Mountain Bike Suggestions

w3rd

Guest
Hi,

I'm currently looking to buy a mountain bike for use on the local
trail/forest trails, im looking to spend around 200 quid, maybee a few quid
more if need be. I realise this doesnt buy much of a bike so am just trying
to find the best possible for the money. Edinburgh Bicycle Cooperative seem
to be highly regarded, i've checked their site, and the Edinburgh Cuillin
2HT and 3HT seem to fit the bill (£189 + 229). Can anyone comment on these
bikes? or reccomend a better bike for the same sort of price range?

Thanks in Advance

w3rd

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 20:28:08 +0100, w3rd wrote:

> I'm currently looking to buy a mountain bike for use on the local
> trail/forest trails, im looking to spend around 200 quid, maybee a few quid
> more if need be. I realise this doesnt buy much of a bike so am just trying
> to find the best possible for the money. Edinburgh Bicycle Cooperative seem
> to be highly regarded, i've checked their site, and the Edinburgh Cuillin
> 2HT and 3HT seem to fit the bill (£189 + 229). Can anyone comment on these
> bikes? or reccomend a better bike for the same sort of price range?

The best value would be to buy a secondhand one for £200.It will be
better than a £200 new bike.Check out the ads on the forum at
www.singletrack.co.uk
Alan.

http://www.dvatc.co.uk - Off-road cycling in the North Midlands.

"w3rd" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi,
>
> I'm currently looking to buy a mountain bike for use on the local
> trail/forest trails, im looking to spend around 200 quid, maybee a few

quid
> more if need be. I realise this doesnt buy much of a bike so am just

trying
> to find the best possible for the money. Edinburgh Bicycle Cooperative

seem
> to be highly regarded, i've checked their site, and the Edinburgh Cuillin
> 2HT and 3HT seem to fit the bill (£189 + 229). Can anyone comment on

these
> bikes? or reccomend a better bike for the same sort of price range?
>
> Thanks in Advance
>
> w3rd

We bought one and one of the ladies' version about 3 years ago. We decided
against suspension at this price range as the bikes were to be general
purpose hacks We sail so they go in bags on the boat and at the moment they
are resting in a French stable till we get out there again where they will
be used for trips thruogh the Forest; giong to buy the bread and short tours
of the local cafes.
The spec has improved since then without an increase in price. The tyres we
got on ours were ****; likewise the pedals. Both of these problem areas have
been sorted on the new version of the bike; additionally the chainset is
better quality.
The only problem really left is the wheels - no name freehubs. my front hub
has given up the ghost as pushfit parts aren't ideally suited to adjustment.

However for what you pay it's good value; the heart of the bike - the frame
is excellent and we have gradually upgraded bits as required.

HTH
Julia