Mountain Bike Gearing

Ricardo29

Jan 16, 2006
having been sucked in by mates who wont take to the road, im regrettably purchasing a mountain bike. that aside, i need some advice please, cant be bothered researching and looking around, just after a quick answer...someone nice out there may care to help!?!

need to know what running gear is the go, in order, such as shimano gear on road bikes:

entry sora $1000(AUD$) (approx 700'ish USD, 400euro)
beginner tiagra $1300
medium 105 $1500
excellent ultegra $2000+
the best dura ace $3000'ish

looking for a midrange bike, maybe tiagra/105 type...not the bottom, but little bit above. any suggetions, bit of a list in order of gear/approx price range would be sensational.
perhaps even one brand, from **** to awesome, say giants for instance......appreciate, tks.

The classic component models are:

$ - Acera - 8 speed mild recreation
$$ - Alivio - 8 speed recreation
$$$ - Deore - 9 speed mild performance
$$$$ - Deore LX - 9 speed performance
$$$$$ - Deore XT - 9 speed high performance
$$$$$$ - XTR - 9 speed ultra performance

Shimano has also introduced the heavy duty Saint and Hone models for freeride/urban which fit between the Deore and Deore LX. Per your Tiagra/105 request in quality, I'd say look at Deore/Deore LX equipped bikes.

Also, don't forget about Sram. They have a very impressive line of components as well.

Complete bike prices vary greatly because of different suspension forks and rear suspension, so I won't even attempt to give you realistic prices.

gclark8 said:
Felt make excellent Tri, Road And MTBs. ;)

see signature below...
my mtb is kitted mostly in LX with the odd XT part. Basically because both are tough and heard wearing and if they break (which they will) if wont break the bank. I recently got a twig caught in my rear mech - a 2004 XT and it ripped it apart....

mid-range durability i would go with LX, if you are a racer then its the XTR stuff.

MountainPro said:
my mtb is kitted mostly in LX with the odd XT part. Basically because both are tough and heard wearing and if they break (which they will) if wont break the bank. I recently got a twig caught in my rear mech - a 2004 XT and it ripped it apart....

mid-range durability i would go with LX, if you are a racer then its the XTR stuff.
My mtb has all deore LX components, with exception to the chain and brakes. even the hubs are LX. if i was to do it again, id do it the same, LX. works great, shifts great, durable (im 215 lbs), and didnt break the bank. then again my mtb has probably 900 into it including pedals and shoes (cant have clipless pedals without shoes).

straight deore would be great for somone that doesnt ride as much. xt has a little better performance, and XTR is for weight weenie XC racers lol. One of my wheelsets does have a rear xtr hub, and its prettty smooth i must say...