Mountain Bike Newbie

surgtech1956

Apr 10, 2007
I rode a friend's mtn bike(Giant Boulder) on some trails(novice to intermediate) and had a blast. At first I thought her bike was too small - but soon realized that it wasn't. She's prodding me to get a mtn bike now. We've been debating the road bike vs mtn bike issue now for awhile and I think I lost. She rides her mtn bike all over - its a communter for her, she's given up on road biking - she says she gets a better workout and not going faster doesn't matter to her. How many of you ride in the snow? Any recommendations in the $500-$600 price range??? I appreciate any advice and recommendations.

surgtech1956 said:
I rode a friend's mtn bike(Giant Boulder) on some trails(novice to intermediate) and had a blast. At first I thought her bike was too small - but soon realized that it wasn't. She's prodding me to get a mtn bike now. We've been debating the road bike vs mtn bike issue now for awhile and I think I lost. She rides her mtn bike all over - its a communter for her, she's given up on road biking - she says she gets a better workout and not going faster doesn't matter to her. How many of you ride in the snow? Any recommendations in the $500-$600 price range??? I appreciate any advice and recommendations.

Sizing of MTBs is a bit different to road bikes. For an MTB, your legs won't be peg-straight to the pedals for one.

You won't find too many road bikes in the snow! MTBs are generally more comfortable, offer a more upright position, are highly manourverable, with stout brakes (disc brakes in the snow are excellent, but can ice up in misty conditions) and the advantage of fat tyres which assist in snow riding (the trick though, is to deflate the tyres down to 20psi to increase their 'bite' in snow). In snow conditions, black ice is the major danger on roads, usually in shadow all day.

The 'better workout' bit is a little strange. On either an MTB or a road bike you will get a workout: the type of bike is really not so important unless you are dedicated as a roadie or MTBer and push yourself; the amount you ride, technique and your capacity to build up with rides from easy to hard will do it. Riding every day as a commuter is a good workout itself and beats puddling around in a car.

surgtech1956 said:
I'm a year 'round commuter in Toronto and use a MTB in snow...however, I use a beater bike for this. The snow and salt destroy the components, even if you keep the clean and well oiled.

Usually a $50 bike will last a season and I keep my better bikes for the other 3 seasons.

If most of your riding will be on asphalt, then pick the bike that fits best in your price range...if mostly XC, then a good hardtail (Marin, Specialized, Trek) will work well

JM01 said:
I'm a year 'round commuter in Toronto and use a MTB in snow...however, I use a beater bike for this. The snow and salt destroy the components, even if you keep the clean and well oiled.
"...snow and salt" !? Salt!!? :eek:
Where/why is there salt with the snow? :confused:
Snow riding in Australia is fine using Finish Line Dry teflon lube. Just a passing mention from a recent ride: fenders of any sort are a 'no-no', as snow will fly up while riding, hit the fender and then fall directly onto the freewheel.

Garyh_GONP07 said:
Snow riding in Australia is fine using Finish Line Dry teflon lube. Just a passing mention from a recent ride: fenders of any sort are a 'no-no', as snow will fly up while riding, hit the fender and then fall directly onto the freewheel.
In countrys that have bad frosts they put salt on the road to lower the melting point of the ice, they do it in NZ but iv never seen it here in Australia

Garyh_GONP07 said:
Toronto goes nuts each winter spreading salt on the roads to keep them from becomming skating rinks...after a major snowfall you end up with a soupy mess...somewhat like a slushy.

The stuff destroys everything...bikes fall apart, cars rust, the roads become very crusty by February....you can't get the taste of salt out of your mouth for 5 months.

And the stuff drains into Lake Ontario and your front lawn in the first rainfall

I have yet to have a winterbike make through two seasons (this year's dept store beater lasted 5 days...the cog set fell apart)

JM01 said:
Toronto goes nuts each winter spreading salt on the roads to keep them from becomming skating rinks...after a major snowfall you end up with a soupy mess...somewhat like a slushy.

The stuff destroys everything...bikes fall apart, cars rust, the roads become very crusty by February....you can't get the taste of salt out of your mouth for 5 months.

And the stuff drains into Lake Ontario and your front lawn in the first rainfall

I have yet to have a winterbike make through two seasons (this year's dept store beater lasted 5 days...the cog set fell apart)

:mad: It all sounds like an environmental disaster! I'm now wondering (aloud) about the people making their way up to The Remarkables from Queenstown, New Zealand, probably on salt-caked roads!?