Mountain bike shoes and pedals - beginner questions

David

Guest
I want to gets ome shoes specifically for riding my FullSus XC
mountain bike on trails and occasionally road (not too heavy). I would
like to have some sort of quick release binding to the pedals. Are
these pedals/shoes called "clipless" ? Can pedals be used which
perform both functions for the binding and the normal shoe ?

Do shoes and pedals have to be matched ,or is there a standard fitment
for this kind of thing ?

Can anyone recommend any shoes/pedals ?

Any help appreciated
Dave

On 6 Jul 2004 04:30:43 -0700, David <[email protected]> wrote:

> I want to gets ome shoes specifically for riding my FullSus XC
> mountain bike on trails and occasionally road (not too heavy). I would
> like to have some sort of quick release binding to the pedals. Are
> these pedals/shoes called "clipless" ?

Yes.

> Can pedals be used which
> perform both functions for the binding and the normal shoe ?

If I understand the point then yes. Some pedals are clipless on one side
and flat on the other. Some are clipless both sides but have a 'flattie'
surround. These can be used with ordinary shoes.

> Do shoes and pedals have to be matched ,or is there a standard fitment
> for this kind of thing ?

Most shoes will take a variety of different cleats, the cleats are matched
to the pedals. New pedals will usually come with a pair of cleats. For MTB
shoes the cleats fit into a recess and so the shoe can be used off the
bike to a much graeter extent than 'road' shoes.

> Can anyone recommend any shoes/pedals ?

I use SPDs (Simano and copies thereof) because that's what I first tried
and I now have several different bikes. I have also tried Eggbeater
pedals. The latter are very simple and son't mind getting dirty but they
are not very adjustable. The former can be set to different levels of
tension but are more complex. Both are easy to clip[ in and out of once
set up.

I'll let others comment on Time, Look,...

Colin

"David" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I want to gets ome shoes specifically for riding my FullSus XC
> mountain bike on trails and occasionally road (not too heavy). I would
> like to have some sort of quick release binding to the pedals. Are
> these pedals/shoes called "clipless" ? Can pedals be used which
> perform both functions for the binding and the normal shoe ?
>
> Do shoes and pedals have to be matched ,or is there a standard fitment
> for this kind of thing ?
>
> Can anyone recommend any shoes/pedals ?
>
> Any help appreciated
> Dave

How about these:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/viewproduct.asp?category=Pedals+Clipless&ModelID=4516

or, there is a dual sided offering you can get, I can't remember the model
No, or find a link on CRC. But, I've got them on a couple of bikes, and
they're excellent if a friend wants to use one as they don't have the
clipless cleats on their shoes. Not really a faf spinning the pedal to
engage either.

Regards,
AndyC

David:
> Are these pedals/shoes called "clipless" ?

Yup. Get some. You won't regret it.

> Can pedals be used which
> perform both functions for the binding and the normal shoe ?

You need special shoes with cleats fitted to the bottom to be able to use
clipless pedals. If you want to secure your feet while wearing ordinary
shoes, you need old-fashioned toeclips and straps. But there are plenty of
'clipless' shoes out there than can be worn off the bike so this needn't be
a problem.

> Do shoes and pedals have to be matched ,or is there a standard fitment
> for this kind of thing ?

There are different brands (eg Shimano, Look, Time, Speedplay) with
different fittings - you have to make sure the cleats on your shoes are
compatible with your pedals, and you have to make sure that your cleats will
fit on your shoes (many shoes will take a variety of different cleats but
some are very brand specific).

There are lots of cheap alternative Shimano compatible shoes/pedals out
there but generally the brands aren't compatible with each other.

> Can anyone recommend any shoes/pedals ?

I get on quite well with my SPD-Rs. Haven't tried any other types though, so
can't compare.

d.

David wrote:

> I want to gets ome shoes specifically for riding my FullSus XC
> mountain bike on trails and occasionally road (not too heavy). I would
> like to have some sort of quick release binding to the pedals. Are
> these pedals/shoes called "clipless" ? Can pedals be used which
> perform both functions for the binding and the normal shoe ?
> Do shoes and pedals have to be matched ,or is there a standard fitment
> for this kind of thing ?

Wot the others said: the shoes and the pedals / cleats are separate and most
shoes are compatible with most pedal systems.

For offroad riding the Eggbeater pedal system is reckoned to be the dog's
danglers. Failing that SPD is widely available and cheap clone pedals can
be had.

--
Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

in message <[email protected]>, Just zis Guy, you know?
('[email protected]') wrote:

> David wrote:
>
>> I want to gets ome shoes specifically for riding my FullSus XC
>> mountain bike on trails and occasionally road (not too heavy). I
>> would like to have some sort of quick release binding to the pedals.
>> Are these pedals/shoes called "clipless" ? Can pedals be used which
>> perform both functions for the binding and the normal shoe ?
>> Do shoes and pedals have to be matched ,or is there a standard
>> fitment for this kind of thing ?

> Wot the others said: the shoes and the pedals / cleats are separate
> and most shoes are compatible with most pedal systems.
>
> For offroad riding the Eggbeater pedal system is reckoned to be the
> dog's
> danglers.

Eggbeaters clear mud very well but put your foot quite a long way from
the pedal axis. So they have some benefits and some drawbacks, like
most other things. Said to be good in very muddy conditions.

For office use only. Please do not write or type below this line.