Mountain bike City Slicks

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by meb, Nov 4, 2005.

  1. meb

    meb New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 21, 2003
    Messages:
    1,219
    The 26 x 1.25 Mountain Bike City Slicks are advertised as mountable on standard mountain bike rims. Wondering if such a thin tire on a mountain bike rim wouldn't be prone to pinch flats, especially for a 225 lb rider.

    Anyone tried these?

    Tags:

  2. meb wrote:
    > The 26 x 1.25 Mountain Bike City Slicks are advertised as mountable on
    > standard mountain bike rims. Wondering if such a thin tire on a
    > mountain bike rim wouldn't be prone to pinch flats, especially for a
    > 225 lb rider.
    >
    > Anyone tried these?

    Remember that most 'MTB' rims are not all that wider than many 'road'
    rims. Just use enough air pressure and you will be fine.

  3. meb wrote:
    > The 26 x 1.25 Mountain Bike City Slicks are advertised as mountable on
    > standard mountain bike rims. Wondering if such a thin tire on a
    > mountain bike rim wouldn't be prone to pinch flats, especially for a
    > 225 lb rider.
    >
    > Anyone tried these?

    the good ones can hold up to 90 pounds.. though 65 is more common.
    I've used them for years (18? 20? something like that). Mostly Tioga
    and Ritchie, never had a pinch flat even when I was in the 230 lb
    range..

  4. Robin Hubert

    Robin Hubert Guest

    meb wrote:
    > The 26 x 1.25 Mountain Bike City Slicks are advertised as mountable on
    > standard mountain bike rims. Wondering if such a thin tire on a
    > mountain bike rim wouldn't be prone to pinch flats, especially for a
    > 225 lb rider.
    >
    > Anyone tried these?

    How about the 1.5 or 1.95" versions?

    Robin Hubert

  5. In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...
    >The 26 x 1.25 Mountain Bike City Slicks are advertised as mountable on
    >standard mountain bike rims. Wondering if such a thin tire on a
    >mountain bike rim wouldn't be prone to pinch flats, especially for a
    >225 lb rider.
    >Anyone tried these?

    They work fine as long as you keep the pressure reasonable. If it was me, I
    would run at least 60psi in the tires.
    -----------
    Alex

  6. maxo

    maxo Guest

    (PeteCresswell) wrote:

    > I use Performance's 26 x 1.25 "City Slicks" on my commuter bike, no problems.

    I've used those too, and you can run them at 90psi so little chance of
    pinching. Cheap when they're on sale, and decent enough.

    I've only put a couple thousand on them before selling the bike that
    had them, but they turned an ancient MTB into quite a nippy town scoot.

  7. meb

    meb New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 21, 2003
    Messages:
    1,219
    I tried a 1.5 on the rear of an electric bike and had pinch flat and broken spoke problems, but that is a very heavy bike with an inordinate rearward weight bias. I installed a 1.5 on the front of the mountain bike, should be no trouble on the front with a 1.5.

    I installed a 1.95 Wednesday on the rear of the electric and don't anticipate pinch flat trouble-although the electric wears rear tires out faster than conventional bikes. The original equipment was something like a 2.15 and I had no pinch flats.

  8. Per meb:
    >The 26 x 1.25 Mountain Bike City Slicks are advertised as mountable on
    >standard mountain bike rims. Wondering if such a thin tire on a
    >mountain bike rim wouldn't be prone to pinch flats, especially for a
    >225 lb rider.
    >
    >Anyone tried these?

    I use Performance's 26 x 1.25 "City Slicks" on my commuter bike, no problems.

    The rims are Mavic 517 (front) and Mavic 617 (rear) - which also accommodate my
    WTB Mutano Raptors (a high-volume 55x55) tire.

    No problems with pinch flats and I weigh about 220# - but I pump them up to 80
    psi. At 60, I dunno....
    --
    PeteCresswell

  9. meb wrote:
    > The 26 x 1.25 Mountain Bike City Slicks are advertised as mountable on
    > standard mountain bike rims. Wondering if such a thin tire on a
    > mountain bike rim wouldn't be prone to pinch flats, especially for a
    > 225 lb rider.

    Depends on the rim. On a wide rim like a Sun Rhyno Lite they will give
    a hard ride and won't corner well because the profile of the inflated
    tyre is all wrong. On a narrow rim like a DT XR 4.1 they will be perfect.

  10. Chalo

    Chalo Guest

    meb wrote:

    > I tried a 1.5 on the rear of an electric bike and had pinch flat and
    > broken spoke problems, but that is a very heavy bike with an inordinate
    > rearward weight bias. I installed a 1.5 on the front of the mountain
    > bike, should be no trouble on the front with a 1.5.
    >
    > I installed a 1.95 Wednesday on the rear of the electric and don't
    > anticipate pinch flat trouble-although the electric wears rear tires
    > out faster than conventional bikes. The original equipment was
    > something like a 2.15 and I had no pinch flats.

    I've found that a 2.35" Schwalbe Big Apple slick is an ideal tire for
    the front of my electric bike, which sports a 22 lb. hub motor. It
    rolls freely, provides plenty of shock absorbtion, and offers plenty of
    traction for the application. I can use modest pressures without
    risking pinch flats.

    I wish I could use such a fat tire on the rear. My electric bike's
    rear wheel, which bears most of my weight plus that of a 55 lb. battery
    pack, can only accomodate a 1.6" tire because of clearance limitations
    in the frame. It has been beaten to death despite being equipped with
    a sturdy rim and 48 spokes.

    Chalo Colina