Mountain Bike Shorts Sizing

CWaldman

Guest
I bought a pair of mountain bike shorts online. This is my second pair
of shorts. One is a Mt Borah brand and this time it is a Trek brand.
They are both a size small but the Trek brand is a much newer model
(the Mt Borah's are made back in yr. 2000). The new Trek brand are way
larger, longer, and baggier. I am not sure if they are supposed to fit
this way or not.

How do you tell if mountain/baggy bike shorts fit correctly? I tried
looking for some examples of people wearing them online but nothing I
found really helped me determine if these fit well.

Thanks.

"CWaldman" <[email protected]> wrote:

>How do you tell if mountain/baggy bike shorts fit correctly? I tried
>looking for some examples of people wearing them online but nothing I
>found really helped me determine if these fit well.

Be sure to get them loose enough that there's room in the back for any
terrain-induced excrementitious release.

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $695 ti frame

Mark Hickey wrote:
> "CWaldman" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> How do you tell if mountain/baggy bike shorts fit correctly? I tried
>> looking for some examples of people wearing them online but nothing I
>> found really helped me determine if these fit well.

> Be sure to get them loose enough that there's room in the back for any
> terrain-induced excrementitious release.

How long ya been holding THAT one in reserve?!?

Looking for $.25, BS

Mark Hickey wrote:
> "CWaldman" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> How do you tell if mountain/baggy bike shorts fit correctly? I tried
>> looking for some examples of people wearing them online but nothing I
>> found really helped me determine if these fit well.

> Be sure to get them loose enough that there's room in the back for any
> terrain-induced excrementitious release.

Hehehehe...Like from riding down National Trail on South Mountain! Aren't
you out here in the southwest somewhere? I'm in Phoenix for the rest of the
month.

Mike

CWaldman wrote:
> I bought a pair of mountain bike shorts online. This is my second pair
> of shorts. One is a Mt Borah brand and this time it is a Trek brand.
> They are both a size small but the Trek brand is a much newer model
> (the Mt Borah's are made back in yr. 2000). The new Trek brand are way
> larger, longer, and baggier. I am not sure if they are supposed to fit
> this way or not.
>
> How do you tell if mountain/baggy bike shorts fit correctly? I tried
> looking for some examples of people wearing them online but nothing I
> found really helped me determine if these fit well.

As long as they don't get hung up on the saddle or get caught on the rear
tire when you move off the back they should be alright.

Mike

"Michael Dart" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Mark Hickey wrote:
>> "CWaldman" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>> How do you tell if mountain/baggy bike shorts fit correctly? I tried
>>> looking for some examples of people wearing them online but nothing I
>>> found really helped me determine if these fit well.

>> Be sure to get them loose enough that there's room in the back for any
>> terrain-induced excrementitious release.

>Hehehehe...Like from riding down National Trail on South Mountain! Aren't
>you out here in the southwest somewhere? I'm in Phoenix for the rest of the
>month.

That's what I was thinking of when I wrote that (think "waterfall").
I live just a few miles from South Mountain, actually, though the last
rides I've done there were on a 'cross bike (and no, not up/down
national though a friend of mine used to do that on one of my 'cross
bikes).

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $695 ti frame

Mark Hickey wrote:
> "CWaldman" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >How do you tell if mountain/baggy bike shorts fit correctly? I tried
> >looking for some examples of people wearing them online but nothing

> >found really helped me determine if these fit well.

> Be sure to get them loose enough that there's room in the back for

any
> terrain-induced excrementitious release.
>
> Mark Hickey
> Habanero Cycles
> http://www.habcycles.com
> Home of the $695 ti frame

That's GROSS!!!
Yuk.
Ewwww
GROSS.
I didn't need to read that.

Maggie

To be wronged is nothing unless you continue to remember it.
-Confucius

"CWaldman" <[email protected]> wrote in news:1107907385.562674.228540
@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

> I bought a pair of mountain bike shorts online. This is my second pair
> of shorts. One is a Mt Borah brand and this time it is a Trek brand.
> They are both a size small but the Trek brand is a much newer model
> (the Mt Borah's are made back in yr. 2000). The new Trek brand are way
> larger, longer, and baggier. I am not sure if they are supposed to fit
> this way or not.
>
> How do you tell if mountain/baggy bike shorts fit correctly? I tried
> looking for some examples of people wearing them online but nothing I
> found really helped me determine if these fit well.
>
> Thanks.

I started with mountain bike shorts, and then started road riding to give
me more MTB endurance. I bit the bullet and bought bibs for road biking
Though they look very metrosexual (or worse), they are far superior for ANY
bike riding than baggy shorts. They don't slip down, and they don't get
hung on the seat when shifting positions up and down hills.

Trust me on this. My wife laughed hysterically when she saw me the first
time. A friend asked why I was wearing a ballet outfit. This was quite
degrading to my man-liness. But, I have 3 pairs now, and never wear my
baggy shorts to ride.

PS - If you're wondering, I do NOT shave my legs! (I would if it helped me
climb hills!) ha ha ha!

PatC wrote:

> PS - If you're wondering, I do NOT shave my legs! (I would if it helped me
> climb hills!) ha ha ha!

