mountain bike query

Dilbert Firesto

Guest
what do you guys look for in a mountain bike?

is there a site that covers the pro/cons of several mtb models?

someone suggested that I just get wider tires & rims (wheels) for my regular street bike. is this
even a good idea?

Dilbert Firestorm wrote:
> what do you guys look for in a mountain bike?
>
> is there a site that covers the pro/cons of several mtb models?
>
> someone suggested that I just get wider tires & rims (wheels) for my regular street bike. is this
> even a good idea?

What kind of riding do you want to do and over what kind of terrain? What kind of street bike do you
have? Will it take a 2 - 2.2 tire? Does it have "flat" bars.

David

Dilbert Firestorm thoughtfully penned:

http://bbauer.gomen.org/newbike/

On Wed, 04 Jun 2003 21:50:39 -0500, Dilbert Firestorm <scanb31@*no_spam*I-55*no_spam*.com> wrote:

>what do you guys look for in a mountain bike?

SS

>is there a site that covers the pro/cons of several mtb models?

Yes

>someone suggested that I just get wider tires & rims (wheels) for my regular street bike. is this
>even a good idea?

BEST Idea I've heard yet.

Peace and good luck, Bill

:-]

David Kunz wrote:
> Dilbert Firestorm wrote:
>
>> what do you guys look for in a mountain bike?
>>
>> is there a site that covers the pro/cons of several mtb models?
>>
>> someone suggested that I just get wider tires & rims (wheels) for my regular street bike. is this
>> even a good idea?
>

> What kind of riding do you want to do and over what kind of terrain? What kind of street bike do
> you have? Will it take a 2 - 2.2 tire? Does it have "flat" bars.

well, I have a 10 speed street bike (frame prolly made out of steel as brought it from sears 15
years ago).

plan on riding on the levee which is partially paved in one area, but mostly paved with gravel
and/or shell.

not sure what you mean by "flat bars". are you talking about handlebars?

Penny S. wrote:
> Dilbert Firestorm thoughtfully penned:
>
>>what do you guys look for in a mountain bike?
>>
>>is there a site that covers the pro/cons of several mtb models?
>>
>>someone suggested that I just get wider tires & rims (wheels) for my regular street bike. is this
>>even a good idea?
>

> http://bbauer.gomen.org/newbike/

thanx penny for the link.

I didn't know there were different types of MTBs...

Dilbert Firestorm wrote:
> David Kunz wrote:
>
>> Dilbert Firestorm wrote:
>>
>>> what do you guys look for in a mountain bike?
>>>
>>> is there a site that covers the pro/cons of several mtb models?
>>>
>>> someone suggested that I just get wider tires & rims (wheels) for my regular street bike. is
>>> this even a good idea?
>>

>> What kind of riding do you want to do and over what kind of terrain? What kind of street bike do
>> you have? Will it take a 2 - 2.2 tire? Does it have "flat" bars.
>

> well, I have a 10 speed street bike (frame prolly made out of steel as brought it from sears 15
> years ago).
>
> plan on riding on the levee which is partially paved in one area, but mostly paved with gravel
> and/or shell.
>
> not sure what you mean by "flat bars". are you talking about handlebars?

Sounds like it would work just fine for what you want IF you can put tires on it that are wide
enough for the gravel. I tried that once with my old road bike (older than yours :)), but could only
put narrow tires on it -- they had real tread, but were still a narrow tire. It was tough...

By flat bars, I meant not the double curved kind that normally came on older road bikes. IMO,
they're not very easy to manage in an out of seat, weight shifted situation like are the norm off
road. But, for the kind of riding that you describe, it probably won't matter much.

David

Bill Wheeler wrote:
> On Wed, 04 Jun 2003 21:50:39 -0500, Dilbert Firestorm <scanb31@*no_spam*I-55*no_spam*.com> wrote:
>

>>what do you guys look for in a mountain bike?
>

> SS

like that tells me anything....

>>is there a site that covers the pro/cons of several mtb models?
>

> Yes

would you be kind enough to post a couple off links?

http://bbauer.gomen.org/newbike/ try this