Mountain Bike: Decathlon Rockrider 5.4

simon98

Nov 5, 2004
I commute every day to work - about 6 miles each way. Probably.
This involves roads of varying quality, a few kerb hops etc.

I also do some cycling on the weekends with the kids, sometimes a bit more adventurous than tow-path type rides, but nothing very serious.

I need a new bike and I had a look in Decathlon last weekend and they had their Rockrider 5.4 reduced from £350 to £270. To me this seems like a good bike - much lighter than my old one;with Diore derailleur; what seem like very good suspension forks etc.

It wasn't in my store so I have arranged to buy it in another one this coming weekend. Since I use it more for commuting than anything I was planning to use thinner tyres and tighten up the suspension on the forks as much as possible. Plus put on mudguards and rear rack.

Not being an expert on bikes by any means, I am inevitably having a few minor second thoughts now! :confused:

Is this mountain bike really an appropriate bike for my use?

Any advice most welcome.

Simon.

Hmm this looks like quite a quiet forum, anyone out there (anyone out there??) know of any busier ones?

Have a look in the 2nd hand ads if its just for commuting. My ex missus managed to get the then specialized hardrock virtually new for £50, or some dawes stuff is good and cheap. I just think most of the kit from decatholon is shite! Not being biased but its usually for the use twice then chuck away people, and you dont really need suspension for commuting!
I'd also wait till after christmas for the sales and people getting rid of stuff. Leisure lakes is pretty good.
Get bargain hunting fella

Sorry I got it! Suspension good because I use such uneven patsh and roads and the gears are like a dream compared to my old Giant hybrid.

One thing though is that it seems quite small (compared to my old one) - 26" wheels. Not something I'd thought about, is that normal on a mtb?

simon98 said:
Sorry I got it! Suspension good because I use such uneven patsh and roads and the gears are like a dream compared to my old Giant hybrid.

One thing though is that it seems quite small (compared to my old one) - 26" wheels. Not something I'd thought about, is that normal on a mtb?
No worries ,
If you like it and it works/rides well then its money well spent.
Get on it and enjoy

simon98 said:

26" wheels are standard on a MTB.

This bike is certainly appropriate for what you describe although suspension may be overrated for what you do, but that's what the market offers these days.

climbo said:
26" wheels are standard on a MTB.

This bike is certainly appropriate for what you describe although suspension may be overrated for what you do, but that's what the market offers these days.
Not quite the same thing, but I am riding an entry level Decathlon road bike at the moment and I have found that to be great value for the money...

If that helps!