Mountain bike shoes and pedals - beginner questions

David

Guest
I want to gets ome shoes specifically for riding my FullSus
XC mountain bike on trails and occasionally road (not too
heavy). I would like to have some sort of quick release
binding to the pedals. Are these pedals/shoes called
"clipless" ? Can pedals be used which perform both functions
for the binding and the normal shoe ?

Do shoes and pedals have to be matched ,or is there a
standard fitment for this kind of thing ?

Can anyone recommend any shoes/pedals ?

Any help appreciated Dave

On 6 Jul 2004 04:30:43 -0700, David <[email protected]> wrote:

> I want to gets ome shoes specifically for riding my
> FullSus XC mountain bike on trails and occasionally road
> (not too heavy). I would like to have some sort of quick
> release binding to the pedals. Are these pedals/shoes
> called "clipless" ?

Yes.

> Can pedals be used which perform both functions for the
> binding and the normal shoe ?

If I understand the point then yes. Some pedals are clipless
on one side and flat on the other. Some are clipless both
sides but have a 'flattie' surround. These can be used with
ordinary shoes.

> Do shoes and pedals have to be matched ,or is there a
> standard fitment for this kind of thing ?

Most shoes will take a variety of different cleats, the
cleats are matched to the pedals. New pedals will usually
come with a pair of cleats. For MTB shoes the cleats fit
into a recess and so the shoe can be used off the bike to a
much graeter extent than 'road' shoes.

> Can anyone recommend any shoes/pedals ?

I use SPDs (Simano and copies thereof) because that's what
I first tried and I now have several different bikes. I
have also tried Eggbeater pedals. The latter are very
simple and son't mind getting dirty but they are not very
adjustable. The former can be set to different levels of
tension but are more complex. Both are easy to clip[ in and
out of once set up.

I'll let others comment on Time, Look,...

Colin

"David" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I want to gets ome shoes specifically for riding my
> FullSus XC mountain bike on trails and occasionally road
> (not too heavy). I would like to have some sort of quick
> release binding to the pedals. Are these pedals/shoes
> called "clipless" ? Can pedals be used which perform both
> functions for the binding and the normal shoe ?
>
> Do shoes and pedals have to be matched ,or is there a
> standard fitment for this kind of thing ?
>
> Can anyone recommend any shoes/pedals ?
>
> Any help appreciated Dave

How about these:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/viewproduct.asp?category-
=Pedals+Clipless&ModelID=4516

or, there is a dual sided offering you can get, I can't
remember the model No, or find a link on CRC. But, I've got
them on a couple of bikes, and they're excellent if a
friend wants to use one as they don't have the clipless
cleats on their shoes. Not really a faf spinning the pedal
to engage either.

Regards, AndyC

David:
> Are these pedals/shoes called "clipless" ?

Yup. Get some. You won't regret it.

> Can pedals be used which perform both functions for the
> binding and the normal shoe ?

You need special shoes with cleats fitted to the bottom to
be able to use clipless pedals. If you want to secure your
feet while wearing ordinary shoes, you need old-fashioned
toeclips and straps. But there are plenty of 'clipless'
shoes out there than can be worn off the bike so this
needn't be a problem.

> Do shoes and pedals have to be matched ,or is there a
> standard fitment for this kind of thing ?

There are different brands (eg Shimano, Look, Time,
Speedplay) with different fittings - you have to make sure
the cleats on your shoes are compatible with your pedals,
and you have to make sure that your cleats will fit on your
shoes (many shoes will take a variety of different cleats
but some are very brand specific).

There are lots of cheap alternative Shimano compatible
shoes/pedals out there but generally the brands aren't
compatible with each other.

> Can anyone recommend any shoes/pedals ?

I get on quite well with my SPD-Rs. Haven't tried any other
types though, so can't compare.

d.

David wrote:

> I want to gets ome shoes specifically for riding my
> FullSus XC mountain bike on trails and occasionally road
> (not too heavy). I would like to have some sort of quick
> release binding to the pedals. Are these pedals/shoes
> called "clipless" ? Can pedals be used which perform both
> functions for the binding and the normal shoe ? Do shoes
> and pedals have to be matched ,or is there a standard
> fitment for this kind of thing ?

Wot the others said: the shoes and the pedals / cleats
are separate and most shoes are compatible with most
pedal systems.

For offroad riding the Eggbeater pedal system is reckoned to
be the dog's danglers. Failing that SPD is widely available
and cheap clone pedals can be had.

--
Guy
posting. http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

in message <[email protected]>, Just zis Guy, you know?
('[email protected]') wrote:

> David wrote:
>
>> I want to gets ome shoes specifically for riding my
>> FullSus XC mountain bike on trails and occasionally road
>> (not too heavy). I would like to have some sort of quick
>> release binding to the pedals. Are these pedals/shoes
>> called "clipless" ? Can pedals be used which perform both
>> functions for the binding and the normal shoe ? Do shoes
>> and pedals have to be matched ,or is there a standard
>> fitment for this kind of thing ?
>
> Wot the others said: the shoes and the pedals / cleats are
> separate and most shoes are compatible with most pedal
> systems.
>
> For offroad riding the Eggbeater pedal system is reckoned
> to be the dog's danglers.

Eggbeaters clear mud very well but put your foot quite a
long way from the pedal axis. So they have some benefits and
some drawbacks, like most other things. Said to be good in
very muddy conditions.

--
[email protected] (Simon Brooke)
http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

For office use only. Please do not write or type
below this line.