

Status
Not open for further replies.