Mountain Bike Question

Kris Lamontagne

Guest
Hi,

I'm new to this forum and was wondering if someone can compare an aluminum frame to a chrome-moly
one? I know that the chrome-moly is stronger but that's about it. The last bike I owned was
chrome-moly and I loved it but it is long gone. I'm now looking at an aluminum Schwinn. I don't plan
to ride extreme or anything but I do like to play rough. Is there any reason to stay away from
aluminum? Should I look for another Chrome-moly bike?

Thanks

Kris Lamontagne wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm new to this forum and was wondering if someone can compare an aluminum frame to a chrome-moly
> one? I know that the chrome-moly is stronger but that's about it. The last bike I owned was
> chrome-moly and I loved it but it is long gone. I'm now looking at an aluminum Schwinn. I don't
> plan to ride extreme or anything but I do like to play rough. Is there any reason to stay away
> from aluminum? Should I look for another Chrome-moly bike?

It's generally more about the build quality than the material used. Ride either with confidence.

Thanks. I was just worried because the first bike I ever purchased was steel and I bent the
forks on it.

bomba wrote:

> Kris Lamontagne wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm new to this forum and was wondering if someone can compare an aluminum frame to a
> > chrome-moly one? I know that the chrome-moly is stronger but that's about it. The last bike I
> > owned was chrome-moly and I loved it but it is long gone. I'm now looking at an aluminum
> > Schwinn. I don't plan to ride extreme or anything but I do like to play rough. Is there any
> > reason to stay away from aluminum? Should I look for another Chrome-moly bike?
>
> It's generally more about the build quality than the material used. Ride either with confidence.

Kris Lamontagne <klamontagne***@agricoreunited.com> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Hi,
>
> I'm new to this forum and was wondering if someone can compare an aluminum frame to a chrome-moly
> one? I know that the chrome-moly is stronger but that's about it. The last bike I owned was
> chrome-moly and I loved it but it is long gone. I'm now looking at an aluminum Schwinn. I don't
> plan to ride extreme or anything but I do like to play rough. Is there any reason to stay away
> from aluminum? Should I look for another Chrome-moly bike?
>
> Thanks

Steel is the real deal. Don't accept any substitutes.

JD

While I can't claim to be an expert, there generally seems to be a lot less discussion of frame
material here on amb than rec.bicycles.tech (which is mostly road stuff). Consensus seems to be that
shocks make frame material less important.

Dave

JD wrote:

> Kris Lamontagne <klamontagne***@agricoreunited.com> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm new to this forum and was wondering if someone can compare an aluminum frame to a
> > chrome-moly one? I know that the chrome-moly is stronger but that's about it. The last bike I
> > owned was chrome-moly and I loved it but it is long gone. I'm now looking at an aluminum
> > Schwinn. I don't plan to ride extreme or anything but I do like to play rough. Is there any
> > reason to stay away from aluminum? Should I look for another Chrome-moly bike?
> >
> > Thanks
>
> Steel is the real deal. Don't accept any substitutes.
>
> JD

Come on JD, not all steel bikes are great. I'd take an AL bike over high-ten steel any day. I love
good nice steel bikes though.