Mountain bike sizing

Steve420

Aug 22, 2004
I have a question regarding a possible mountain bike purchase. It is a 2003 rocky mountain slayer 16.5", and I am 6 ft. tall. I test rode the bike and it felt awesome....very comfortable fit, with plenty of seat height. Is this unrealistic?? Since it is full suspension, it sits a little higher, but it is still touching me when I stand over the top tube. I don't have the option to try larger sizes (two larger sizes of this bike available and (as of this year) one smaller), and the deal is great! I know that the fit varies a lot between mountain bikes, but is there any unforseen issues other than how it feels on a small test ride (with a small hill climb test)? Any input is much appreciated.

Steve420 said:
I have a question regarding a possible mountain bike purchase. It is a 2003 rocky mountain slayer 16.5", and I am 6 ft. tall. I test rode the bike and it felt awesome....very comfortable fit, with plenty of seat height. Is this unrealistic?? Since it is full suspension, it sits a little higher, but it is still touching me when I stand over the top tube. I don't have the option to try larger sizes (two larger sizes of this bike available and (as of this year) one smaller), and the deal is great! I know that the fit varies a lot between mountain bikes, but is there any unforseen issues other than how it feels on a small test ride (with a small hill climb test)? Any input is much appreciated.
Bummer, do they have the manufacturers catalogue? It sometimes lists frame sizes & corresponding recommended rider hieght's Also, sometimes it says on the box- the recommended standover hieght's. From what I understand, it is recommended to have a 2-4 in. standover hieght. I know the temptation must be great, but there are downsides to larger frames such as higher center of gravity, increased frame wieght, harder handling, higher probability of getting "racked", ect...

davidmc said:
Bummer, do they have the manufacturers catalogue? It sometimes lists frame sizes & corresponding recommended rider hieght's Also, sometimes it says on the box- the recommended standover hieght's. From what I understand, it is recommended to have a 2-4 in. standover hieght. I know the temptation must be great, but there are downsides to larger frames such as higher center of gravity, increased frame wieght, harder handling, higher probability of getting "racked", ect...
Much thanks for the input!!!
These points are definitely part of my confusion, in that the 16.5" is a relatively small frame (smallest of 3 in 2003), and I don't know why it would fit someone who is 6ft. tall. Unfortunately, the sale is through a resale shop...so no manuals. But, very valid points...I like the idea of...lower center of gravity...lighter...better handling...and NOT getting "racked"!! Thanks again.

Steve420 said:

that bike is WAY too small for you. I'm 5'2.5" and I used to ride a Rocky Element 16.5.

at 6' tall, I can't believe you'd be able to get full leg extension.

I found the following geometry sizing:

16.5"

TopTube 555mm (21.85")
Wheelbase 1060mm (41.73")
Stand Over Height 773mm (30.43")

The stand over height is quite high compared to other FS bikes, i.e. Blur Med 29.8", Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Medium 29", so it might be ok for you, but TopTube length is just way too short. You might need to move up to at least the next size up.

Good luck.

Steve420 said:
Much thanks for the input!!!
These points are definitely part of my confusion, in that the 16.5" is a relatively small frame (smallest of 3 in 2003), and I don't know why it would fit someone who is 6ft. tall. Unfortunately, the sale is through a resale shop...so no manuals. But, very valid points...I like the idea of...lower center of gravity...lighter...better handling...and NOT getting "racked"!! Thanks again.
I would seriously contemplate getting a med. but you say there is'nt one avail., correct?

Thanks for all the input....I guess the best way to really find out, is to try it out on the trail....or make a trip to try other sizes.....things that make you go hmmmm!!!

Steve420 said:
Thanks for all the input....I guess the best way to really find out, is to try it out on the trail....or make a trip to try other sizes.....things that make you go hmmmm!!!
The reason i thought u were thinking about getting a sm bcause that was the only size avail. Thats why i said the temptation must b great but frm your post i would say that u r better suited 4 a med size frame. My rule of thumb is - i stand over the toptube(flatfooted) then if its less than 4 in. clearance, ok if its more than 4 in. clearance-try next size frame up. Thats just one of the primary sizing methods

Don't get stung like I did with being sold a small (46cm) frame because
that's what the guy in the shop had.
It took me about two years to wake up to the fact that the severe
knee and pain was from the small frame which I was told
was quite suited to my height of 6'2. The salesman sat me on the bike
and adjusted the seat for me saying it was right....sorry to any genuine
sales persons in bike shops but I now do not believe a word
they tell me after this expensive mistake. It was my first serious
MTB and I had no idea about bike fit so was taken advantage of.
It certainly did feel good to ride...after a no name rigid with ****
friction shift gears...but after 30km of uphill the wrong size would
make itself evident. Standing this bike next to my newer 51cm it was
like the difference between black and white...I can ride that bike 100km and feel refreshed with
no pain at the end of it.
If a bike frame is not "large" or at least 20"/51cm I just won't go near it...sales persons
can ******** till they're blue in the face but I won't touch it.

Steve420 said:

mds2076 said:
Don't get stung like I did with being sold a small (46cm) frame because
that's what the guy in the shop had.
It took me about two years to wake up to the fact that the severe
knee and pain was from the small frame which I was told
was quite suited to my height of 6'2. The salesman sat me on the bike
and adjusted the seat for me saying it was right....sorry to any genuine
sales persons in bike shops but I now do not believe a word
they tell me after this expensive mistake. It was my first serious
MTB and I had no idea about bike fit so was taken advantage of.
It certainly did feel good to ride...after a no name rigid with ****
friction shift gears...but after 30km of uphill the wrong size would
make itself evident. Standing this bike next to my newer 51cm it was
like the difference between black and white...I can ride that bike 100km and feel refreshed with
no pain at the end of it.
If a bike frame is not "large" or at least 20"/51cm I just won't go near it...sales persons
can ******** till they're blue in the face but I won't touch it.

I have been riding road bikes for years but just started into MTB. What is standover and why is it important?
Sniper8052

Sniper8052 said:
I have been riding road bikes for years but just started into MTB. What is standover and why is it important?
Sniper8052
standover is when you stand "flatfooted" over the "toptube" wearing shoes of the same sole thickness that you normally ride with. The toptube is the uppermost, horizontal tube, on the traditional bike frame. If you lift the bike up, while you're standing over it, you should have these clearances between the bike & your crotch. From the bikes i've dealt w/, one should have:
roadbike-1"(inch) clearance over toptube
mountainbike-2-4"(inch) " " "
hybrid-2-3"(inch) " " "
i could be mistaken on the hybrid but, who would want one anyway! :)
If anyone has any other input different from mine, feel free. These are just some of the bikes i've dealt with.
Roadbikes are meant to ride on smoother surfaces, than mtnbikes, hence; the shorter standover.