Mountain Bike Question

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Kris Lamontagne, Mar 13, 2003.

  1. Hi,

    I'm new to this forum and was wondering if someone can compare an aluminum frame to a chrome-moly
    one? I know that the chrome-moly is stronger but that's about it. The last bike I owned was
    chrome-moly and I loved it but it is long gone. I'm now looking at an aluminum Schwinn. I don't plan
    to ride extreme or anything but I do like to play rough. Is there any reason to stay away from
    aluminum? Should I look for another Chrome-moly bike?

    Thanks

    Tags:

  2. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    Kris Lamontagne wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm new to this forum and was wondering if someone can compare an aluminum frame to a chrome-moly
    > one? I know that the chrome-moly is stronger but that's about it. The last bike I owned was
    > chrome-moly and I loved it but it is long gone. I'm now looking at an aluminum Schwinn. I don't
    > plan to ride extreme or anything but I do like to play rough. Is there any reason to stay away
    > from aluminum? Should I look for another Chrome-moly bike?

    It's generally more about the build quality than the material used. Ride either with confidence.

  3. Thanks. I was just worried because the first bike I ever purchased was steel and I bent the
    forks on it.

    bomba wrote:

    > Kris Lamontagne wrote:
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I'm new to this forum and was wondering if someone can compare an aluminum frame to a
    > > chrome-moly one? I know that the chrome-moly is stronger but that's about it. The last bike I
    > > owned was chrome-moly and I loved it but it is long gone. I'm now looking at an aluminum
    > > Schwinn. I don't plan to ride extreme or anything but I do like to play rough. Is there any
    > > reason to stay away from aluminum? Should I look for another Chrome-moly bike?
    >
    > It's generally more about the build quality than the material used. Ride either with confidence.

  4. Jd

    Jd Guest

    Kris Lamontagne <klamontagne***@agricoreunited.com> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm new to this forum and was wondering if someone can compare an aluminum frame to a chrome-moly
    > one? I know that the chrome-moly is stronger but that's about it. The last bike I owned was
    > chrome-moly and I loved it but it is long gone. I'm now looking at an aluminum Schwinn. I don't
    > plan to ride extreme or anything but I do like to play rough. Is there any reason to stay away
    > from aluminum? Should I look for another Chrome-moly bike?
    >
    > Thanks

    Steel is the real deal. Don't accept any substitutes.

    JD

  5. David Frantz

    David Frantz Guest

    While I can't claim to be an expert, there generally seems to be a lot less discussion of frame
    material here on amb than rec.bicycles.tech (which is mostly road stuff). Consensus seems to be that
    shocks make frame material less important.

    Dave

  6. JD wrote:

    > Kris Lamontagne <klamontagne***@agricoreunited.com> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I'm new to this forum and was wondering if someone can compare an aluminum frame to a
    > > chrome-moly one? I know that the chrome-moly is stronger but that's about it. The last bike I
    > > owned was chrome-moly and I loved it but it is long gone. I'm now looking at an aluminum
    > > Schwinn. I don't plan to ride extreme or anything but I do like to play rough. Is there any
    > > reason to stay away from aluminum? Should I look for another Chrome-moly bike?
    > >
    > > Thanks
    >
    > Steel is the real deal. Don't accept any substitutes.
    >
    > JD

    Come on JD, not all steel bikes are great. I'd take an AL bike over high-ten steel any day. I love
    good nice steel bikes though.