Think of the reduction in RECIPROCATING WEIGHT that would be obtained by
shaving your legs!!! ;)

--
Tom Sherman - Earth

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 01:11:11 GMT, PatC <[email protected]> wrote:

>"CWaldman" <[email protected]> wrote in news:1107907385.562674.228540
>@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:
>
>> I bought a pair of mountain bike shorts online. This is my second pair
>> of shorts. One is a Mt Borah brand and this time it is a Trek brand.
>> They are both a size small but the Trek brand is a much newer model
>> (the Mt Borah's are made back in yr. 2000). The new Trek brand are way
>> larger, longer, and baggier. I am not sure if they are supposed to fit
>> this way or not.
>>
>> How do you tell if mountain/baggy bike shorts fit correctly? I tried
>> looking for some examples of people wearing them online but nothing I
>> found really helped me determine if these fit well.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>

>I started with mountain bike shorts, and then started road riding to give
>me more MTB endurance. I bit the bullet and bought bibs for road biking
>Though they look very metrosexual (or worse), they are far superior for ANY
>bike riding than baggy shorts. They don't slip down, and they don't get
>hung on the seat when shifting positions up and down hills.
>
>Trust me on this. My wife laughed hysterically when she saw me the first
>time. A friend asked why I was wearing a ballet outfit. This was quite
>degrading to my man-liness.

I have absolutely no issues whatsoever about wearing spandex shorts anywhere, as
long as I have at least one hand ON THE BIKE. I cannot bring myself to walk away
from the bike in shorts. I'll go ride at a trail, load the bike into the back of
the (avert your eyes gentle envirowhacks) SUV and am then paralyzed and only by
a great force of will, knowing it is my only shelter, can I walk around to get
in the driver's door.

Actually that's all exaggeration. Mostly. Sort of.

>PS - If you're wondering, I do NOT shave my legs! (I would if it helped me
>climb hills!) ha ha ha!

Ha, I'm in Florida and don't have hills.

Ron

"Maggie" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Mark Hickey wrote:
>> "CWaldman" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> >How do you tell if mountain/baggy bike shorts fit correctly? I tried
>> >looking for some examples of people wearing them online but nothing

>> >found really helped me determine if these fit well.

>> Be sure to get them loose enough that there's room in the back for

>any
>> terrain-induced excrementitious release.

>That's GROSS!!!
>Yuk.
>Ewwww
>GROSS.
>I didn't need to read that.

Maggie, why do you think the MTBers wear those baggy shorts anyway?
The roadies get away with spandex because all those miles they ride
helps them develop better bowel control.

Mark "always glad to help explain things" Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $695 ti frame

Mark Hickey wrote:
> "Maggie" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Mark Hickey wrote:

tried

nothing

> >> Be sure to get them loose enough that there's room in the back for

> >any
> >> terrain-induced excrementitious release.

> >That's GROSS!!!
> >Yuk.
> >Ewwww
> >GROSS.
> >I didn't need to read that.

> Maggie, why do you think the MTBers wear those baggy shorts anyway?
> The roadies get away with spandex because all those miles they ride
> helps them develop better bowel control.
>
> Mark "always glad to help explain things" Hickey
> Habanero Cycles
> http://www.habcycles.com
> Home of the $695 ti frame

Thanks for the explanation. I think I will strive to be a
roadie...with better bladder control. The MTB scenario doesn't sound
very pleasant.
All Good Things
Maggie

Thanks. I am used to wearing reg. bike shorts which fit snug. Are mtb
shorts supposed to hang down even in the liner or is the liner also
supposed to be snug? I at first thought the liner was supposed to be
snug but now I see certain shorts with pull straps that go around your
crotch so you can make the liner fit snug when you're riding. Sound
correct?

"CWaldman" <[email protected]> wrote in news:1108056328.761273.207710
@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:

> Thanks. I am used to wearing reg. bike shorts which fit snug. Are mtb
> shorts supposed to hang down even in the liner or is the liner also
> supposed to be snug? I at first thought the liner was supposed to be
> snug but now I see certain shorts with pull straps that go around your
> crotch so you can make the liner fit snug when you're riding. Sound
> correct?

If you feel like you're wearing a diaper, the chamois is fitting about
right. You want it to fit tight enough that it's not bunching up or
sliding around, but not so tight your body parts are gonna fall off after 2
or 3 hours.

Hah! I like that - reciprocating weight! I thought it was complicated
enough talking about rotational weight! LOL!

Maggie wrote:
> Mark Hickey wrote:

>>> That's GROSS!!!
>>> Yuk.
>>> Ewwww
>>> GROSS.
>>> I didn't need to read that.

>> Maggie, why do you think the MTBers wear those baggy shorts anyway?
>> The roadies get away with spandex because all those miles they ride
>> helps them develop better bowel control.
>>
>> Mark "always glad to help explain things" Hickey
>> Habanero Cycles
>> http://www.habcycles.com
>> Home of the $695 ti frame

> Thanks for the explanation. I think I will strive to be a
> roadie...with better bladder control. The MTB scenario doesn't sound
> very pleasant.
> All Good Things
> Maggie

Hehehe...It's not all that bad now. I still wear spandex and ride MTB's
exclusively. I still scare the **** outta myself occaisionally but have
never "lost control" of myself.

Bikes, wherever you ride 'em it's all good.

Mike