Mountain bike sizing

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Mike, Mar 17, 2003.

  1. Mike

    Mike Guest

    With mountain bikes being sized different than road bikes, I am curious as to the approx. size to
    look for. I'm 6'0" with a 33" inseam. Thanks Mike

    Tags:

  2. Ken

    Ken Guest

    "Mike" <[email protected]> wrote in news:v7cttbrhdoir32 @corp.supernews.com:

    > With mountain bikes being sized different than road bikes, I am curious as to the approx. size to
    > look for.

    Sizing varies widely from brand to brand. You really need to test ride the bikes. Especially for
    taller riders, "virtual" top tube length is more important than stand over height.

    Ken

  3. Bruce

    Bruce Guest

    Mike wrote:
    > With mountain bikes being sized different than road bikes, I am curious as to the approx. size to
    > look for. I'm 6'0" with a 33" inseam.

    Try "large". Conventional frame size measurements dont make much sense on modern mountain bikes.
    Just be sure the seat goes high enough, and there is enough clearance between balls and top-tube,
    with feet on the ground. The more the better, when going off-road. Of course, its a compromise with
    strength and rigidity (which are traded against frame weight, ...)

    BTW, why is frame size, as measured by seat-tube length, considered so important on road bikes? So
    long as the seat is in the right place, does it really matter that much exactly how high the
    top-tube is?

  4. > BTW, why is frame size, as measured by seat-tube length, considered so important on road bikes? So
    > long as the seat is in the right place, does it really matter that much exactly how high the
    > top-tube is?

    It matters because it gives you an idea of where the handlebar is going to be. There are only three
    points of contact (hopefully!) on a bike. Seat, pedals and bars. It's all about defining that
    geometry, and frame "height" help determine the front end. Curious that we measure the rear-center
    of the bike to get an idea of the front height, isn't it?

    "Bruce" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Mike wrote:
    > > With mountain bikes being sized different than road bikes, I am curious
    as
    > > to the approx. size to look for. I'm 6'0" with a 33" inseam.
    >
    > Try "large". Conventional frame size measurements dont make much sense on modern mountain bikes.
    > Just be sure the seat goes high enough, and there is enough clearance between balls and top-tube,
    > with feet on the ground. The more the better, when going off-road. Of course, its a compromise
    > with strength and rigidity (which are traded against frame weight, ...)
    >
    > BTW, why is frame size, as measured by seat-tube length, considered so important on road bikes? So
    > long as the seat is in the right place, does it really matter that much exactly how high the
    > top-tube is?

  5. Ajames54™

    Ajames54™ Guest

    On Mon, 17 Mar 2003 19:33:23 -0600, "Mike" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >With mountain bikes being sized different than road bikes, I am curious as to the approx. size to
    >look for. I'm 6'0" with a 33" inseam. Thanks Mike

    Mountain bikes vary greatly in their basic geometry far more so than road bikes you really have to
    try them out... that being said your measurements exactly match mine so I will say my Kestrel is
    19.5" and my Gunnar is 19" I used to have a 19" Mountain Goat as well ... however my old
    RockyMountain was an 18" they had a longer than average top tube measurement (and I was much more
    flexible way back then..sigh)

  6. molson-<< With mountain bikes being sized different than road bikes, I am curious as to the approx.
    size to look for. I'm 6'0" with a 33" inseam.

    mtb bikes are sized like road bikes and inseam means little when compared to femur length(seat tube
    angle) and torso/arm length coupled with flexibility(effective top tube length and stem length).

    In addition, since a one 'size' of a MTB frameset(say a 17 inch) vaires wildly from manufacturer to
    manufacturer, cannot really say what size you need.

    For the reasons above-

  7. bruce-<< BTW, why is frame size, as measured by seat-tube length, considered so important on road
    bikes? So long as the seat is in the right place, does it really matter that much exactly how high
    the top-tube is?

    A road frame 'size' means as little on a road frameset as it does on a MTB frameset. Size, measured
    in seat tube length, means nada. Seat tube angle and top tube length are important, but are seldom
    included and vary wildly from maker to maker.

  8. Terry Morse

    Terry Morse Guest

    Bruce wrote:

    > BTW, why is frame size, as measured by seat-tube length, considered so important on road bikes? So
    > long as the seat is in the right place, does it really matter that much exactly how high the
    > top-tube is?

    Top tube height is important if you want to get your handlebar height anywhere close to your saddle
    height. Today's fashion is to have the bars several inches below the saddle, presumably because it
    "looks racy".

  9. Matt O'Toole

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    "Mike" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > With mountain bikes being sized different than road bikes,
    I am curious as
    > to the approx. size to look for. I'm 6'0" with a 33" inseam.

    "Large."

    Matt O.

  10. Matt O'Toole

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    > > BTW, why is frame size, as measured by seat-tube length,
    considered so
    > > important on road bikes? So long as the seat is in the
    right place, does
    > > it really matter that much exactly how high the top-tube
    is?

    > It matters because it gives you an idea of where the
    handlebar is going to
    > be. There are only three points of contact (hopefully!)
    on a bike. Seat,
    > pedals and bars. It's all about defining that geometry,
    and frame "height"
    > help determine the front end. Curious that we measure the
    rear-center of
    > the bike to get an idea of the front height, isn't it?

    This is true. The biggest problem for a tall rider is getting the handlebar high enough. If your
    frame is too small, the cockpit length can be adjusted with a longer stem, but the bar may still
    be too low.

    Matt O.

  11. Ajames54

    Ajames54 Guest

    On Thu, 22 May 2003 22:35:09 GMT, "Matt O'Toole" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"Mike" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >
    >> With mountain bikes being sized different than road bikes,
    >I am curious as
    >> to the approx. size to look for. I'm 6'0" with a 33" inseam.
    >
    >"Large."
    >
    >Matt O.

    As long as large is somewhere between 18.5 and 20.5 (depending on frame type)

  12. Peter Cole

    Peter Cole Guest

    > This is true. The biggest problem for a tall rider is getting the handlebar high enough. If your
    > frame is too small, the cockpit length can be adjusted with a longer stem, but the bar may still
    > be too low.

    As a very tall rider (6'10", 210cm), I disagree. You can extend the steerer tube and/or use
    hi-rise stems/bars to get the bars arbitrarily high. Getting the cockpit length and fore-aft
    balance are more difficult, since as you extend the seatpost and steerer, the center of gravity
    shifts backwards. Using a very long reach stem (if they were even made) screws up steering. Tall
    riders need more wheelbase (for stability), too. The critical frame dimension for a tall person is
    toptube length.